Screen won't rotate at all

SWilliams291

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have tried everything listed here except odin mode... What is that and how does it work? I know how to put it into the mode but I just dont wanna mess it up or anything?

starsky_1000

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys, this is going to sound BRUTAL, but I tried EVERYTHING (Phone stopped rotating tonight for no reason), power cycles, odin etc, and I actually came across a similar method to one in this thread where someone smacked the bottom (Battery End) of their phone with their hand, instead of dropping it...and I kid you not my screen started auto rotating immediately! I know it sounds sketchy but I can confirm it worked for my S3! Good thing too seeing as Iv only had it since Dec 2012!

blueeyes4ya

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I had the problem today. I just switched off my phone, removed my battery, waited for some time, inserted my battery and switched on my phone. Tatang !!! It works now !!! :p

airblainer

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
THIS WORKED! I had tried everything until I found this suggestion. Another weird thing about it -the default swipe lock was disabled as well. I wonder if I accidentally found a shortcut set of keys that made my default home screen lock orientation to landscape-wierd. Thanks again for this post!!!

Turned phone off
Put it into 'odin' mode
Pull the battery while in 'odin' mode, wait a minute.
Put battery back in and turn it on.

After that he said it starting rotating normal again.

thatcrazyguy

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Turn off the power for 5 minutes the take out the battery for five minutes. Then put it back in and turn it on. I tried other ones but this was the only technique that worked for me.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys, this is going to sound BRUTAL, but I tried EVERYTHING (Phone stopped rotating tonight for no reason), power cycles, odin etc, and I actually came across a similar method to one in this thread where someone smacked the bottom (Battery End) of their phone with their hand, instead of dropping it...and I kid you not my screen started auto rotating immediately! I know it sounds sketchy but I can confirm it worked for my S3! Good thing too seeing as Iv only had it since Dec 2012!

Wow. This problem started happening with my Nexus 4 recently so I searched high and low. THIS method is the only one that worked. Simply smacked the thing and it started working. Thanks. I can only assume maybe the thing that makes phones rotate got jammed somehow. Oh well, back to watching YouTube videos the right way again! :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

this_name

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok for those of you who still can't get it fixed I just fixed mine today with a very simple half second step: drop your phone. It may be the case that your g sensor weight is stuck and it takes a little bounce to knock it free. But be sure to have a case on...not my fault if your phone breaks

Oh well it looks like the above poster said the same thing but oh well good luck

BMeskill

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for posting the solution. Didn't feel like calling Verizon, and having them tell me to reboot, and then giving up and sending me a new phone. Happy 4th

CrocDundee

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried all the suggestions on how to get the screen to rotate again including rebooting, the odin method, battery out, battery in, dropping, etc, etc, etc...

Then I took the back off and simply gave the bottom of the battery a good smack with my hand, firm but fair, and hey presto, 48 hours of trying everything under the sun has finally paid off!!

Thank you Android Central!!!!

6_gun

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Here's another option if you don't want to do the odin thing and have to reload all your apps and data again, or drop your phone on your granite countertop..... I just downloaded "Rotation Locker" from the play store. It's free. Locks the display in Portrait or Landscape mode, and also has an Auto setting. I also noticed that in Auto mode it works for a couple of times before the little software devil inside my phone catches up and prevents the phone's natural auto-rotate feature again. I think, however, I can get used to manually setting the display orientation....may even like it better than it changing on it's own...who knows. Kudos to "Rotation Locker" people.

Attachments

• Rotation Locker.png
    Rotation Locker.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 34