Newbie questions

kalebk07

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I just got my GS3 yesterday and I am so in love with it!!! I have a few questions though:

1. How do I change the apps on my lockscreen?
2. Is there an app that will shut off my data (4g, 3g and Wifi) when my screen is off? I know you can do this with wifi, but I would like to be able to shut off all data if possible!
3. If I use a text messaging app besides the stock one, will it still call the person if I hold the phone to my ear? Also does anyone know of a good texting app that I can sync with my tablet, so I can text with my number from my tablet? I used mysms on my previous phone, but it keeps crashing on my GS3. I dont think it likes ICS, but I LOVE ICS!
4. I know I shouldnt do this, but does anyone know where to get free apks? I want tapatalk really bad!

Thanks!
Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, I just got my GS3 yesterday and I am so in love with it!!! I have a few questions though:

2. Is there an app that will shut off my data (4g, 3g and Wifi) when my screen is off? I know you can do this with wifi, but I would like to be able to shut off all data if possible!
3. If I use a text messaging app besides the stock one, will it still call the person if I hold the phone to my ear? Also does anyone know of a good texting app that I can sync with my tablet, so I can text with my number from my tablet? I used mysms on my previous phone, but it keeps crashing on my GS3. I dont think it likes ICS, but I LOVE ICS!
4. I know I shouldnt do this, but does anyone know where to get free apks? I want tapatalk really bad!

Thanks!

I have a launcher so I don't have the exact steps but you can change your lock screen apps in settings. I believe it's in settings - - > display.

For texting tablet talk seems to be very popular. I have it on mine.

Android central has a free tapatalk app. I think you also can find is in the Google play store. But I could be wrong here.

Reactions: kalebk07

socialillz

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Settings/security/lock screen options/shortcuts

Is where you can change your lock screen shortcut apps

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

4. If you want quality apps to continue being made for android, pay the developers for their time and energy. Skip that cheeseburger or coffee and spent it instead on something you intend on using. I have spent probably $100 on various apps over my 4 years on Android, so averaging $25 a year is certainly not an issue.

I get mad when I see these types of things because you are wanting to know where you can look to steal something. Not cool. It's the same as any other product / service. If you can't afford it, or don't want to pay for it, that doesn't give you the right to take it. I don't know why people view software so differently than physical things....

Good luck with everything else though, and welcome to Android. I think you will like it!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
does the phone need antivirus software?

Depends on you. Are you the type to download every fart and "hot chick wallpaperz!" app? Or do you stick with reputable apps. Are you stealing apps and sideloading a bunch of things from shady websites?

I've never used and antivirus app, but I tend to not install crappy apps from shady developers where it would be an issue.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
1... answered
2... maybe if you were rooted. Try juice defender. I heard it does some good stuff like that
3... nope must be using stock app. Already you do vBulletin from my experience.
4. It is against android central forum rules to talk about it. I understand though. To be honest the pirated app stores suck anyway and are filled with out dated apps and viruses.
5. Anti virus software. I have it. Malicious software is only getting stronger. I rather be protected. It's like my phone passes passes the download condoms before it installs. I'd rather not have a pregnant phone. :p

kalebk07

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
4. If you want quality apps to continue being made for android, pay the developers for their time and energy. Skip that cheeseburger or coffee and spent it instead on something you intend on using. I have spent probably $100 on various apps over my 4 years on Android, so averaging $25 a year is certainly not an issue.

I get mad when I see these types of things because you are wanting to know where you can look to steal something. Not cool. It's the same as any other product / service. If you can't afford it, or don't want to pay for it, that doesn't give you the right to take it. I don't know why people view software so differently than physical things....

Good luck with everything else though, and welcome to Android. I think you will like it!

I have been an android user since the beginning, but my GS3 is new and the best android smartphone on the market right now IMO. You are absolutely correct on the apps, I feel bad for even asking that question. I did go ahead and buy Tapatalk, and I love it!

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been an android user since the beginning, but my GS3 is new and the best android smartphone on the market right now IMO. You are absolutely correct on the apps, I feel bad for even asking that question. I did go ahead and buy Tapatalk, and I love it!

Excellent... I didn't mean to sound harsh, but as someone who has had things stolen, albeit physical, it's one of my hot button issues.

I love my S3 as well.

Lorroth1

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Depends on you. Are you the type to download every fart and "hot chick wallpaperz!" app? Or do you stick with reputable apps. Are you stealing apps and sideloading a bunch of things from shady websites?

I've never used and antivirus app, but I tend to not install crappy apps from shady developers where it would be an issue.

I didn't know there were fart apps..........
The only apps I have downloaded are the common ones....doubt I will ever get hot chick wallpaper (since I am a girl).
How do I know if it's a reputable app?
I just wondered if opening emails, and surfing the net was a good reason to have antivirus software.
BTW...I have no idea what "sideloading" is.....I am a newbie...just coming from an EnV3

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
someone please correct me if i'm wrong but....
question 2 can be handled by turning off the mobile data, sync, gps, etc on the notification area.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i use avg antivirus free for the anti theft features. with it you can locate your phone remotely and also lock it down or wipe it if stolen....

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
i use avg antivirus free for the anti theft features. with it you can locate your phone remotely and also lock it down or wipe it if stolen....

Lookout Mobile and Avast are both free options that are feature rich and reputable source.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know there were fart apps..........
The only apps I have downloaded are the common ones....doubt I will ever get hot chick wallpaper (since I am a girl).
How do I know if it's a reputable app?
I just wondered if opening emails, and surfing the net was a good reason to have antivirus software.
BTW...I have no idea what "sideloading" is.....I am a newbie...just coming from an EnV3

Look at reviews and use common sense. Is the developer in China, are the positive reviews just 5 stars with no review?

If there is a certain type of app, there will be an app or 2 in that genre with a lot of downloads. Those are probably safe.

For antivirus, go with avast or lookout mobile

Reactions: Lorroth1

Lorroth1

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
How do i get rid of photos in a file. They were the previous phone owners i guess.....

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
someone please correct me if i'm wrong but....
question 2 can be handled by turning off the mobile data, sync, gps, etc on the notification area.

That would do it, but you'd have to toggle it on/off manually. Juice Defender shuts off data when the screen is off, but turns data on to sync every 15 or 30 minutes. I believe the paid versions can adjust to even longer intervals, I'm not sure, I just use the free version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz