Verizon fine $1.25mil for blocking tethering apps

NovaSS369

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Definitely a big win for the older users who have to pay for it. Since I just re-uped its included for the data price though I got rather screwed having to go from $30 unlimited data to $60 for 2GB for the whole family.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Fyi, foxfi or even the stock app works but you have to activate with a 3rd party widget like elixir, power widgets, etc.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
One can have access to the apps now from VZN but that doesn't mean they can't do something on their end that would require you to pay for the tethering.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if they'll still be able to charge unlimited data users, since the FCC announcement said Verizon had changed its policies to cover usage-based consumers.

Also, if you read the FCC announcement, I have to wonder if it could be used to force Verizon to allow Google Wallet.

The press release said: "Verizon Wireless offers customers its 4G LTE service on C Block spectrum. Verizon Wireless bid at auction to acquire that spectrum, understanding that it was accompanied by open device and application obligations. Specifically, licensees offering service on C Block spectrum “shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee’s C Block
network,” subject to narrow exceptions."

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2012/db0731/DOC-315501A1.pdf

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait to go find all of my (very old) subscribed threads arguing about whether or not what Verizon was doing was illegal, and saying I TOLD YOU SO!

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Ha..................Glad to hear! But it should be noted:

Customers on older unlimited plans must still pay the tethering fee, though Verizon will presumably no longer block tethering apps on the Play Store for those persons. The caveat likely being, of course, that if Verizon catches you tethering without a plan, they'll "help you" (force you to) switch to one of the new Share Everything plans.

Not sure how they will enforce or even if they can?

Dunbar42

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

What would be the point of this ruling if Verizon can still charge you extra for tethering? Why would the FCC even bother? If Verizon tried to force you into a Share Everything plan I'm pretty sure you could cancel without having to pay an ETF. This is just going to be a temporary issue for Verizon until they can get everybody switched over to Share Everything which has "free" tethering.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Customers on older unlimited plans must still pay the tethering fee, though Verizon will presumably no longer block tethering apps on the Play Store for those persons. The caveat likely being, of course, that if Verizon catches you tethering without a plan, they'll "help you" (force you to) switch to one of the new Share Everything plans.

Just speculation as nothing has stated that. Nothing in the TOS says they can force you onto another plan. Sure Verizon can view your usage as being detrimental to the network and give you the boot completely but most aren't going to get high enough to draw there attention. Don't be an idiot with it and you'll be fine which has been the case all along.

Dunbar42

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Sure Verizon can view your usage as being detrimental to the network and give you the boot completely but most aren't going to get high enough to draw there attention.

The article says it doesn't apply to unlimited plans. How could they argue somebody on a tiered data plan is abusing the network?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The article says it doesn't apply to unlimited plans. How could they argue somebody on a tiered data plan is abusing the network?

I was referring to those on unlimited plans. As far as not applying to unlimited plans, it's just heresay until Verizon says something as the FCC release mentions nothing about them being excluded specifically. My guess is the policy for unlimited plans will go as it's always been with the don't be stupid approach.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has already said that they won't force people to share everything plans, I highly doubt that they would reneg. Now, they may do something like switch you to tiered data or perhaps cancel you altogether, but switching to share everything. I just don't see it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I use FoxFi and don't have to do anything but manually setup the ssid and password ?
Yeah, you do not have to set up anything on the stock app either, though,, if you do not have a subscription to mhs, then you will have to activate it by third party widget. Of course, foxfi doesn't have this requirement, only the stock app does.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I was referring to those on unlimited plans. As far as not applying to unlimited plans, it's just heresay until Verizon says something as the FCC release mentions nothing about them being excluded specifically. My guess is the policy for unlimited plans will go as it's always been with the don't be stupid approach.

Those on unlimited plans will still be required to pay the fee, the ruling only applies to capped plans. A few different sites have noted as much.

As for them forcing you I'm sure in the very long contract/TOS that none of us read there is something about data abuse. So if they think you're abusing data that would be a breach of contract or terms of service.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Those on unlimited plans will still be required to pay the fee, the ruling only applies to capped plans. A few different sites have noted as much.

Nothing has officially been stated about unlimited plans, just different sites speculating. Sure I doubt Verizon will enable the hotspot feature for those on unlimited plans (granted what do they have to lose, I mean most only use 2GB or less right????? At least according to Verizon.) But they're also not going to actually block the apps in the market just for those on unlimited plans as they CAN'T. As I said, I'm guessing the existing TOS will still be in effect and Verizon still reserves the right to terminate those tethering in excess as always. But as long as you're not an idiot as I said before, then nothing to worry about. Don't expect to use that unlimited plan as a primary internet connection and torrent 24/7 and then get surprised if Verizon doesn't like it.

Dunbar42

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I found another article that that quotes the FCC and makes it pretty clear that A) This doesn't apply to unlimited plans, and B) Does not allow Verizon to charge customers extra for tethering with a 3rd party app.

“Under the terms of today’s settlement (Verizon)...revised its service offerings such that consumers on usage-based pricing plans may tether, using any application, without paying an additional fee.”

Let my Wi-Fi go: FCC rules Verizon can't charge for Wi-Fi tethering | ZDNet

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I found another article that that quotes the FCC and makes it pretty clear that A) This doesn't apply to unlimited plans, and B) Does not allow Verizon to charge customers extra for tethering with a 3rd party app.

“Under the terms of today’s settlement (Verizon)...revised its service offerings such that consumers on usage-based pricing plans may tether, using any application, without paying an additional fee.”

Let my Wi-Fi go: FCC rules Verizon can't charge for Wi-Fi tethering | ZDNet

The FCC release does NOT say anything about not applying to unlimited plans. They're cherry picking the release and leaving out key parts. The statement is simply referring to Verizon implementing Share Everything plans which INCLUDED the tethering feature. This was made well before the ruling was even made granted I'm sure Verizon knew the likely outcome. That's just a single instance they're using to show they're in compliance. Below is the actual statement

Under the terms of today’s settlement, Verizon Wireless will make a voluntary payment to the Treasury in the amount of $1.25 million, and has committed to notifying the application store operator that it no longer objects to the availability of the tethering applications to C-Block network customers in the operator’s online market. Verizon Wireless has also agreed to implement a compliance plan, requiring that:

? employees will receive training on compliance with the C Block rules;

? future communications with application store operators regarding the availability of applications to Verizon Wireless customers will be reviewed in advance by legal counsel; and

?Verizon will report any instances of noncompliance with the rule at issue that might occur during the two-year term of the plan. In addition, the company recently revised its service offerings such that consumers on usage-based pricing plans may tether, using any application, without paying an additional fee.
-FCC-

Reactions: Alfonsca

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
If you read the FCC's consent decree, it seems like they're only saying Verizon can't block free tethering apps from the Android Market (or whatever the hell it's called now).

From what I can tell, they don't separate tiered or unlimited customers; they just say that Verizon can't prevent anyone from using free tethering apps.

The only two mentions I saw of tiered/unlimited customers were:

Section II, Paragraph 4:Verizon Wireless?s customer agreements in place in 2011 required that subscribers, both those on unlimited data plans and those on usage-based plans, pay an additional monthly fee if they tethered additional devices to their smartphones. Verizon Wireless referred to this feature as Mobile Broadband Connect. In April 2011, Verizon Wireless asked an Application Store Operator to filter from its Application Store eleven tethering Applications that customers could use to tether without paying Verizon Wireless?s monthly tethering fee. The Application Store Operator subsequently filtered those applications so that Verizon Wireless customers could no longer access them through the Application Store.​

Section III, Paragraph 14: Other Actions. Verizon Wireless commits that it will notify, or has notified, the Application Store Operator that it no longer objects to the availability of the eleven tethering Applications described in paragraph 4 to Verizon Wireless C-Block Network customers in the Application Store. On June 28, 2012, Verizon Wireless modified its pricing plans to allow customers on usage-based plans to tether their devices without paying an additional fee, while customers on unlimited usage plans must continue to pay an additional fee to tether their devices. Verizon Wireless customers on usage-based plans who subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect for tethering may terminate their subscription to that service without penalty

When they say usage-based customers can terminate their subscriptions without penalty, I think they're referring to Verizon's new policy that allows people on the new plans to drop Mobile Connect, not saying Verizon can keep charging unlimited customers.

And, a word of warning: The decree contains that "do whatever you want" clause that allows Verizon to block anyone or anything that could harm the network, so Verizon can probably block apps or people under that, if they want:

Section III 13-a: "Nothing herein precludes Verizon Wireless from engaging in Application Store Communications relating to particular Applications that are unlawful, interfere with the operation of and/or management of Verizon Wireless?s network, harm or interfere with devices being used by Verizon Wireless customers, or otherwise are substantially harmful to Verizon Wireless customers;"​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18