Group Text Messaging

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Verizon also has their own messaging app (which isn't that bad really), that adds the group text capability. I've been using it since the Thunderbolt and actually like it. Could be a coincidence, but seems to have also fixed my "No SIM" issue....

Glad you shared this. With others in my family on iPhones the individual message problem was becoming a real brain teaser each time a separate response came into the group thread - particularly when responses to the group thread were at random delayed time intervals with other more current individuals threads going on at the same time. I installed it just now and agree it doesn't look too bad. The installer process even imported all of my messages from the stock app and arranged them into individual and group messages sorted by date/time. Now time will tell if this was a good move.

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Iphones are the problem. I have the worst time doing group texts with them. I have 4 other people we group text with on a daily basis.

The only applies that works. Sort of. Is there Verizon messenger. It's laggy but it does work.

One big flaw is that every time you get a new group text and you're not in the app, it goes all the way to the top and you can to run it down to the first message. Maybe I have a setting wrong but it's annoying.

I wish ifails would go away. They do everything different :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I do not get the same results with my Galaxy. Every Group MMS I've sent always comes back as an individual message. I've checked every setting I can think of and can't find a "group MMS" option. Am I missing something?

Same here with the stock app...good news is, works prefect with GoSMS

EDIT: Actually...it does work correctly with the stock app. The problem I saw was due to someone else needing to enable group texts on their side.

Last edited:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Glad you shared this. With others in my family on iPhones the individual message problem was becoming a real brain teaser each time a separate response came into the group thread - particularly when responses to the group thread were at random delayed time intervals with other more current individuals threads going on at the same time. I installed it just now and agree it doesn't look too bad. The installer process even imported all of my messages from the stock app and arranged them into individual and group messages sorted by date/time. Now time will tell if this was a good move.

So after a few weeks using the Verizon Messages app, today I tried to copy a txt message from one SMS group thread and paste the contents into a message for another group message thread. When you click on the text to copy, there is no "copy" function. The closest thing I can find is something called "Save Quick Text". So I tried to "Save Quick Text", and then copy what I thought was the selected text content from the source message to the destination message. What I got was the last item in the buffer, which happened to be a Google search string that I had texted someone over a week ago in a separate thread.

So, should I be able to do a simple copy/paste from within Verizon Messages? Do other messaging apps have a basic copy/paste function? I know the default messaging app does and wouldn't mind going back to it but for the group text messaging problem.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I had with the stock app was the group messaging.... Sending to multiple people was never an issue, the issue was when anybody replied back it showed up as a new text and lost the group thread. Happened every single time but never happens with GO SMS. I was a bit surprised since the Rezound I came from treated group texts just like the iPhone does (must be the way HTC made the app in sense).

But, like others have said 3rd party apps work perfectly. I prefer GO SMS because it works perfectly and looks very nice too ;)

Is there a setting for this? I send out group messages but they still come back individual. Thanks

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Is there a setting for this? I send out group messages but they still come back individual. Thanks

If you enabled sending group SMS, that's it. If its not coming back in group thread...maybe person on other end isn't using group SMS.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
If you enabled sending group SMS, that's it. If its not coming back in group thread...maybe person on other end isn't using group SMS.

Ok. Thanks. Most everyone I know has iphones and when I send out a group message they always come back as individual. I guess the phones don'e play well together. I also seem to get everyone's individual responses to group texts since they must default to reply all.

aimeeinohio

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
If you usr the Verizon messages app, it works almost like iMessage. My friends are on iPhones as wekl. The only issue i hsve is when they use smilies, the smilues don't show for me.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
So after a few weeks using the Verizon Messages app, today I tried to copy a txt message from one SMS group thread and paste the contents into a message for another group message thread. When you click on the text to copy, there is no "copy" function. The closest thing I can find is something called "Save Quick Text". So I tried to "Save Quick Text", and then copy what I thought was the selected text content from the source message to the destination message. What I got was the last item in the buffer, which happened to be a Google search string that I had texted someone over a week ago in a separate thread.

So, should I be able to do a simple copy/paste from within Verizon Messages? Do other messaging apps have a basic copy/paste function? I know the default messaging app does and wouldn't mind going back to it but for the group text messaging problem.

This is really the only issue I've had with the VZ app. Luckily for me, it's not a very common thing for me to need to do, but what I do is select "forward", then select the text from the new message and copy it, then just back out of the new message and discard it. The text is now on the clipboard for use in other threads.

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed either of these issue with the Verizon Messenger app?

One, it takes forever to delete group threads. Despite setting my MMS limit at 50, it got back up to 1500 in one thread again. You have to select delete group thread, and then wait. Eventually it will kick back saying the app is not responding. You have to click wait. Do this 10 more times and the messages are finally cleared out... Odd.

Second, when you get a new text. It always defaults to the first text. So you have to scroll all the way down again to get the newest.

Odd, no?

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Thanks. Most everyone I know has iphones and when I send out a group message they always come back as individual. I guess the phones don'e play well together. I also seem to get everyone's individual responses to group texts since they must default to reply all.

Most of my group texts involves iphones users as well. I haven't had any issues with using GoSMS...sounds like you've hit a bug. Trying clearing the app cache and restarting the app...or even remove and reinstall it. You'll also be able to receive smilies from iphone users if you also install the emojii plugin.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Most of my group texts involves iphones users as well. I haven't had any issues with using GoSMS...sounds like you've hit a bug. Trying clearing the app cache and restarting the app...or even remove and reinstall it. You'll also be able to receive smilies from iphone users if you also install the emojii plugin.

Wish I could figure this out. I send a message out to two people and they both respond and the messages come back in individual threads. The group message only has my outgoing message. I did reinstall and it didn't help. Ugh

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Wish I could figure this out. I send a message out to two people and they both respond and the messages come back in individual threads. The group message only has my outgoing message. I did reinstall and it didn't help. Ugh

The way it's suppose to work, you get a group message from someone...GoSMS will first see it as an individual message and alert you then covert it to MMS and alert you again. It now shows up as group message when you check. It happens fast.

So, from what you describe it seems you are having problem with the texts being coverted to MMS. Go into the stock messaging app and under MMS settings -> enable Auto retrieve. That might solve your issue.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
The way it's suppose to work, you get a group message from someone...GoSMS will first see it as an individual message and alert you then covert it to MMS and alert you again. It now shows up as group message when you check. It happens fast.

So, from what you describe it seems you are having problem with the texts being coverted to MMS. Go into the stock messaging app and under MMS settings -> enable Auto retrieve. That might solve your issue.

This was fine. Maybe I'm sending sms instead of mms. And what the heck does insert appellation mean?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I realized the other day that I'm remiss in not coming back to this and leaving anyone thinking that Verizon Messages does not support copy/paste. Got it figured out here
"Somehow I got into a state where the Copy Message Text function was not displayed, and only the choice to select Save Quick Text. Must have been user error on my part as there is indeed a copy/paste feature. So, I'm staying with Verizon Messages for now, but would use the stock app if it had the group messages capability."
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/217402-best-sms-app-3.html

illest813

May 16, 2011
Visit site
As an aside, I am sure you are all familiar with the iPhone group chats are done with iMessage and that it works great for all users with am iPhone. As a droid user, it shows up as you having to download 7 different persons response, and you don't know which to reply to. Is there anyway to make it as simple and clear as if you were the standard iphpme user in the group?

To be honest that's a big reason I just switched to the iPhone. We couldn't figure out how to get around it. And my friends aren't downlosdig third party apps or anything. There needs to be one app on the droid end that can fix this mess.

Please, I really wanna switch back to android!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11