Annoying ads/Pop up's

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
My wife's GS3 has been getting extremely annoying and persistent ads/pop ups for apps and 3rd party app stores in her notification drawer. I have the GS3 for sprint and am not experiencing this. Does anyone have any ideas where this could be coming from so I can help her out......Thanks

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Same rules as computers apply here.. Don't ever just download/install any free app as many free apps are laden with battery draining advertising "sub programs".. Heck even when I installed the "Samsung Apps" app from the Samsung site, I kept getting a pop-up to install something called "Ad Server" lol which I denied of course lol..

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it sucks. It seems more and more apps are doing it. AirPush Defender is a good one to identify them. That's also why I generally don't mind paying .99 for an ad free app, but on the Android platform, that isn't an option a lot of the time.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip and quick response. She is still learning android. I will look into the app software and try to identify the troublemaker(s). Thanks again

Sent from my Awesome Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2 baby.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Same rules as computers apply here.. Don't ever just download/install any free app as many free apps are laden with battery draining advertising "sub programs".. Heck even when I installed the "Samsung Apps" app from the Samsung site, I kept getting a pop-up to install something called "Ad Server" lol which I denied of course lol..

Yeah, she likes to download stuff. I need to educate her a bit I see.

joey92

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Try airblocker from the play store it just completely blocks them

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
1) What about doing a reset, clearing everything out and starting everything from scratch and only downloading reputable apps from the market if this app doesnt work?

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
1) What about doing a reset, clearing everything out and starting everything from scratch and only downloading reputable apps from the market if this app doesnt work?

It's hopefully just one app causing it. So there is no need to reset. Once you find the app, uninstall and that should fix it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
If your wife is anything like mine, she's playing a bunch of crap Zynga games like Words with Friends or Draw Something.

I uninstalled those the first time they pushed an ad to my notification bar. Love watching that company crash and burn.

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife's GS3 has been getting extremely annoying and persistent ads/pop ups for apps and 3rd party app stores in her notification drawer. I have the GS3 for sprint and am not experiencing this. Does anyone have any ideas where this could be coming from so I can help her out......Thanks

My sister's phone did the same thing. We think it was Instagram, after she uninstalled it the problem went away. Strangely, her friend's phone didn't have that issue.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.....Had a long day today but will mess around with it tomorrow.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Root/install AdFree from the market, post results.

Sent from my unlocked/modded Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Reputable apps are also the culprit. It's just another way for the dev to make money, but if they are going to do that, they need to list that in the permissions before you install.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Reputable apps are also the culprit. It's just another way for the dev to make money, but if they are going to do that, they need to list that in the permissions before you install.

Really?? I had no idea. That sucks. I think I found the culprit though. We will see. Thanks again for all the helpful advice/tips

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned above download the lookout mobile add detector and only use the play, amazon and Samsung app stores and you should be all good.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ringdroid is an example. It just started to do that as far as I can tell. And in those cases, it's not like it's putting secret virus/keylogger software on your device.. it's just putting another method of advertising. While it is annoying, it's likely harmless.

Really?? I had no idea. That sucks. I think I found the culprit though. We will see. Thanks again for all the helpful advice/tips

Fuzion0503

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
You can add battery bomb even though it was already flagged by airpush. When I installed this widget they put ads in my notification bar.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have over 80 apps and never saw a pop up ad. Installed one more clock widget and got a pop up ad within minutes. Un installed and haven't seen one since.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums