Gmail inbox not syncing - even though sync is on

lagunarad

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have Gmail setup on my Outlook, Galaxy Tab and S3.

As I was working on the desktop an email was received in Outlook and the Tab at 4:07PM. As I am expecting an important work related email to come in later this evening when I'm away from the office, I decided to see if that same message was received on the phone too, just to be sure it was syncing properly. It was not in the phone's inbox even 20 minutes later. No notification and no light.

After waiting a bit longer I decided to check the All Mail label on the phone and sure enough the message was there and appeared to have been since 4:07 PM. So I switch back to the inbox to see if it was there now. It was not.

Deciding then to hit the sync icon on the lower right of the Gmail home screen it popped into the inbox.

Any one else out there having a similar issue, or fix?

Strangely, as I was composing this post another email came in and it synced properly on all three devices. Perhaps it was just a fluke and I am over reacting.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have Gmail setup on my Outlook, Galaxy Tab and S3.

As I was working on the desktop an email was received in Outlook and the Tab at 4:07PM. As I am expecting an important work related email to come in later this evening when I'm away from the office, I decided to see if that same message was received on the phone too, just to be sure it was syncing properly. It was not in the phone's inbox even 20 minutes later. No notification and no light.

After waiting a bit longer I decided to check the All Mail label on the phone and sure enough the message was there and appeared to have been since 4:07 PM. So I switch back to the inbox to see if it was there now. It was not.

Deciding then to hit the sync icon on the lower right of the Gmail home screen it popped into the inbox.

Any one else out there having a similar issue, or fix?

Strangely, as I was composing this post another email came in and it synced properly on all three devices. Perhaps it was just a fluke and I am over reacting.

Probably...I too have a few mobile devices with Gmail, and this happens every now and then.

To fix (if it doesn't just fix itself), step 1 is to do a simple reboot...if that doesn't fix it, step 2 is to go into settings and delete data from the gmail app to initiate a FULL resync.

Doesn't happen to me very often (once every few months?), but this always gets me back to working gmail.

speculatrix

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Check clock set on android

If too far out it can affect SSL certificate verification and you don't always get useful errors reported

sopranodesign

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have a similar problem on my brand new S3. Gmail app works fine when I'm on WiFi and I receive notifications almost immediately. But when I switch my internet connection to Mobile Data I never receive notifications and I have to manually click the refresh button to see new emails. I've searched through the settings and through help but couldn't find anything.

What do you think would be the problem?

Aque Lach

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Gmail inbox not syncing - even though sync is on - Solved

I've found just a workaround!

My problem, gmail not syncing, calendar not syncing, tasks not syncing.
Tried every suggestion online, starting from:
Problems syncing Gmail on Android - Gmail Help which is kind of comprenhensive.

Reboot, reboot, reboot won't make it better!

Then I realized of the following, I had been accessing the internet through WiFi when available, then switching to my Data plan, android started to behave awkwardly, but still syncing.

Therefore, the idea, what if I remove the mobile company chip and see what happens????

Well that's it, my mobile is syncing again...

?Divi?rtanse!
Aque Lach

Manu Redrum

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Hey, same problem here, how do you reboot though? The whole phone or just the apps? thanks

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Manu,
If you want to reboot your phone, just hold down the power button - it'll bring up a selection list that lets you choose between a reboot or complete shutdown.

If you're having Gmail sync issues, the first thing to check is to be sure that you have sync enabled. In Gmail, press the Menu button -> Settings -> <your Gmail address> and verify that in the DATA USAGE section it says "Gmail sync is ON".
Another place to check - from any Home screen, press the Menu button -> Settings -> scroll down until you find the Accounts section -> select Google (or your account if it's shown directly) and verify that Gmail is checked.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

LeaYo

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Probably...I too have a few mobile devices with Gmail, and this happens every now and then.

To fix (if it doesn't just fix itself), step 1 is to do a simple reboot...if that doesn't fix it, step 2 is to go into settings and delete data from the gmail app to initiate a FULL resync.

Doesn't happen to me very often (once every few months?), but this always gets me back to working gmail.

Thanks! I cleared the data and it fixed my problem!

Andy Knights

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this - my problem was slightly different. I want to explain it in the hope that it might help someone else.

My gmail account was partially syncing. I would receive new emails, no problems, so syncing was sort of working. However, if I deleted something (let's say an unread message) on my phone, my unread count would initially reflect a lower number - i think but (at some point) stop reflecting the delete, and it wouldn't delete at all from my "internet" gmail account.

The fix was here - simply clear data for gmail app, thus forcing a full sync, and it's all working again nicely.

senate194

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
My Phone is Galaxy S4:
On mobile network only my Gmail app was not syncing automatically, gmaps was slow, youtube was not working or really slow and Calendar wasn't syncing either.

After looking on the internet I was not able to find the solution. I have tried everything that was simple like clear cache, reboot, sync OFF/ON ...

Solution:

I tried the APN reset solution: Setting/more network/mobile network/Access point name/ reset to default. I did it and also I have found that google services had the check mark ON for restrict background data. Setting/data usage/google services

I have never touched this option before so I don't know why it was checked. After these two steps my phone works perfectly now.

I hope this could help someone..

Thank you

Senate194

baronvongoogle

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
I tried everything to get my Gmail auto sync working again and eventually decided that it's just plain broken. The way I ultimately solved the problem after suffering for months was with an app designed specifically for the purpose: "Force Gmail Sync" (play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=forcegmailsync.com)

There are a bunch of apps that claim to mess with how auto sync works but this is the only one that 100% reliably fixed my problem. According to the Play Store info page it simulates a manual inbox refresh at regular intervals and totally bypasses the system auto sync settings.

I haven't noticed any difference in battery or data usage. Oh, and it runs silently at startup so you can just install it and forget that your Gmail ever stopped working.

Win.

Kathleen Lippencott

Sep 11, 2018
Visit site

I've found just a workaround!

My problem, gmail not syncing, calendar not syncing, tasks not syncing.
Tried every suggestion online, starting from:
Problems syncing Gmail on Android - Gmail Help which is kind of comprenhensive.

Reboot, reboot, reboot won't make it better!

Then I realized of the following, I had been accessing the internet through WiFi when available, then switching to my Data plan, android started to behave awkwardly, but still syncing.

Therefore, the idea, what if I remove the mobile company chip and see what happens????

Well that's it, my mobile is syncing again...

�Divi�rtanse!
Aque Lach
Verizon by any chance??

Vzn your carrier? vzn has the ability to change setting on your phone. and draw over apps. if you have vzn apps installed.

every time I uninstall or remove a vzn permission I have new google settings and new android settings..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary