Apple now going after Galaxy S3

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Here's the source...
Apple adds Samsung's Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 10.1 to ongoing patent lawsuit -- Engadget

The article says that they, the rotten fruit, are specifically including the Verizon S3 along with other devices to the lawsuit. So what does this mean for us? "Ah... you can't have that S3 anymore it's copyright infringement! We must confiscate it!" I mean seriously, this is the first time in a great while that I've truly been happy with all aspects of my smartphone. By that I mean aesthetics, performance (not a load of FC's, snappy, etc...), reception, data, the total package!

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Looking at all four of those listed patents, they are ALL covered by prior art. A normal database for example will have a front end(user interface), a back end database, and you have ways to query the database and get possible results. Even a normal Google search via a web page has a client(web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.), a back end database, and it suggests results based on what you have typed in already. If you are on a phone, you use a finger, if you are on a computer, you use a keyboard and mouse, and you have options for doing a search.

The only real area they might be able to hit would be the swipe to unlock, but since there are so many devices out there besides Android and iPhone that use that at this point, it may be covered under Prior Art that I just can't think of at 7:23 in the morning.

Any spell checker for around as far back as I can remember(1979) has had some sort of "suggestion" when it does not recognize a word/name you have typed, and a spell checker is a database.

Credit card processing is something that can even be used to show prior art for the "Data Detector" patent. If the first digit is a 3, Amex, if it is a 4, Visa, 5 is Master Card, and 6 is Discover. So, parse the first digit of the number, and then the system automatically picks the proper credit card processing system. That falls under the same idea.

Global search....I've been able to search a floppy or hard drive for selected information since the late 1970s when I got into computers, so I don't see how that would stand as a patent. Just because data has been ORGANIZED now, to make it easier to find stuff does not mean that we have not had access to the slow way to hunt for data for decades, which would invalidate the patent.

It just blows my mind that anyone with any background in the computer industry would not be able to quickly come up with examples from the 1980s that would have violated these patents. As I mentioned, the only possible one I might see upheld is a slide to unlock being fairly distinctive, but at the same time, it also wouldn't be a showstopper or something worthy of a "product import ban".

Apple MUST be in violation of a bunch of Palm patents, so maybe Samsung should just buy those from HP.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
DAMNIT NOT AGAIN!!! WHY APPLE WHY!!!!!!!! I think they want to bank rupt Samsung then buy them sell off what they don't need BC Samsung makes their screens processors and flash memory
INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

drummerman2008

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
That's crazy why sue a company that makes your screen and memory lol! Hold up why apple sueing everybody didn't they steal patients from the smartphone Palm! and lost lol!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully Samsung's appeal of the recent verdict is successful which then can derail this subsequent suit.

Wait, they're going after the NOTE too? I guess Apple patented the stylus too :(

Reactions: jlost

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
All this crap is really just in-fighting for market shares. It's like when leagues and players associations fight or television networks and cable companies.

May provide temporary annoyance for end users, but rarely is about us (or with us in mind)

palandri

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
I read somewhere that if the new iPhone has LTE (which it should) Samsung was going to sue Apple because Samsung owns part of the LTE patent.

I don't think it's ever going to end.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Suing has become a standard business practice. It will be part of the curriculum at Harvard very soon....The class will be called "Sue Your Way to Success".

Can't beat'm, sue'm.

Reactions: jroc

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully this next lawsuit by the rotten apple will flop. The jury already know that they got $1 billion already and that's enough. No need to keep up with the same lawsuits. The jury should have the mindset that You won, now go away attitude toward apple.

And after apple won, sales skyrocketted for the S3:D

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion, Apple did not win because it is not over yet. The verdict should and probably will be overturned on appeal based on the irregularities in the way the jury conducted the deliberations. At that point, Apple will no longer have a leg to stand on going after the S3.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I have officially lost the last bit of respect that I had for crApple. Come on, go ahead and change your company motto to "litigation, not innovation" already.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I've Always hated APPLE and after Buying the New Ipad, it just reinforced that feeling. It's way to restricted, can't do half the stuff you can do with an Android. It's Overpriced, Way Overrated, Boring, and I still have friends that May go over to the dark side trying to make me like it! Don't get me wrong, My Ipad works and it's fun, but every time I try to do something with it, I usually have a hard time getting it to work cross platform with my other devices. Not with my Android phones though. I really should have stuck with my First Inclination and bought the Transformer Prime Tablet. LOL. Since I got my galaxy s3, I've barely touched my Ipad. :D

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Nothing will ever be confiscated from the end user. So far, apple has never even sought an injunction against specific retailers, so retailers can continue to sell devices, even if apple gets an injunction against Samsung. Apple adding these devices should is just normal procedure, they will add every device that they possibility can.

Here's the source...
Apple adds Samsung's Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 10.1 to ongoing patent lawsuit -- Engadget

The article says that they, the rotten fruit, are specifically including the Verizon S3 along with other devices to the lawsuit. So what does this mean for us? "Ah... you can't have that S3 anymore it's copyright infringement! We must confiscate it!" I mean seriously, this is the first time in a great while that I've truly been happy with all aspects of my smartphone. By that I mean aesthetics, performance (not a load of FC's, snappy, etc...), reception, data, the total package!

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Nothing will ever be confiscated from the end user. So far, apple has never even sought an injunction against specific retailers, so retailers can continue to sell devices, even if apple gets an injunction against Samsung. Apple adding these devices should is just normal procedure, they will add every device that they possibility can.

Personally I think this will just backfire for Apple in the court of public opinion. Aside from fanboys on each side who will never be swayed, I think the average costumer will view apple's tactics as petty. They're playing a dangerous game here by going from the underdog who was always innovating and doing it better than the "big guys", to now being the big bully themselves. It won't happen overnight but I've seen many people questioning why Apple is taking these sorts of stances, I think it'll bite them 5-10 years down the road if they keep this up.

jamz82277

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
The only real area they might be able to hit would be the swipe to unlock, but since there are so many devices out there besides Android and iPhone that use that at this point, it may be covered under Prior Art that I just can't think of at 7:23 in the morning.

In London.....
Apple took HTC to court claiming four patent infringements. They included the slide-to-unlock feature common on touchscreen smartphones, a method for scrolling through photographs, a way of changing the alphabet used on a handset, and finally a patent covering software that allows you to touch a screen in two different locations and have it register.

These all seem like pretty standard features to the common smartphone user, but to Apple it?s someone copying the company?s ideas. Luckily for HTC, and anyone who doesn?t use Apple devices, the judge ruled in its favor.

The other good news is the court found three of the patents were totally invalid (slide-to-unlock, alphabet change, and two screen touch). The photo scrolling patent is valid, but HTC did not infringe upon it. I would say HTC is now in the clear, but that would assume Apple isn?t going to appeal the decision.

Reactions: jroc and bigrey81

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that any jury and judge in californication is going to side with apple a US based company from that area. Arent a lot of the features apple has sued over part of the Android OS from google and not samsung anyway? Anyways this verdict only applies to USA. Sounds like they want to stiffle competition and create a monopoly so they can charge even more, to bad apple freakboys dont realize this.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

yes and no.

Will they come to my house and take my phone? NO
Will they "push out an update" that limits or take away some of the functionality? Yes, they have.

Can that be overcome, yeah but not by the normal user. We here on AC, XDA, Rootz are not normal users by and large. we tinker. We like ROMs. We like root.

My wife on the other hand thinks it is silly. I rom'ed her phone once and now she won't even let me answer it anymore. But when Apple won that injunction against the EVO and some things got taken out she blamed the phone. I had to explain to her why things werent working anymore. Think about the end users without an IT department sitting next to them, Apple is.

If they get enough things that need to be "fixed" by Sammy, HTC, Sony, etc, people will get frustrated with Android and go to Apple because it "just works"

Reactions: bigrey81

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae