Signal Strength vs Razr Maxx

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
anyone coming from a Razr Maxx notice how the signal strength compares? I am very interested in getting a S3, but i swore i would never get another Samsung phone after the POS GNex. It had the worst reception of any phone i have owned.

also, what about battery?

Kaad_g

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My wife has the Razr Maxx it's reception is better than my GS3 ( I ran lots of test and reported the results on another forum). My Droid X was also better.

On the other hand, my GS3 gets much better reception than a fellow co-worker who owns a Nexus.

I should mention that some are reporting that reception is comparable to the Razr, but they are in the minority. Lots of variables here so I guess your mileage may vary.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the maxx, rezound and gs3. The maxx probably has slightly better radio than the GSIII. It is also worth to note that in some areas, my gs3 has data whereas the maxx drops often and vice versa. These are in fringe areas of course. Battery life on the GSIII isn't as good as the maxx, but even though the maxx battery is 50% larger, I would say real life about 25% better battery life on the maxx.

jtbndy

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
anyone coming from a Razr Maxx notice how the signal strength compares? I am very interested in getting a S3, but i swore i would never get another Samsung phone after the POS GNex. It had the worst reception of any phone i have owned.

I'm in the same boat as you. Bought the GNex Day and have been disappointed to say the least with the data/reception/signal strength. Very hesitant to buying any Samsung phone because of it.

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
My wife has the Razr Maxx it's reception is better than my GS3 ( I ran lots of test and reported the results on another forum). My Droid X was also better.

On the other hand, my GS3 gets much better reception than a fellow co-worker who owns a Nexus.

I should mention that some are reporting that reception is comparable to the Razr, but they are in the minority. Lots of variables here so I guess your mileage may vary.

I'm one. Mine is within 3db of both the Razr Maxx we have.

TAPPED in on my (now unlocked bootloader) Verizon S3

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I own both phones and I have to give it to moto for their radios. When I had the Gnex i had no issues with making and receiving calling from the phone but my GS3 was defective and it was a 50/50 shot as far as being heard or being able to hear the caller. The maxx has no issues with calling at all and of course the 3300 mah battery slaps the 2100 mah that comes standard with the GS3. I've read many users that had to get a replacement for their first Gs3 but have no problems with their replacement so I've sent off my GS3 to samsung because it was a purchase on ebay and the item was supposedly new but def used when i got it. I've opened up a case with ebay buyer protection and if everything works out I'll have a perfectly working GS3 and a reimbursement for the money that I spent on the phone. It's great to have a razr maxx as a backup phone but I want my GS3 back asap. One last note data connections and handoffs were great even with my defective unit especially in comparison to the Gnex.

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I had the Maxx for 10 days or so and have the S3 for about 3 weeks now. I have noticed no difference with the S3. No problems w/signal strength.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

I wrote about this very thing, having had a GNex, and my Wife and Son having the Razr Maxx. The Maxx has better battery and radio reception, but not by a wide margin at all.

Anyway here's my write up on the subject:

Galaxy S III vs Galaxy Nexus vs Razr Maxx radios

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
im coming from the razr maxx and have always used moto phones mainly for the good radios. i have had the s3 for about a month now and have done several side by comparisons with my friends razr in a fringe area. although the maxx is a little bit better its not enough to really matter . its not like he can surf the web and i am stuck with nothing . both phones would be bouncing from 1x to 3g or 4g or just some bars with no X . sometimes the maxx would lock on to a 4g signal for a min but as soon as you tried to use it it would drop to just a signal no data. whereas the s3 would maintain a signal but would only sometimes get 1x . both phones made calls fine . for me the small difference in signal is not enough to go back to the maxx . i tell everyone that has the s3 if its not working right send it back for a replacement because its just a bad unit not all of them are bad . this phone is way better than the GNEX . at this point I will never get another moto .

smbrooks32

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Of course the razr is going to have better signal but even with the lack of signal strength I wouldn't like a razr

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Compared to my RAZR thin I had since launch and compared the heck out of them:

RAZR is a little better with 3G

GS3 is better with 4G

Both are equal for call and text range

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My wife got my old Droid 3, it gets comparable 3G and calling signals as the GS3. The GS3 seems to get better wifi connection.

-Suntan

leggy

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
My Droid X was way better. In my office, which is known for poor signal, I could make calls and get slow data but with the GS3 nothing works in the same location. This is my second GS3.

lizzygates

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

battery is good, but doesnt matter.....RECEPTION SUCKS!! what's the good of 4g when u can't use it???? DON'T buy a S3!!!!