Upgrade to S 3?

EagleWSO

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Currently I have a Droid X2 that replaced my Droid X due to it failing a few times and since they stopped making it I got the X2 but didnt have to use my 2 year upgrade.

Right now I'm contemplating getting the S3. I had originally been waiting on the Razr HD MAXX but I was pretty disappointed when I found out its exactly the same as the old Razr except it has an HD screen (essentially). I had been wanting to get something newer than the Droid X and I really enjoy the fact that I can root it and customize it to my liking (although I havent lately). I understand the Razr HD MAXX won't have that option.

I can't say I'm entirely unhappy with the Droid X2, its a solid little phone. I know the 4G is a big difference and most places I will be have 4G access. Based on this, what would your suggestions be? I am currently eligible (and have been for a few months) for the 2 year upgrade. I am also on a grandfathered family plan with unlimited data which is nice. I just can't decide if I want to use the upgrade on the S3 since it almost seems as I'm adopting it rather late or wait even longer for something coming down the pipeline. I don't know of anything other than the new iPhone or the Motorola offerings that are in the near-ish future so I'm almost thinking its pointless to hold out. Opinions/thoughts?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded to the S3 myself from the RAZR, based on reasons similarly to yours. The new RAZR HD looks very nice however I still think the S3 has a much nicer screen. In addition, although at the moment I have zero interest in rooting/ROMS, you can bet the new RAZR will have a locked bootloader.

You might go try one in the store. I was skeptical at first till I tried it then I was amazed. Also if you can I believe they are $130 on amazon with a 2 year so its a little cheaper than the store.

sparesr4sissies

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Everyone here is going to tell you the S3 is the best Verizon has to offer and I would be no different. I've been repeatedly amazed at the things that this phone can do and how quickly it can do them.
As for your unlimited data plan... You're probably going to lose it. Verizon has been taking them away and the only way to guarantee you'll keep it is by paying full price for your phone. Some of us (me included) got lucky and were able to keep unlimited data after they told us it would be gone. I'm not sure how were were able to keep it, but somehow I still have unlimited data.

EagleWSO

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Ill be keeping the data as far as I know since my line is not the primary. I don't sign a new contract, I am just eligible for a new phone after 2 yrs.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Ill be keeping the data as far as I know since my line is not the primary. I don't sign a new contract, I am just eligible for a new phone after 2 yrs.

No. When you upgrade phones at the subsidiary prices ($200) that is your contract resign and you will loose the unlimited data on whatever line you just upgraded however the other lines will remain untouched.

You can do like I did. I had an upgrade on my line so I transferred it to my mother's line then upgraded her line to the S3 but activated it on my line. Doing this uses 2 upgrades aka resigning a 2 year agreement on 2 lines. I still have unlimited data on my line and my mother is on the 2 gig plan now (she barely uses 1).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

EagleWSO

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
No. When you upgrade phones at the subsidiary prices ($200) that is your contract resign and you will loose the unlimited data on whatever line you just upgraded however the other lines will remain untouched.

You can do like I did. I had an upgrade on my line so I transferred it to my mother's line then upgraded her line to the S3 but activated it on my line. Doing this uses 2 upgrades aka resigning a 2 year agreement on 2 lines. I still have unlimited data on my line and my mother is on the 2 gig plan now (she barely uses 1).

Turns out its not a huge deal. Swapping from our Friends And Family plan to the Share Plan would up our bill $5 and give us 1GB of breathing room. I am on Pandora CONSTANTLY (basically the only radio I use in the car) and figured I would be the killer on the data plan. Turns out I only average 1.5GB, my sister uses 3.9GB/mo! Holy crap...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Razr HD Maxx is an upgrade to the Razr Maxx

-Better CPU - The HD uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 CPU (same as the gs3)
-LTE radio is on the SoC (the Razr Maxx has a separate LTE radio)
-4.3" qHD vs 4.7" HD
-32GB internal storage vs. 16gb internal storage
-2530 vs 1780 (for Razr HD vs Razr)

Really, other than the 2gb ram on the gs3, the tech specs of the razr hd maxx and gs3 are similar

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
The Razr HD Maxx is an upgrade to the Razr Maxx

-Better CPU - The HD uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 CPU (same as the gs3)
-LTE radio is on the SoC (the Razr Maxx has a separate LTE radio)
-4.3" qHD vs 4.7" HD
-32GB internal storage vs. 16gb internal storage
-2530 vs 1780 (for Razr HD vs Razr)

Really, other than the 2gb ram on the gs3, the tech specs of the razr hd maxx and gs3 are similar

Keep in mind that yu only get about 4.5 of the screen due to onscreen buttons

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I went from a Droid X to S3. No regrets. On my DX, I had frequent force closes and random reboots, occasionally I could not use the phone for calls. Since I got the S3 on launch day, I have never had a force close, random reboot or had an issue getting it to make a phone call. I also have decent battery life and don't notice any difference with regards to radio signal. After a poor comparative experience with Motorola (the DX), I wholeheartedly recommend the Samsung Galaxy S3, as the cream of the current VZW crop.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

scraptacular

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I went from a Droid X to S3. No regrets. On my DX, I had frequent force closes and random reboots, occasionally I could not use the phone for calls. Since I got the S3 on launch day, I have never had a force close, random reboot or had an issue getting it to make a phone call. I also have decent battery life and don't notice any difference with regards to radio signal. After a poor comparative experience with Motorola (the DX), I wholeheartedly recommend the Samsung Galaxy S3, as the cream of the current VZW crop.
Exactly my experience, except I didn't get the S3 until last week. I love it!