Don't send your GS3 to samsung for warranty issues

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
As much as I've had a problem with the refurbs that I've gotten through Verizon with 5 replacement Gnex's I decided to contact Samsung for 3 issues that my GS3 was having.
1. Horrible signal for calling
2. Imperfections in the display(not physical)
3. over 3 hours to reach a full charge

It's now been over 2 weeks and the only info about my phone that they can pull up is that the device was received and estimated to be done by last Friday. I know that I should of just gotten a replacement through Verizon but the rep told me there was a 50/50 shot that I'd get a refurb. Anyways I just wanted to give the A.C. guys and gals a warning if any of you go the route of having Samsung repair their own products. I asked the tech that I spoke to if there was anyway to complain and she gave me the e-mail address of the president of Samsung U.S. so I fired off a letter to complain. The phone was past the return policy and I have a razr maxx as a backup so I thought this would be the way to go but damn was I wrong. Just a heads up.

Last edited:

Eggtastic1998

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
im in the same boat. sent out my s3 on 8/8, they received it on 8/11. estimated repair date was 8/18. "activity" window that allows you to watch what goes on with your phone such as evaluations and repair stopped on 8/12. its 8/20 and i called customer support, all they said was to try back tomorrow.

my phone had a cracked screen. the lcd screen itself was fine, touch features: fine, it was the gorilla glass that was the problem.

i had to go through samsung because i did not opt for insurance. bad move on my part despite being cheaper (179 for repair, 200 deductible alone for another phone + 10 extra a month on bill).

it sucks using a halfass smart phone (blackberry 8100). but i guess ill continue playing the waiting game.

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
im in the same boat. sent out my s3 on 8/8, they received it on 8/11. estimated repair date was 8/18. "activity" window that allows you to watch what goes on with your phone such as evaluations and repair stopped on 8/12. its 8/20 and i called customer support, all they said was to try back tomorrow.

my phone had a cracked screen. the lcd screen itself was fine, touch features: fine, it was the gorilla glass that was the problem.

i had to go through samsung because i did not opt for insurance. bad move on my part despite being cheaper (179 for repair, 200 deductible alone for another phone + 10 extra a month on bill).

it sucks using a halfass smart phone (blackberry 8100). but i guess ill continue playing the waiting game.

Yeah I haven't even seen any activity report since they first evaluated the phone. If I don't get a call e-mail or call by tomorrow I'm just going to have them send me the phone back and do a warranty claim through Verizon. This is total b.s.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone use square trade? I bought mine off eBay and I'm debating getting the insurance via square trade or Verizon. Any thoughts?

You'll never take my unlimited data!

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is pretty arrogant too. I had a battery issue after ICS borked my phone and no matter what I tried, they wouldn't send me a new one before I sent in the bad one. I even told them to charge me for it and reverse it when I sent it back. As bad as the battery was in couldn't be without one. The report and manager both said that they could be without their phones for two weeks if they needed to get a battery replaced. How many out there could be without their phone for two weeks. I call major b.s.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Anyone use square trade? I bought mine off eBay and I'm debating getting the insurance via square trade or Verizon. Any thoughts?

You'll never take my unlimited data!
I don't believe VZW will give you insurance as you didn't buy the phone through their system.

SquareTrade is supposed to have a very good reputation.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I was going to send mine in this week after setting up a return with them this past Friday. I guess I'll just deal with my dented speaker grill for now.

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe VZW will give you insurance as you didn't buy the phone through their system.

SquareTrade is supposed to have a very good reputation.

Verizon will add insurance to any new handset within 30 day of activation or a lot of times you can add it during times when they have open enrollment which is the majority of the time. I bought my Gnex from wirefly and Verizon insured it. Assurion is the insurance company so it's 3rd party as Sprint and other carriers use them.

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I was going to send mine in this week after setting up a return with them this past Friday. I guess I'll just deal with my dented speaker grill for now.

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to ask them to ship me the phone back if the expedited claim that was put in for me this morning isn't answered.

kpxstar9

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Verizon will add insurance to any new handset within 30 day of activation or a lot of times you can add it during times when they have open enrollment which is the majority of the time. I bought my Gnex from wirefly and Verizon insured it. Assurion is the insurance company so it's 3rd party as Sprint and other carriers use them.

We (VZW) will only add insurance to a device if it was purchased from us within 30 days. Outside of that, you'll have to wait until Asurion offers an open enrollment period which was back in March-April this year

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

enjamin

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I hate to say this about my former employer (because I don't like them)
But if you are reading this and want an S3 go to best-buy and buy yours there get the black tie protection ADH plan and they will hand you a new one out of the case ( if it is in stock) things like dead pixels and imperfections within the first year is a swap and it is a new phone, if you crack the screen however you will have to wait

Just some advice from someone who hates waiting and spending money...
Btw don't buy pc's from bby.... just horrible

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Android Central Forums

enjamin

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
We (VZW) will only add insurance to a device if it was purchased from us within 30 days. Outside of that, you'll have to wait until Asurion offers an open enrollment period which was back in March-April this year

Yes vzw will offer it within the time frame stated
Bby will only offer it during purchase, unless you get a good manager when you come back

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes vzw will offer it within the time frame stated
Bby will only offer it during purchase, unless you get a good manager when you come back
So a "good manager" is one that will give you insurance coverage after he knows you have a problem?

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Square Trade is who Costco started using for some of their stuff. I would assume they must be decent. I will only buy at Best Buy because of the Black Tie protection. I have used it more than once in the past and it is the best protection I have seen, all with a $0 deductible. The only thing it does not cover is lost or stolen.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I had to buy my phone from my company's e-mobility website and they don't cover insurance. So I used protect your bubble (www.protectyourbubble.com). I looked at all third party options and this was the only third party insurance that covers all problems. Dropped, cracked, wet, lost or stolen. It's a $100 deductible. I haven't had to use them yet, so I really can't tell you if they offer new or refurb or whatever, but it seemed like the best deal out there. They offer next day phone replacement as well. It's only 7.99/month and if you prepay the whole year you get 2 years of coverage for the price of 1 year.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

My fully insured by Assurion, not purchased from VZW and not enrolled during open enrollment, S3 begs to differ.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
My fully insured by Assurion, not purchased from VZW and not enrolled during open enrollment, S3 begs to differ.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

so where did you buy it from? VZW will insure it through Assurion if you buy it through an authorized dealer. I got mine on ebay and they said they won't insure it but I can get insurance when there is open enrollment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance