lock screen? black screen blocks dialing voicemail

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

When I try to enter my voicemail password which is a total of 6 numbers, I can most often enter the first 3 and then the screen goes black and I can't complete the voicemail entry so I can't access my voicemail. It did this a few times before but I was able to hold my finger on the top portion of the screen above the dial pad numbers and complete the password entry. Now that doesn't work. Just this afternoon it started going black after entering one password number.

I thought it was perhaps the reminder app I had installed so I uninstalled that today and rebooted the phone. Problem did not go away. I went into the phone settings --> display --> screen timeout, it's set to one minute. Settings --> display --> touch key light duration, I tried all the settings in there and that had no effect. My Settings --> display --> smart stay is enabled.

I'm out of ideas -- any suggestions? I can't be w/o my voicemail. Right now I have one message I can't access.

Thanks for your help.
Deb

breeze

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
As a temporary solution have you tried putting your password in as part of the voicemail number?

Or make sure your power button is not set to hang up phone calls and when the screen goes black just briefly push the power button and the screen will come back on.

zeteo

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I have experienced the same thing. I think it's the proximity sensor. When you go to enter the numbers, try keeping the phone horizontal and be very careful to avoid the sensor. Hope this helps!

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
As a temporary solution have you tried putting your password in as part of the voicemail number? Or make sure your power button is not set to hang up phone calls and when the screen goes black just briefly push the power button and the screen will come back on.

Power button: yes, but it immediately goes black again. // Where do I find the setting for the power button to check the "not set to hang up" option? I don't find that.

Voicemail pw: no, I can try that but that's not going to cure the problem really.

I think it's the proximity sensor. When you go to enter the numbers, try keeping the phone horizontal and be very careful to avoid the sensor. Hope this helps!

I'm not familiar with the proximity sensor. Where would I find the setting for that? Is it the same as the gyroscope calibration?

I just tried disabling Smart stay, didn't help.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I found the settings for the power button and answering key. These are disabled by default. Found the setting for the voicemail # and tried that. I keep getting the "Welcome to Verizon Wireless" message instead of my voicemail.

- - - Updated - - -

I switched from Swipe to open the lock screen to having to use a code and this switch allowed me to access my voicemail. So it's the Swipe to unlock that maybe is the problem. I will keep testing.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
bring up your dial pad. Hit the menu button and go to call settings. Under call settings, go to voicemail settings. You should see a screen with *86. After the *86 add a comma and then your password, example *86,1234. and save it. Now when you go call voicemail, it will automatically enter your password.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
This is going from bad to worse or at least bad to bad. I tried the voicemail with the comma and I can access it that way (thanks). However, I didn't like inputting a pin number which seemed to cure the problem so I switched to a pattern. Well apparently that's also a swipe thing because the problem came back. What's worse is that the phone won't let me change the screen lock with pattern to anything else.

When I go into Screen lock secured with pattern thinking I could disable it, all I get is the option to confirm (and I suppose change) the pattern. When I go to "With swipe lock" which is disabled, I check the box to enable so that "Lock screen options" will be enabled. Once in there, I got nothing to help me change away from the pattern thing.

So, how can I get all my options back so that I can go back to inputting a password.

Does this sound like an app conflict or something wrong with the phone?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I found my way in. I needed to confirm the screen lock pattern and then it allowed me into the rest of the options for this section.

john guzik

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
blank screen blocks dialing password or option

Before you try to enter a password (eg, voicemail #) or select an option (eg press one for english) during a call, make sure you hold the phone (SIII) with the right hand and enter the numbers with the left hand......Using the phone as a left hander (ie, holding the phone with the left hand) causes most lefties to place their right hand too close to the proximity sensor when entering the password which causes the screen blanking......the proximity sensor thinks it is sensing your face; thus turning off the screen.....fishinfool5

Last edited:

Damaris Castro

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your answer!!!

I have been having this problem while trying to access my voicemail and it was becoming very frustrating. I tried your simple solution and it actually works, ha...Awesome! and thanks.:):):)

Lynda Gilbert

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I tried all of these things and none of them worked. Finally while searching online I found the answer on a review of the phone on a WalMart site.
I took off the screen protector and voila, it's working. Though simple enough I am a tad bit annoyed that the "experts" from straight talk that I was having a correspondence of emails with did not have an answer for me.

But now what do I do for screen protection? :-\

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Try a different screen protector. There are several with cutouts for the sensor or clean the area over it very well.

Posted via Android Central App

warnmar10

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same problem only it was with entering information into IVR systems, press 1, enter account dispatch ID number etc.
Open dial pad > menu button > call settings > uncheck "Auto screen off during calls
When checked it turns on the proximity sensor during calls. Downside, the screen stays on during calls now.

wiggulde

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The problem is a setting ...go to the phone, then menu in lower left corner, then call settings,and then uncheck "Turn off Screen during calls Turn on proximity sensor during calls".
This worked for me !

mirty

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with Tracfone. I am willing to follow your suggestions, but is it safe to enter the 86+PSW? The person you were answering to said it worked for him but he preferred to do something else since he did not like using the pin. I have been dealing with this issue for four days and I have learned more about the problem and solutions here than with the provider or even LG. LG said it would be a software problem as managed by the provider; the provider did not have the answers. I wanted to disable/delete the password but the provider told me it could not be done. I am about to return the phone. I have not been able to use it as a phone yet since I need my messages when I leave home; however, it is using minutes/data with all my trials and errors trying to solve the issue. Thanks to you and all others helping others.
UPDATE
Tried the *86+PWD and I got the message that the *86 could not be changed.
I have placed the phone far from my face, almost one foot away, using the speakerphone. I have kept a steady hand but my LG L38C screen keeps turning off.
When I reinstall the battery it works about twice and then it begins doing the same thing again.
Any suggestions?

mirty

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I was using the "Shield" brand protector and I removed it. I then cut a square/rectangular piece leaving out about half an inch above and at the bottom of the phone, enough as not to obstruct the openings. That way the screen will be totally covered. I did it to make sure that the problem with the Voice Mail was not due to shield's interference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair