Unwanted status bar notifications - Dating Sites

Wytnite

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
So for about the last week I started noticing small little icons appearing in the top left hand corner of the screen (status bar?). One appears as a tiny red star but I can't recall the other icon. When I pull down the ongoing tasks/notification I find they are for the dating sites Zoosk and POF.

I don't have these applications on my phone and no runnning applications seem to be pushing them. Would Google/Verizon allow these companies to do notification pushes like this?

Any idea how to get them to stop?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You installed something that is ad supported that is pushing them there. It isn't verizon

Sent from my SGS3...yes, it is better than you think

TonyXL

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It is some other app that is responsible. I hope you are able to determine which one before your significant other sees the alerts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sdianetodd

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I get these push messages all the time & have uninstalled lots of apps thinking one or another was the cause & I have also gone to the website given on some of the notifications to unsubscribe but they always come back. Not all are dating sites but they are annoying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

terasierra

May 17, 2013
Visit site
The majority my apps are from the Play Store and still got several unwanted adwares. AirPush detector found nothing, but the icons are still on my phone. Trust Go identified 8 apps, but the adware icons are still on phone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
terasierra,
Are these showing up when you drag-down from the Notification bar? If so, you can long-press on the notification and select 'App info'
e4u2ahy5.jpg
to find out what app is causing the problem (in this example I long-pressed on the New voicemail notification).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles