So, I've been having dropped call issues since I got this phone. I reported it to Verizon earlier today and they're going to check the signal strength in my area.

As some people definitely have issues and others don't, I've spent a bit of time checking out the effect of grip and cases on signal strength. Here are some comparisons I did with the phone sitting upright in the same position connected to ehrpd.

The main antenna is along the bottom section of the phone. Gripping it around that area definitely lowers the signal. When I wrap my hand around the back of the phone near the bottom, the signal lowers by 8-10 dBm. Laying it flat on a table causes a loss of 5 dBm.

The case also seems to play a smaller role. Naked, it sits around -88 dBm. With a diztronic tpm case and Seidio Active case with stand hover around -90 dBm.

Case isn't near as important as grip, but both play a role. If you're in a weak signal area, be aware of how you're holding your phone. It may make the difference in having a call dropped.

I also found that when switching to to LTE, the strength dropped considerably. From around -90 with the case on to as little as -120. Yikes!
    08-26-2012 06:17 PM
    I've checked mine with and without a case and there has been no difference.
    08-26-2012 09:12 PM
    So, I've been having dropped call issues since I got this phone.
    Wasn't this an iPhone feature? The courts did rule that Samsung copied Apple.
    BBSeattle, lbkiml and ansextra like this.
    08-26-2012 10:35 PM
    I have tried three cases so far, the last being a solid aluminum frame style.
    The aluminum completely surrounds the entire edge of the phone.
    No significant loss of signal with any of the cases.
    08-26-2012 10:41 PM
    No signal issues here for me. In fact just like on my Galaxy Nexus, I haven't had any dropped calls yet. When I've used my gf's Razr Maxx, just like on the Bionic that thing switches back and forth between 4G LTE and 3G it seems like constantly.
    08-26-2012 11:23 PM
    Wasn't this an iPhone feature? The courts did rule that Samsung copied Apple.
    LOL....funny! Ironicly, I had an iPhone 4 previously. Being the Verizon version, they may have fixed the issue, but I only dropped calls 2 or 3 times at home over almost 2 years.

With the S3, I see a huge 30 dBm loss when it goes to LTE. That's probably the biggest reason I'm getting dropped. It's something to do with my location. When I'm at work (2 miles away) the 4G signal is as good as -80. I think there are some signal boosters installed in the building.

The LTE signal loss at home is apparent in the phone's status menu where it shows the network type as well as the strength.
    08-27-2012 05:34 AM
    the hand over bottom of phone bit is a known issue, I posted about it over a month ago. 2db drop doesn't mean much, leaving the phone in one place, you can sometimes see a 2 db variant. A plastic or rubber case would be nominal at most, but if you had a metal case, then that would probably affect signal a bit.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=189149
    08-27-2012 09:02 AM
    LOL....funny! Ironicly, I had an iPhone 4 previously. Being the Verizon version, they may have fixed the issue, but I only dropped calls 2 or 3 times at home over almost 2 years.

With the S3, I see a huge 30 dBm loss when it goes to LTE. That's probably the biggest reason I'm getting dropped. It's something to do with my location. When I'm at work (2 miles away) the 4G signal is as good as -80. I think there are some signal boosters installed in the building.

The LTE signal loss at home is apparent in the phone's status menu where it shows the network type as well as the strength.
    They fixed the signal issue on the VZW version of the iphone 4.

Regarding LTE, while VZW may have the largest LTE network right now, it is far from perfected at least in my opinion. The area I have lived in has had LTE since not to long after they began upgrading their system.
    08-27-2012 12:36 PM
    I have three different cases for my phone. When in bad signal areas, two of them are fine, but my little gloss white rubber case DOES bring the signal down. I just wish my phone reception was better in general.
    08-27-2012 03:16 PM
    I've been happy with my Seidio Active case.
    08-27-2012 03:20 PM
    I've been happy with my Seidio Active case.
    Do you have the one with kickstand?
    pauldroidr2d2 likes this.
    08-27-2012 04:31 PM
    Yes, it is. I love it.
    08-27-2012 04:37 PM
    The Active w/ kickstand really is a good case. Pocketability is pretty good. Good protection with very little bulk. The only minor annoyance is that the phone doesn't lay perfectly flat and you need to hold it when hitting the home button. Any effect on signal is insignificant.
    08-27-2012 06:08 PM
    I just wanted to point out that LTE has nothing to do with dropped calls. Our voice and texts are carried on cdma/evdo networks. LTE is currently used only for data.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Wnrgway likes this.
    08-27-2012 06:53 PM
    So, I've been having dropped call issues since I got this phone. I reported it to Verizon earlier today and they're going to check the signal strength in my area.

As some people definitely have issues and others don't, I've spent a bit of time checking out the effect of grip and cases on signal strength. Here are some comparisons I did with the phone sitting upright in the same position connected to ehrpd.

The main antenna is along the bottom section of the phone. Gripping it around that area definitely lowers the signal. When I wrap my hand around the back of the phone near the bottom, the signal lowers by 8-10 dBm. Laying it flat on a table causes a loss of 5 dBm.

The case also seems to play a smaller role. Naked, it sits around -88 dBm. With a diztronic tpm case and Seidio Active case with stand hover around -90 dBm.

Case isn't near as important as grip, but both play a role. If you're in a weak signal area, be aware of how you're holding your phone. It may make the difference in having a call dropped.

I also found that when switching to to LTE, the strength dropped considerably. From around -90 with the case on to as little as -120. Yikes!
    07-31-2018 09:32 PM
    Yes the signal strength get reduced when back of mobile covered with case and also with our hand.
    07-31-2018 09:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD