Returning for 32 gb

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
So i bought the galaxy s3 about 4 days ago and am absolutely in love with the phone. Sales rep at verizon told me to get the 16 gb because I could just get an sd card if i needed more memory. So i thought fair enough sounds like a good idea. What he failed to tell me was apps cant go into the sd card, only the internal memory. So now im afraid i may not have enough room for everything. I know 16 gb is a lot of memory but i use a ton. So now im thinking of returning the phone for the 32 gb version. I know I have to pay the restocking fee but when I get the other phone will i have to pay full retail price or just the extra $50 for the other model? Also would the phone run a little faster with the added space of memory? Other than that this phone is probably the greatest one i have ever owned!

dobermans rule

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I would say that you should only have to pay the restocking fee, and the difference. For the memory, I don't think it will make a big difference for the speed of the phone. It should stay the same, only you should have more space....

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I did the same thing - $50 bucks for double space and you'll make that back when it's time to sell. No difference in performance between the 16 and 32gb models.

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright thanks guys. Sucks cause i had the mind set of getting the 32 gig model but the rep told me i'd be fine if i bought an sd card. Either they do it to make more money on the restocking fee or they just flat out dont know. How are you all liking the phone? I was thinking before this to get the iphone 5 but now im glad i didnt. Apps are amazing and a lot of good games are free! Plus absolutely no lag! Also what does rooting the phone mean, I dont think i will be able to do it to mine considering i bought warranty on it but i'd still like to know

Tomen8r

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Phone is awesome .... argue with vzw that rep told u to get 16gb and didnt mention app to SD isn't possible. Might avoid fee!

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I honestly should, so at least he gives the information to future customers who dont know. Oh ya the other thing I was charged $50 for tax im guessing? I didnt buy the phone for full retail value. Says las vegas at 8.10% and if my math is correct the most it would be was $30. Total bill was 338 or something around there.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Just go into the store and explain the situation - you might get a waiver by the store manager. I had to pay the restocking fee, but got a credit of $35 back on my bill. The system will automatically charge the restocking fee when you do the swap, but the manager can add a credit. Just be cordial.

Mitch R.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Is this a Samsung/VZW limitation? I have quite a few apps on my Droid Incredible SD card. I'm planning on purchasing an S3 within the next few weeks.

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Is this a Samsung/VZW limitation? I have quite a few apps on my Droid Incredible SD card. I'm planning on purchasing an S3 within the next few weeks.

Im pretty sure its just a samsung thing, no matter who the carrier is. From what ive read the internal memory is faster than most sd cards which is why they did it. How valid that statement is well... not to sure. You can still put all pictures and music onto the sd card however but the internal memory is strictly for apps unless you root the phone

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
16GB is a lot of space for apps/games if you keep all your media on the sd card. How are you people filling this up? :eek:

On most other phones you have to install to sd since the memory for apps is limited to a 1-2GB. On Samsung and Nexus phones, there's no such partition which I think is a good thing.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I honestly should, so at least he gives the information to future customers who dont know. Oh ya the other thing I was charged $50 for tax im guessing? I didnt buy the phone for full retail value. Says las vegas at 8.10% and if my math is correct the most it would be was $30. Total bill was 338 or something around there.

Not sure what they do in Vegas but in Massachusetts you have to pay tax on what the phone cost Verizon not what you pay. So instead of paying taxes on $199 I think I paid tax on $500 or something like that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what they do in Vegas but in Massachusetts you have to pay tax on what the phone cost Verizon not what you pay. So instead of paying taxes on $199 I think I paid tax on $500 or something like that.

That would make more sense on where the $50 dollars came from, thanks.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
16GB is a lot of space for apps/games if you keep all your media on the sd card. How are you people filling this up? :eek:

On most other phones you have to install to sd since the memory for apps is limited to a 1-2GB. On Samsung and Nexus phones, there's no such partition which I think is a good thing.

This is the part I really don't get...I have 70+ apps on mine and they're taking up a little more than 800 MB, less than a gig. Some rough math tells me that I could install ~1,400 apps at that rate (assuming the device's RAM and processor could handle it!).

I guess I understand if you have a lot media you want to store on the phone, music, videos, pics, etc...but apps really don't take up that much room at all. Granted, I'm not really into games (I'll try one out every now and then, but that's about it), and I guess they do take up more space...but still...

Given there are 64GB CD cards available, that just seems like plenty of space to me...and you can keep the card and use it between different devices.

Apps to SD used to be a necessity back when internal storage was next to nothing (I believe the OG Droid had only 256MB), but putting apps on the SD forces you take a performance hit, and settings have to be altered so that the OS knows where to call the necessary files from to load.

I think what a lot of folks don't understand when it comes to newer phones is that it is a good thing that you don't need to move apps to SD anymore.

Of course, if you want to exchange for the 32GB model, more power to you ... I just don't necessarily understand the concern when it comes to apps.

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Games take up so much memory. Some of the free ones are pretty good ive only had about 3 or 4 that go over 500 mb's. Some of the paid apps though are really up there, cant remember which one it was, i think it was Need For Speed was about 1.4 gigs. I also want to try out some GBA emulators eventually. I guess in all reality I dont need the 32 gigs, but its better to have more than enough rather then not have enough and wish i did.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Games take up so much memory. Some of the free ones are pretty good ive only had about 3 or 4 that go over 500 mb's. Some of the paid apps though are really up there, cant remember which one it was, i think it was Need For Speed was about 1.4 gigs. I also want to try out some GBA emulators eventually. I guess in all reality I dont need the 32 gigs, but its better to have more than enough rather then not have enough and wish i did.

Well...if the games really do take up that much space, then I can see that. I really didn't know some were that large.

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Well...if the games really do take up that much space, then I can see that. I really didn't know some were that large.

Ya most arent that big though. I just got a golf one that was free that was 774 mb i believe. My favorite game right now thought is the call of duty zombies game where it looks like your legos. That one was 68 mb. Great game though.

BryEDS

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
you can use directory bind to map folders from your internal storage to the external SD Card. People who don't use games don't run into the issue, but games generally download hundreds of MB's to the phone, filling up the storage quickly. Just google search "directory bind" to get it for free. You must, of course, be rooted.

Also, you can download your google music to your computer if your "on device" music is filling it up - I have 8gb of music out there, between personal music and purchased music, so I would fill up the internal storage quickly. When you download it to the computer all the ID3 info is saved with the music, then you copy it to your phone. You must be patient as your only option is to download your entire library or your free and purchased music ... so it takes time, but it allows you to copy your music to the external SD card where google music will see it. Also, the music you download is DRM free, so you can use it on your ipod, zune, xbox through external hard drive, or any other device that supports playing MP3 files - an extremely good deal if you are a fan of cheap, good, DRM free music!!

I have the 16gb s3 and was thinking of returning it but after using directory bind I don't have any space issues, especially with the music trick, this was really eating up my space quickly, but not any more!

Predator04

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This is the part I really don't get...I have 70+ apps on mine and they're taking up a little more than 800 MB, less than a gig. Some rough math tells me that I could install ~1,400 apps at that rate (assuming the device's RAM and processor could handle it!).

I guess I understand if you have a lot media you want to store on the phone, music, videos, pics, etc...but apps really don't take up that much room at all. Granted, I'm not really into games (I'll try one out every now and then, but that's about it), and I guess they do take up more space...but still...

Given there are 64GB CD cards available, that just seems like plenty of space to me...and you can keep the card and use it between different devices.

Apps to SD used to be a necessity back when internal storage was next to nothing (I believe the OG Droid had only 256MB), but putting apps on the SD forces you take a performance hit, and settings have to be altered so that the OS knows where to call the necessary files from to load.

I think what a lot of folks don't understand when it comes to newer phones is that it is a good thing that you don't need to move apps to SD anymore.

Of course, if you want to exchange for the 32GB model, more power to you ... I just don't necessarily understand the concern when it comes to apps.

I have a about 5 high graphic games on mine and its totally full. You have to remember a lot of these new games are 1-2gb alone..

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I tried to return my and get a 32g and was too late. Everything goes to memory. I've always had HTC phones and all data stored on SD card. That's the reason I went with a 64g card. Now I have 1gig of space left on memory. EA games data are 1+ gig. I have 2 games that needs to be updated and both updates are 1gig. I'm not because I don't have space for it. That's the only issue I have with this phone. I'm seriously checking to what HTC is bringing with that new 5inch s4 pro phone with Verizon in 2 weeks. I have so many apps and games.

tony477g

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
^why couldnt you return the phone? Was it passed the 14 days? I am in love with this phone, I dont think i would trade it for anything else. Ive used the iphone 4s and now am thinking the iphone 5 will be far less superior than this. The system is butter smooth and i can pretty much do everything on it. I havent had any trouble with lag on any apps. Only problem is the battery life and the 16 gb memory.