S III vs Nexus

cceller

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I am currently a Nexus owner and am pretty happy. (I am still plagued by the mysterious mid-call mute issue but I can live with it).

Is the S III that much better of a phone than the Nexus?

Did anyone hear move from the Nexus to the S III and are you happier for it?

Thanks,

Chad

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I got the Nexus on release. Used it for about 4 months then got bored with it. About all I can remember is the terrible battery life. I am absolutely blown away with the S3 in just about everything. S3 is miles ahead.

cynrn29

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Agree still have nexus but had to buy the S3. The nexus just didn't hold up to its promises or its signal. The S3 is Way better especially camera and battery. Much smoother and a lot faster.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm moving to this phone tomorrow...I bought a Galaxy Nexus and while I love the phone, I have no signal and the battery dies while searching for something that isn't there!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not to shoot down the Nexus, it still has is perks and place in the Android market. Those who like to run AOSP and have the option to build AOSP for their device. But I have to agree with others, you want the latest and greatest with a long list of bling then the SG3 is the place to be.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I had (well, still have) a GNexus and it was basically useless as a MOBILE device given it's abysmal battery life and piss-poor radios. The only thing that I liked was the size/shape and the pure ICS/JB operating system.

Upgraded to an S3 and love it. Battery life is tons better. Screen is way better. Radios can actually hold an LTE signal all day without dying after 4 hours. And with the current nightly builds of CM10 being daily-driver quality, I'm satisfied completely. Even flashed a zip that disables the S3's capacitive buttons and home button and adds an on-screen nav bar at the bottom exactly like the GNexus and Nexus 7 have. Perfect. Home button is remapped to camera shutter. Couldn't be happier.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am still a Nexus owner,but upgraded my other line (original Incredible) to the S3.
I agree the S3 has a much better battery life and a better camera.I havent had any issues with my nexus like dropped signals or dropped calls.I also havent got bored with my Nexus.
I do love my S3 but still love my Nexus.If I had to choose only one between those 2 well I am just glad I dont have to.:)
Get them both ,Keep them both they little bit different but kinda the same at the same time .

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I am still a Nexus owner,but upgraded my other line (original Incredible) to the S3.
I agree the S3 has a much better battery life and a better camera.I havent had any issues with my nexus like dropped signals or dropped calls.I also havent got bored with my Nexus.
I do love my S3 but still love my Nexus.If I had to choose only one between those 2 well I am just glad I dont have to.:)
Get them both ,Keep them both they little bit different but kinda the same at the same time .

They are both great phones. I too never had signal issues with my Nexus. The thing that let me down about it was despite the vast dev support and all the rom/kernel options, Nothing I tried really showed much improvement for battery life. The phone was great, fast, screen was nice, but I was lucky to get 3 hours of screen time. I haven't really had the S3 long enough to evaluate it but it seems much improved simply on the battery front. The screen looks so much more beautiful to me as well.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the avg. battery life I get on the Nexus is 18hrs ,sometimes more sometimes less ,depending on my screen on time.I think the most screen on time I had on the nexus has been between 2 hrs. and 2.5 hrs.
The battery life on the S3 has been avg for me 30hrs.I have had over 3 hrs screen ontime with it.
I can live with a battery life of at least 12 hrs,,,,personally :)

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I had (well, still have) a GNexus and it was basically useless as a MOBILE device given it's abysmal battery life and piss-poor radios. The only thing that I liked was the size/shape and the pure ICS/JB operating system.

Upgraded to an S3 and love it. Battery life is tons better. Screen is way better. Radios can actually hold an LTE signal all day without dying after 4 hours. And with the current nightly builds of CM10 being daily-driver quality, I'm satisfied completely. Even flashed a zip that disables the S3's capacitive buttons and home button and adds an on-screen nav bar at the bottom exactly like the GNexus and Nexus 7 have. Perfect. Home button is remapped to camera shutter. Couldn't be happier.

I miss the pure android, but that's about it. This morning my dBm and asu on my GN were -120 and 99....that's as bad as it can get. I went to BB and got a GS3, and they are -83 and 12 as I type this. And I actually have 4G at home when I struggled to get 3G with my GN. This phone is night and day. This is my first time with VZW, and I figured they were the problem, but it actually was the phone...AND...NFL Mobile frickin' WORKS!!!

MobileMadness002

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Getting the SIII on Thursday. Hope to do a lot of reading to find the best apps and widgets for it. Torn between the 32GB and the 16GB. Diff of $50.00 on contract.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Getting the SIII on Thursday. Hope to do a lot of reading to find the best apps and widgets for it. Torn between the 32GB and the 16GB. Diff of $50.00 on contract.

I doubt you'll regret it whichever one you go with. I'm amazed with mine so far...8hrs in. Got a full charge, and have been streaming audio and downloading apps for the last 4 and still have 75% charge. I haven't stopped. I want to murder the battery, then get an overnight charge on it...My NG would have already been tethered to an outlet just from searching for a signal.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I just pricked up an S3 because I misplaced my GNex while on vacation. I figured if I was going to pay full retail I should get the latest. I was surprised to see that the Charge is still the same retail price as the S3!

That said, I run CM10 and probably wouldn't have gotten the S3 if there hadn't been the bootloader leak.

Once back from vacation I will be making an insurance claim and will have both!

Steve

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Donoghan

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Even flashed a zip that disables the S3's capacitive buttons and home button and adds an on-screen nav bar at the bottom exactly like the GNexus and Nexus 7 have. Perfect. Home button is remapped to camera shutter. Couldn't be happier.

What zip is that and where can I get it? That is exactly what I have been wanting to do to mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

seriyb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I didn't know this could be done but this is exactly what I want! The only reason I still don't have this phone is because the buttons are backwards from my Nexus 7.
Are you on Verizon? Can this be done with the Verizon phone?

Please post the link to this.
Thanks!