allsop377

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded on my phone, and my Macbook was able to pick up the connection via WIFI, will this work on my data plan or will VZW make me sign up for hotspot.

Connection is pretty good.

Sykotc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded on my phone, and my Macbook was able to pick up the connection via WIFI, will this work on my data plan or will VZW make me sign up for hotspot.

Connection is pretty good.

Foxfi bypasses the locked hotspot on ur phone. There is also an ad on the disguises the tethering signature using proxy settings

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Foxfi bypasses the locked hotspot on ur phone. There is also an ad on the disguises the tethering signature using proxy settings

I take it this means you still need a FoxFi or something similar in order to be able to tether your phone and your tablet. The GS3 does not do this on its own?

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I take it this means you still need a FoxFi or something similar in order to be able to tether your phone and your tablet. The GS3 does not do this on its own?

The phone has a built in hotspot feature but if it's not included in your plan it won't work... Foxfi bypasses that and lets you use it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

The GS3 can use Verizon's hotspot app to do this, but not for free. (Unless you're on a shared everything plan, then it's included) People use apps such as FoxFi to bypass this, so the tethering isn't recognized by Verizon and they don't have to pay the $20 monthly fee. (Or however much it is)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The phone has a built in hotspot feature but if it's not included in your plan it won't work... Foxfi bypasses that and lets you use it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

The stock mobile hotspot app works fine for me even without root and subscription, but you need to activate it with a third party widget like power widget or elixir if you don't have a mhs subscription. The widget simply turns it on, the mobile hotspot app itself is completely stock.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The GS3 can use Verizon's hotspot app to do this, but not for free. (Unless you're on a shared everything plan, then it's included) People use apps such as FoxFi to bypass this, so the tethering isn't recognized by Verizon and they don't have to pay the $20 monthly fee. (Or however much it is)

yes but does Foxfiwork on a Samsung phone? It doesn't work other than Bluetooth on my HTC resound.

allsop377

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I am using Foxfi now, it is enabled on my S3 with the proxy setting, my macbook recognizes the "hotspot" on the phone. I am currently on Unlimited data..not share everything plan.

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
It works just fine on mine as well. I'm on unlimited and my daughter connects her ipod touch traveling in the car

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
What is the add-on that disguises the tethering signature? I believe it something in the packet that shows it took one "extra" step before being sent? I remember reading about it in the WebOS forums in regards to FreeTether.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

With the addon, if I am connecting an android tablet do I have to configure the tablet to use the proxy? Couldn't find any detailed instructions on using the addon.

EDIT: Found more info for the necessary settings. For anyone else looking for the same info, here it is.

http://www.android-proxy.com/2012/04/whats-taste-of-ice-cream-on-my-sandwich.html

When you enable proxy on the Foxfi app with the addon, it will tell you what to set for Proxy Hostname and Proxy Port.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yes but does Foxfiwork on a Samsung phone? It doesn't work other than Bluetooth on my HTC resound.

Foxfi works for wifi tethering on my gs3. On my rezound, as you said, foxfi only works for bluetooth tethering. Also, as I said above, the stock mobile hotspot app works fine for me even without root and subscription, but you would need to activate it with a third party widget like power widget or elixir. Was not able to get the stock mobile hotspot app to work on my rezound.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Foxfi works for wifi tethering on my gs3. On my rezound, as you said, foxfi only works for bluetooth tethering. Also, as I said above, the stock mobile hotspot app works fine for me even without root and subscription, but you would need to activate it with a third party widget like power widget or elixir. Was not able to get the stock mobile hotspot app to work on my rezound.

I have yet too get FoxFi to work on an ICS equipped/unrooted Rezound.

Since going to ICS, it has IP issues and doesn't run on hotspot or BT for me.

Lego

palmpreboss

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
it works on samsung phones i had the s2 and it worked until the ics update then it stoped. unless they fexed it i just got my s3 and downloaded it but havent checced it out yet.

Beatnik24

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Wish I would have known ICS was going to kill my FoxFi, I would have skipped the update. Any idea on how to teather now without root?

Metups

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
With the addon, if I am connecting an android tablet do I have to configure the tablet to use the proxy? Couldn't find any detailed instructions on using the addon.

EDIT: Found more info for the necessary settings. For anyone else looking for the same info, here it is.

Android Proxy Project: What's the taste of the ice cream on my sandwich? How Android 4.0 ICS improves (not so much) the handling of Wi-Fi proxy

When you enable proxy on the Foxfi app with the addon, it will tell you what to set for Proxy Hostname and Proxy Port.

Thanks. Are you aware of any instructions on how to implement this on my Laptop running Windows 7?

Sykotc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
What is the add-on that disguises the tethering signature? I believe it something in the packet that shows it took one "extra" step before being sent? I remember reading about it in the WebOS forums in regards to FreeTether.

Its in the play store, Foxfi Add-on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy