Group Text Messaging

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Have you read this thread? People are getting this functionality on android using apps like Verizon messages or GoSMS.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I assumed you have the setting checked for sending mms...but attaching screenshot just to be sure...this is what you should have checked.

View attachment 44985

Sloan can you repost a screen shot? I'm pretty sure I'm doing it correctly but messages are still coming back in individual threads. Thanks.

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352392591486.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352392591486.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 254

illest813

May 16, 2011
Visit site
haha to be honest i ate a lot of ambien and was cruising through them half ed - i didn't know if they were grp chats between droids together or just specifically iphones. i meant iphone only with the imessage but i guess its the same thing. is there a lot of lag between downloading them since its technically a MMS? with my g-nex it took a while and a bunch failed/took forever. or is the speed seamless like it would be if you had imessage

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
haha to be honest i ate a lot of ambien and was cruising through them half ed - i didn't know if they were grp chats between droids together or just specifically iphones. i meant iphone only with the imessage but i guess its the same thing. is there a lot of lag between downloading them since its technically a MMS? with my g-nex it took a while and a bunch failed/took forever. or is the speed seamless like it would be if you had imessage

Using GoSMS...I get about a 2 second delay while it converts the received message to MMS for display as group thread.

GoldenEagle06

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I started using handcent yesterday. Seems to be doing the trick. Will test it more tonight. I'm looking for something similar to iMessage

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
This is really the only issue I've had with the VZ app. Luckily for me, it's not a very common thing for me to need to do, but what I do is select "forward", then select the text from the new message and copy it, then just back out of the new message and discard it. The text is now on the clipboard for use in other threads.
So, I may not be so wrong after all. Today I tried to do a copy/paste from a response that had the same sender respond prior in the group message thread. Notice in the screenshot that there is no copy/paste feature. This could be due to a bug in the VZ app?
View attachment 45374

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed either of these issue with the Verizon Messenger app?

One, it takes forever to delete group threads. Despite setting my MMS limit at 50, it got back up to 1500 in one thread again. You have to select delete group thread, and then wait. Eventually it will kick back saying the app is not responding. You have to click wait. Do this 10 more times and the messages are finally cleared out... Odd.

Second, when you get a new text. It always defaults to the first text. So you have to scroll all the way down again to get the newest.

Odd, no?
I haven't seen the issues you mention even though I have one thread at over 1900 msgs. I did import some of those from the default app, so perhaps these are not factored in. Not had to delete a thread either, but the app not responding could be due to the app chugging or looping through each response to the thread and deleting responses sequentially rather than as a batch. Just a guestimate here. But will be more aware now and see if I notice in addition to my copy/paste issue.

gtgirl88

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
my fiance and i had iphones and everytime we replied to a group message it would reply to everyone. i hated that.. people that we didnt even know were asking who we were.. i am all for getting messages back individually.

Ouzo92

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
The only problem I had with the stock app was the group messaging.... Sending to multiple people was never an issue, the issue was when anybody replied back it showed up as a new text and lost the group thread. Happened every single time but never happens with GO SMS. I was a bit surprised since the Rezound I came from treated group texts just like the iPhone does (must be the way HTC made the app in sense).

But, like others have said 3rd party apps work perfectly. I prefer GO SMS because it works perfectly and looks very nice too ;)

I've never had the need for a third party app for texting,I too came from a Rezound... do I need uninstall the stock app or adjust any other settings to prevent duplication? The group messaging issue annoys the hell out of me.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've never had the need for a third party app for texting,I too came from a Rezound... do I need uninstall the stock app or adjust any other settings to prevent duplication? The group messaging issue annoys the hell out of me.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Just disable notifications in the stock app

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I know this isn't terribly helpful, but I recently switched to the note which has jelly bean, and the stock messaging app works perfectly for group texts. Even with apple users. All the pics are mms which means you can pinch and zoom, but I'll take it. Nice and simple. Most importantly, it works....

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
my fiance and i had iphones and everytime we replied to a group message it would reply to everyone. i hated that.. people that we didnt even know were asking who we were.. i am all for getting messages back individually.

I feel the same way -- if you really want to do a "group discussion", just use email or a chat medium that better supports it. For one, even if I don't know every person in the thread, it at least helps to have them identified (and attached to thread) so I'm not getting weird responses from "some phone number". It also used to annoy me that iPhone users would sent out these group texts, almost assuming that EVERYONE else also had an iPhone and/or not realizing that it didn't make sense to all recipients who would start getting random texts incoming as part of the thread (although that is better now that more devices support the feature).

I'm sure I already mentioned it in this thread, but that's why I switched to the Verizon Messaging app. It works well, the UI isn't too overwhelming (and is a bit nicer than the stock app, IMO), and it supports the group texts that so many people insist on using. What is nice is that if you want to sent to multiple recipients, you have the option of sending individual messages, or using the group feature -- same when sending replies within an already started group thread.

Brandon LeBlanc

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So Sloan, here is my problem. I am using Go SMS Pro. When I check the "MMS Group Chat" under Send Settings attempts to send to iPhone users time out. When I uncheck it they send through, but the responses come in as separate responses. I am on a galaxy SII running 4.0.4

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Brandon, I've never run into that problem...don't know what to tell you. You could try clearing the app data and try again. You may also want to try another app like Handcent, I've heard some people have had success with that as well.

randomdude

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
the verizon messaging app has worked great on this phone since i bought it back in october. they have updated the UI so it's easier to use and more aesthetically pleasing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007