/mnt/sdcard & /mnt/extSdCard, what is the difference?

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the 16gb GSIII with a 32gb SD card that I had in my HTC Incredible and moved it to this phone when I upgraded.

It seems like I have two sdcard storage locations. In Titanium backup it shows this info:

System ROM: 1.54gb (328 mb free)
Internal: 12.9gb (11.4gb free)
SD card: 12.9gb (11.4gb free)
Ext. SD card: 31.9gb (11.6gb free)

The SD card info above I believe is the "/mnt/SdCard" location in astro or root explorer and the Ext. SD card info above is the "/mnt/extSdCard" location in astro or root explorer. Is the SD card: info above really the internal memory since the data is the same? If this is the case why would astro and root explorer show "/mnt/SdCard" location if it really is the internal memory of the phone and not the actual SD card storage? That's a little confusing.

I rooted my phone two nights ago to try and fix my copy and paste issue that I was having. I successfully rooted (I didn't unlock the bootloader, only rooted) but was unable to fix the copy paste issue so I ended up just doing a factory reset. Before the factory reset I did a Titanium back up so I could save my application data and I removed my SD card from the phone (to make sure that didn't get formated in the factory reset process) and then preformed the factory reset.

When the reset was competed and I logged back into the phone my apps started downloading on their own from the play store. Once that completed I was suprised to see that SU was in my app drawer after the factory reset I still retained Root. At that point I turned my phone off and inserted my SD card so I could then refresh the application data via titanium back up that was done prior to the factory reset and I believe that back up was saved to "/mnt/SdCard/TitaniumBackup" folder on the sd card but when I inserted the card there was no record of the titanium back up and I was missing some pictures that were saved in my picture file on /mnt/SdCard/pictures. All my data that was in /mnt/extSdCard was not impacted and it was all there but seems like anything in /mnt/SdCard was gone.

With that am I to believe that anything I save on /mnt/SdCard is not really on my SD card? Was there something I needed to do before removing the SD card from my phone before the factory reset to perserve that data? I just believed that the data on /mnt/SdCard was truly on my SD card but if it is how did it all get deleted after the factory reset when my SD card wasn't in the phone but all my other SD card data was not touched?

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have the 16gb GSIII with a 32gb SD card that I had in my HTC Incredible and moved it to this phone when I upgraded.

It seems like I have two sdcard storage locations. In Titanium backup it shows this info:

System ROM: 1.54gb (328 mb free)
Internal: 12.9gb (11.4gb free)
SD card: 12.9gb (11.4gb free)
Ext. SD card: 31.9gb (11.6gb free)

The SD card info above I believe is the "/mnt/SdCard" location in astro or root explorer and the Ext. SD card info above is the "/mnt/extSdCard" location in astro or root explorer. Is the SD card: info above really the internal memory since the data is the same? If this is the case why would astro and root explorer show "/mnt/SdCard" location if it really is the internal memory of the phone and not the actual SD card storage? That's a little confusing.

I rooted my phone two nights ago to try and fix my copy and paste issue that I was having. I successfully rooted (I didn't unlock the bootloader, only rooted) but was unable to fix the copy paste issue so I ended up just doing a factory reset. Before the factory reset I did a Titanium back up so I could save my application data and I removed my SD card from the phone (to make sure that didn't get formated in the factory reset process) and then preformed the factory reset.

When the reset was competed and I logged back into the phone my apps started downloading on their own from the play store. Once that completed I was suprised to see that SU was in my app drawer after the factory reset I still retained Root. At that point I turned my phone off and inserted my SD card so I could then refresh the application data via titanium back up that was done prior to the factory reset and I believe that back up was saved to "/mnt/SdCard/TitaniumBackup" folder on the sd card but when I inserted the card there was no record of the titanium back up and I was missing some pictures that were saved in my picture file on /mnt/SdCard/pictures. All my data that was in /mnt/extSdCard was not impacted and it was all there but seems like anything in /mnt/SdCard was gone.

With that am I to believe that anything I save on /mnt/SdCard is not really on my SD card? Was there something I needed to do before removing the SD card from my phone before the factory reset to perserve that data? I just believed that the data on /mnt/SdCard was truly on my SD card but if it is how did it all get deleted after the factory reset when my SD card wasn't in the phone but all my other SD card data was not touched?

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

mnt/SdCard is the phones internal memory that can't be removed while mnt/extSdCard is your SdCard that you put in your phone.

When you do a factory reset it will wipe the internal SdCard except for personal data and stuff like that. When you do a full factory reset wipe (in recovery) it won't erase things like Tibu backup or pics that you have on the card but it will erase user settings saved.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Creccaj1

It just seems odd that the internal memory is called /mnt/SdCard - I should have moved the files I had from there to the /mnt/extSdCard before my factory reset.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Creccaj1

It just seems odd that the internal memory is called /mnt/SdCard - I should have moved the files I had from there to the /mnt/extSdCard before my factory reset.

I agree it is odd, I guess its because they are using SdCard memory for their storage too. Makes it confusing. When I first got the phone I didn't distinguish it either.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Mnt/sdcard is a virtual sdcard and represents your phones actual memory.

Mnt/extsdcard is the physical card that you buy and put in the card bay right below the battery.

It really makes using non root file explorers a big pain in the rear end.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2