Apple Headphones, don't work on S3 to make calls....

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I am saying it is a negative to me, because 1) I can't use the headphones that I have at home, though I can use them in my old Bionic, Incredible, or the blackberry for work, but I can't use them on my S3. :mad: So it may not be the configuration of the bands but something with Samsung as well....Why else would they work on other devices and not the S3.
2) Which is probably more of the reason why it is a negative to me......I wear a turban and can only use a very limited set of headphones and up until now, the apple headphones, whether oem or generic were ok, but now I have to find different ones that are small enough and LOUD enough for me. And as other posters have said, I would love to buy the Beats, or use the ones that came with the phone but because of my religous obligations, I cannot get them under my turban.

I'm actually surprised that the Apple headphones worked in other Android phones, but my guess it that they wired the jack to work with both "standard" 3-way* headphones and Apple headphones (which, judging by your statement I can only assume is actually possible).

Have you tried a set of BlackBerry headphones? They are very similar to Apples, work with the Galaxy S3 and all other Android phones I've owned, and are pretty inexpensive. Not quite as nice as Apple earbuds I guess (which I don't consider *that* remarkable), but in definitely in the same league at least.

They even sell them right here at Android Central:
BlackBerry Stereo Headset (3.5mm) - Android Headsets

*Stero + mic

Reactions: sardar615

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
My apple headphones mic worked on my thunderbolt, in fact, I ordered my s3 by phone using them..they don't work on my s3 though

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I confirmed with support that 3rd party headphones will work for music only. the mic is not supported!

As many on this post have noted, the Apple ones do not work -- however I have used various other 3-way headphones with this phone, including the earbuds from my old BlackBerry and my Bose headphones, and they work just fine.

Of course Samsung isn't going to provide support for any 3rd party products, but in general, as long as the headphone use the "standard" design (e.g. are not Apple) , they should work just fine.

Arjsmithy

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I have my favorite pair of sony head phone that use under my helmet while im riding and they dont work I REPEAT They DO NOT WORK has nothing to do with apple .. I dont know what the problem is these same headphone work fine on my galaxy s2..... IM NOT HAPPY.. Standard JACK ALL HEADPHONE SHOULD WORK..

nmoira

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I have my favorite pair of sony head phone that use under my helmet while im riding and they dont work I REPEAT They DO NOT WORK has nothing to do with apple .. I dont know what the problem is these same headphone work fine on my galaxy s2..... IM NOT HAPPY.. Standard JACK ALL HEADPHONE SHOULD WORK..
The controls on my Sony MH1? headphones work fine.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The Galaxy S3 uses what's commonly called "Intelligent output switching", like most devices with a 3.5mm output jack. You can make iPhone/iPod specific headsets work by splicing a 100k resistor from each input to ground if you spent enough money on the headset to make it worthwhile. Without this impedance, the SGS3 doesn't know a headset has been plugged in.

There's a very technical and complicated reason why it's this way. Interested parties can find more information on Google about intelligent audio switching and capacitively coupling audio signals to fire an AUX trigger.

The tl;dr version is that neither way is better than the other, they are just different. Most equipment uses intelligent switching, which is why many premium audio products carry a label to show them as iPod/iPhone compatible. Many products actually work with both.

neil64

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
All of my old Apple Headphones worked fine for both music and calls on my Galaxy S2 T-989. They do not work on my Galaxy S3 T-999. The mic does not work even though the phone displays headphones connected. This is a Samsung Galaxy S3 issue and not an Apple issue. I have sent my S3 to Samsung because of camera failure. The problem persists even though they replaced the motherboard. And people complain about the call quality when I am using any wired headphones. They can hear static and noise in the background. This occurs on the OEm Samsung headphones as well as Blackberries.

cypawer

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Buds,

I've a couple of Apple headphones equiped with Controltalk and a SG Note 2.

After a few hours of investigations, I can confirm that there is no way no use the Control talk with my phone.

I can play, pause, go to next song, anwer a call, and end a call, but I cant use neither the raise/low volumen buttons, nor to go to previous song,

I have a AKG Q460 headphones with the same problem, but this one supplies a secondary cord without the controltalk controls (I mean a normal cord without nothing), and I've found an accesory with a minijack input, a volume and mic controls, and a minijack output, that converts my secondary cord in a fully functional Android headphones for about 5 ?.

I recomend you to choose a good pair of headphones, and use the adapter to upgrade it.

Regarding the other facts on this forum, I think that user should take the best things of oth worlds and use it in their own benefit.

Let the companies that gather our money to complain one with each other and take advantage of this kind of solutions.

Kind regards

smair82

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Buds,

I've a couple of Apple headphones equiped with Controltalk and a SG Note 2.

After a few hours of investigations, I can confirm that there is no way no use the Control talk with my phone.

I can play, pause, go to next song, anwer a call, and end a call, but I cant use neither the raise/low volumen buttons, nor to go to previous song,

I have a AKG Q460 headphones with the same problem, but this one supplies a secondary cord without the controltalk controls (I mean a normal cord without nothing), and I've found an accesory with a minijack input, a volume and mic controls, and a minijack output, that converts my secondary cord in a fully functional Android headphones for about 5 ?.

I recomend you to choose a good pair of headphones, and use the adapter to upgrade it.

Regarding the other facts on this forum, I think that user should take the best things of oth worlds and use it in their own benefit.

Let the companies that gather our money to complain one with each other and take advantage of this kind of solutions.

Kind regards

Could you please post a link for the adaptor please, I don't want to use bluetooth as I want to save battery power and don't want to have to charge two things.

RotJ

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
One other option is to just use your phone's microphone. The Soundabout app lets you disable the headset microphone. Another way to disable the microphone is to hold down the answer call button when you're plugging it in. Since the phone's mic is now active, you'll have to pull the phone out of your pocket to make a call.

John Stalzer

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I am absolutely horrified that a simple problem and an implied question became a mess of invective and I don't know what all. Religious wars?

I have the same situation. I have 4 or 5 pairs of apple earbuds. They're nice. They fit my ears. I'd like to use them in the phone I am now using. The galaxy s3. Seems simple enough, maybe an adapter, or a little cord, or something.

So ... I would have phrased it as a question rather than a statement. Like this:

"I would like to use a pair of apple earbuds (with mic) in a galaxy s3. They don't work in the s3 but are perfectly good earbuds. Has anyone had the same issue, and is there an adapter of some sort that I can buy to make this work?"

:)

nona00

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
hi,
i have had the same issue. the iphone5 headphones are really nice and perfect shape to not hurt anyones ears but the mic didnt work, i could hear people but they would heard a constant noise instead of me.
yesterday i managed to solve the issue and i wanted to post the solution that worked for me in case is helpful for anyone else :)
i pressed the mic button whilst i was connecting the headphones on my s3 mini and once connected i stopped pressing it - outcome;it works for audio, apps with voice function, i can hear and people can hear me clearly during calls, however the functions of the headphones get disabled when you do this but i mostly wanted them for calls hence this is just perfect for me.

Michael Barrow

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE FOR ALL WHO LOVES THESE BUT CAN'T USE THEM TO THE FULLEST / VOLUME CONTROL WORKS WITH THIS APP..

YAHOO after much much research I found a fix to not only use the volume but even better way. Go to the play store for apps and get >>> "headset button controller" and yes a free version is available now but I'm upgrading to the paid version for $2.00 two buck and change and its well work it BUT try the free one 1st so you'll know it does in fact work. ok you can set this app up to work the center button for everything, you set the volume to work with 4 clicks of the center button and the volume starts at what ever you choose it to start at, for me it starts at 20 percent and keeps rising to 100 percent or if you choose you can simply click once again 1 click to have it stop rising at desired increase, to go lower simply click 4 times to restart the incline from 20 percent to what ever you choose to stop at... I think default is 20 percent to 80 percent for me 20 to 100 percent is best. I get calls the mic works and I find this to be better then to remote because with the inline volume rocker you have to click click click to set volume, not anymore....try this and let me know if you need any help, but its easy and the directions are clear and very easy to read, easy setup once and ALL FIXED and ready for what ever....love it
I just knew their had to be a way to get these sweet earbuds working to their fullest/ enjoy and please update folks where ever you can...

Mike B

thamesway

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Since9600 - . "Apple accessories not working with these phones is a given"

My Apple iPhone USB charger wall-wart charged my Huawei Y330 to 100% this afternoon, as it happens.

Came to this forum to check that Apple earbuds won't actually DAMAGE my Android phone - I tried them in an old Sony personal CD player a week ago and I think they fried the left hand channel, that channel on the Sony never to work again, you see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon