What app can you recommend if your phone gets stolen to track it?

montanaxvi

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Webroot for a while. It offers SMS lock, scream and location services if you lose your phone

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: What app can you recommend if your phone gets stolen to track

Yeah, so if you lose your phone and you're with your buddy who has an iPhone you could likely install that app to find your phone... probably a nice feature if you're out in the woods or somewhere that you don't have access to a PC.

But you can just simply log into iCloud.com from a computer and find it as well. I have it pulled up right now looking at the location of my LamePad 2.

Good point about being able to push something out from Android after the fact. That's one of my favorite features of Android.

Personally I wipe a phone right away after I steal one... I mean... never mind... ;-)

Maybe because on the writeup on the app store ([URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]link[/URL]) says "If you misplace your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, the Find My iPhone app will let you use another iOS device to find it and protect your data. Simply install this free app on another iOS device, open it, and sign in with your Apple ID."

And I did specifically mention the "Find My iPhone" app.

I didn't realize that was built in to iOS now to locate it. Even though it's not built into Android, you can still locate it easily enough since you can install something like AndroidLost from the Play Store after you lose it and still find the phone. Not quite built in, but you don't have to proactively use something like this before losing the phone.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Just checked out android lost. It's absolutely amazing. Functionality is way more than just finding your phone. It can take pictures with the front or rear camera. It can also record things that people are saying for the amount of time you would like. Lock it, wipe it, erase it, forward calls, turn WiFi and GPS on and off, notify you if the SIM card has been changed, and alarms, get text message and call logs... all this via the website or a text message from the allowed phones.

Wonderful app. And definitely show offy. Going to show my cousin why his jOb ok be and find my iPhone is complete crap compared to this.

Best thing about this app though? ITS FREE. :D :thumbup:

Reactions: heggood

R3asonableDoubt

May 17, 2011
Visit site

That one failed on me when I lost mine. When I get my next cln and if it works, I am going to put 2 or 3 on to have backups

sent from my non ics crappy stock rezound.
I've had to use SeekDroid only twice and both times it worked. Maybe I just got lucky and as with most these types of apps results will vary. Guess I may install a few backups as well just in case.

Captain Kana

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Cerberus looks good, but you have to pay for it with a paypal account. I would prefer to use Play.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Cerberus looks good, but you have to pay for it with a paypal account. I would prefer to use Play.

Have you looked at Android Lost? Haven't used Cerberus but it's feature list is similar to Android Lost and the latter is free.

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site

Just checked out android lost. It's absolutely amazing. Functionality is way more than just finding your phone. It can take pictures with the front or rear camera. It can also record things that people are saying for the amount of time you would like. Lock it, wipe it, erase it, forward calls, turn WiFi and GPS on and off, notify you if the SIM card has been changed, and alarms, get text message and call logs... all this via the website or a text message from the allowed phones.

Wonderful app. And definitely show offy. Going to show my cousin why his jOb ok be and find my iPhone is complete crap compared to this.

Best thing about this app though? ITS FREE. :D :thumbup:

Wow I agree, I just tried out several of those features and it works flawlessly within seconds, time to begin my PI career with this app :)

Captain Kana

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

I ended up getting cerberus. I liked the webpage interface better. I also found out you can purchase it through Play by buying from the app itself. I have a $25 credit from my Nexus 7. It is now on my phone, the Nexus 7, and my wife's Asus.
Earlier this year my wife left her rooted nook on a plane in the Caribbean. Someone in Jamaica now has it, according to Barnes and Noble. They have tried to purchase books, but we immediately changed all passwords when we got to St. Barts.

aaCharley

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

I ended up getting cerberus. I liked the webpage interface better. I also found out you can purchase it through Play by buying from the app itself. I have a $25 credit from my Nexus 7. It is now on my phone, the Nexus 7, and my wife's Asus.
Earlier this year my wife left her rooted nook on a plane in the Caribbean. Someone in Jamaica now has it, according to Barnes and Noble. They have tried to purchase books, but we immediately changed all passwords when we got to St. Barts.

A feature of Android Lost is that it can be installed AFTER a loss or theft by using the website. The website can also be used to "control" the phone from the computer. I'm not sure what a thief do to stop you from reinstalling the app, even after a wipe of the phone. Install it now and expect it to work well. If the phone gets wiped, install it again from the web, turn on the GPS, then go get it back. I suppose the only defense would be a permanent power off or battery pull.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Android Lost. Has lots of features, including emailing a picture from the front-facing camera.

I have it installed (and hidden in the TouchWiz launcher).

Oh, and for those talking about Find My iPhone - it can be run from a web browser, too, not just another iDevice. It's nice that it's included (as long as you have a free iCloud account and actually activate it when you receive your iphone), but it can't take pictures of the thief and email them.

dee632

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Avast Anti-Theft is good, you can download the beta from the link.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=101642.0

I installed Avast on my s3 but when I go to Antitheft it says that VZ Navigator is an incompatible SMS tool and needs to be uninstalled. However trying to uninstall it seems to be impossible.

Any suggestions??? Thanks

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Android lost does everything Cerberus does and more... one huge difference though. Android lost is FREE!

squiggie

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site

Cerberus - Hands down, any day, all day

The web control panel for Cerberus is WAY better than Android Lost. I have used both and Cerberus is worth the little amount of money it costs.

Last edited:

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I meant to add that I read somewhere about people hearing the camera sound going off when there was no reason for it to be. That is what really made me question it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

anon(862554)

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I meant to add that I read somewhere about people hearing the camera sound going off when there was no reason for it to be. That is what really made me question it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

I haven't experienced anything fishy yet...I almost forgot I even had it but I read something on here that reminded me I installed it while ago. The reviews on the play store seem to be really good.