Checking for updates! Service unavailable

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Is this a recent problem? I received the last update and just checked to see if there was another update to fix the factory reset bug that is going around and now I get the " Service Unavailable " . I did a factory reset and it didn't fix the problem. I hope I don't have to exchange my phone because it works perfectly other than this problem.

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue on Verizon GS3. Hopefully someone will figure out a fix before Jelly Bean update becomes available.
I tried all the suggested fixes and none worked :-\

perrine219

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I also am getting the service unavailable message. I was able to check it before. Last time was 9-30-12. Now it's not working. Talked to Verizon and Samsung. They found no fix. Getting replacement to see if it works. I had this problem with my initial gsm3 and they replaced SIM card and did a new activation on phone and it worked. If replacement doesn't work.... I will go that route. Please update if anybody has found a fix. Tried everything.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the error too. I have no idea what is causing this. I was able to complete the most recent update. Oddly, when I go to the update software menu, I see messages about the previous update installing successfully.

I wonder if this is a backend issue or if phones really need to be replaced?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
ant lee, that was kind of what I was thinking after trying all the suggested fixes and factory reset. Perhaps when everybody is checking the Verizon servers sense that the phone has the latest software and the service will become available again when there is actually a OTA to be pushed out. My phone always said that the software was up to date before so I will keep my fingers crossed. I hope the last update didn't break some peoples ability to update their phone or Verizon is going to be replacing a lot of them.

perrine219

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't feel the replacement will do anything but I will update after I activate it anyway.

---------- Post Merged at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Also... not sure if it's just Verizon... in another thread where was an AT&T user with same problem.

perrine219

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Just activated new replacement phone and my "check for software update" is working on new phone. So... I done know why others stopped on last phone but it is working for now on replacement phone.

ant lee

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Did you install the new update on it yet?
I think maybe the new update breaks the ota or changes it but its weird cuz after I updated it the ota worked for awhile till just few days ago it stopped working

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Did you install the new update on it yet?
I think maybe the new update breaks the ota or changes it but its weird cuz after I updated it the ota worked for awhile till just few days ago it stopped working

I'm pretty sure this was my experience as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

ant lee

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Just activated new replacement phone and my "check for software update" is working on new phone. So... I done know why others stopped on last phone but it is working for now on replacement phone.
Yea for now until you update ur new phone to the update then it will stop working

perrine219

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
The new replacement phone had the new update already installed on the phone. On last phone... it worked for a few days after last update. Not sure what's going on but hope they fix it or they will need replacing lots of phones. I'm happy mines works g now.

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I will call tech support so they can tap into my phone with the new "Remote View" feature so they can see what the problem is. Oh wait ..... they probably aren't familiar with this feature LOL.

ant lee

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I will call tech support so they can tap into my phone with the new "Remote View" feature so they can see what the problem is. Oh wait ..... they probably aren't familiar with this feature LOL.

Haha yea you should see what they say we have to get this issue fixed

Kayger12

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the ever-growing list. My GS3 last updated on Sept 15th at 5pm.

I've been getting the service unavailable message for almost a week (since before the mentioned server crash). I've tried all of the suggested fixes short of replacing the sim.

I guess we'll all be waiting to see what happens when they get around to releasing Jelly Bean...