[Verizon] "OFFICIAL" JellyBean Speculation

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
With everyone's mind turning towards JellyBean, I thought it a good idea to try and keep it confined to a single thread.

Post all of your rumors, speculation, whining, complaining and disgust over how the JellyBean release is going, here.

There is no reason to post more than a single thread. When it comes out. There will be several more threads I will open for the same purpose.

Thanks

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Knowing Verizon's track record with updates, I don't expect the official Jelly bean update until probably the middle of next year. Shoot at this point, not everyone has even gotten the VRALG1 update that a lot of people have now. I am still on the VRALF2, when a friend of mine, who bought their S3 two weeks later has it.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
baseband and radio build

Which also may not make a difference.. The Galaxy Nexus was the same way.. different versions but they were both the same in the end... they were labeled different as they were released, same as what seems to be happening here in this case.

Also with the PDK:
Starting with Jelly Bean, Google will release a?PDK (Product Development Kit)?to Android manufacturers months before the OS is actually ready to go. This way, Google is trying to make the update process go faster, and it?s an idea that should work well in the long run.
Hopefully we will start seeing new OS's pushed to devices a lot faster then what we're used to seeing. The international version has already been spotted running JB. The only drawback is we'll have to wait for Verizon to load their crap onto it before it gets pushed out.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I dont ever expect Verizon to actually "support" their devices with updates as they should. They only care about selling the next device. With the new Razrs coming out the S3 will fall to the wayside like so many others. They couldn't even get the Nexus right and let a much smaller CDMA company beat them to pushing JB out to it before them.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
You guys have to understand something before you go any longer wondering when the update will come out. Every time I pick a phone, the updates become instantly dried up. It's all my fault and I know it. From my Blackberries to Bionic and now the S3, I seem to drive updates away better than I drove girls away in high school.

So, my prediction for Jelly Bean is going to have to be some time 4th quarter.... 2013.

rls1400

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I would think they'll get the JB update done sometime in October. With the iPhone coming out, you'd think they would want to keep their flagship Android device as competitive as possible.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
The S3 may be Samsung's flagship device at the moment, but it is not in anyway the flagship device for Verizon. IMO Verizon has shown they care less about the S3 because it is not their "Droid" brand. Everything right now is Razr this and Razr that. That device is their flagship device.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The S3 may be Samsung's flagship device at the moment, but it is not in anyway the flagship device for Verizon. IMO Verizon has shown they care less about the S3 because it is not their "Droid" brand. Everything right now is Razr this and Razr that. That device is their flagship device.

This actually doesn't seem to be an accurate statement. The Bionic carries the DROID appendage and it isn't getting its updates. So, that line of logic seems a bit flawed.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I misspoke. Let me rephrase, Verizon picks and chooses which phones they want to support and push on customers and the S3 isn't one of them. They are all about the razr. You are right and thank you for correcting me. I had forgotten about my charge being of the "droid" brand and they pretty much crapped on that one.

Scottee28

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Verizon] "OFFICIAL" JellyBean Speculation

I'm am hoping this year for JB, but it probably wont show up until the 2013 second quarter. Verizon has shown time and time again they don't care about existing customers and phone updates. If you get one update, consider yourself lucky. Actually surprised the SG3 came to Verizon at all. Still don't have the OTA VRALG1 update, even this minor update gets the Verizon middle finger.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm am hoping this year for JB, but it probably wont show up until the 2013 second quarter. Verizon has shown time and time again they don't care about existing customers and phone updates. If you get one update, consider yourself lucky. Actually surprised the SG3 came to Verizon at all. Still don't have the OTA VRALG1 update, even this minor update gets the Verizon middle finger.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
You guys have to realize Verizon is never going to release timely updates for the GS3 or the Nexus. These are by far the best phones w.r.t dev support and having a long lifespan, thus it's in Verizon's best interests to delay updates and thus force people who have no idea about rooting to get a new phone.

smbrooks32

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
If anyone can provide a great response on this would be great... ok Verizon says it's manufacture that releases the updates but I've also heard that the code is particular for cdma.... and big red has to run there test to any one want to chime in? And what other carriers do cdma + galaxy s3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums