Checking for updates! Service unavailable

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Relax people, there's not even an update (for most of you). Same thing happened with the Thunderbolt I just came from. The server goes in an out. If an update is released and you keep getting this message and can't get an update, then I would worry.

People on the Thunderbolt forum used to try and speculate that when the server was unavailable, it meant Verizon was loading a new update on it.

j_herrm17

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Add myself to the list. Updated Sept. 29th and haven't been able to check for updates since. Have tried all recommended solutions on this thread and still no fix. Gotta be Verizon I'm thinking

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
There is a thread about this over at the Verizon community forums as well. The story is the same - several people have spoken with Verizon customer support about it, but no one seems to know the solution.

This is starting to get a little irksome. At least there isn't a current update rolling out, but I suspect the good townsfolk will raise pitchforks if they're still getting this error when an update is released!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

garyrh

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Well I am back from Verizon and they put a new sim card in and problem solved. Something must of corrputed the card from the last update on some sim cards.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd been running CleanROM 2.5. I'd already taken the OTA a week or so ago when I upgraded to this ROM. I decided to go back to stock and reinstall and it wouldn't allow the OTA any longer. (I'd done this previous a couple times and all was good.)

A trip into VZW today for a new SIM and as soon as it was activated, the OTA came up immediately. I think I'll stay on stock for a while til' it's figured out what is going on with SIM cards getting corrupted or whatnot.

Unless of course there is a way to root the G7 build and then unroot the G7 build if needed without having to flash back to the original stock rom. I'm fine on the locked bootloader. I'd only love to disable a few more Verizon apps that it won't let me disable and mod the notification bar a bit.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Pleased to report that swapping the sim card fixed this problem for me as well.

Last edited:

twilite2000

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm a noob so IMHO. If updates aren't available maybe Verizon has control over this service and just opens it when updates are out. We have 2 GS3. Just 1 month old and both say service unavailable. I think I'll wait to hear about an update and when I don't get it is when I'll panick. That's also when VZW will have a real big problem that they need to fix asap. Sounds like from reading all the above they'll have lots of people pounding on their door. Again I'm a noob. Thanks for these forums I've learned a lot.

Kayger12

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
^Nah, I don't think so. Immediately before we installed the new SIM card I got the Service Unavailable message. Immediately after the new SIM card was activated the message I got was "No new software update available."

If it was a server issue or on their end, nothing should have changed.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
^Nah, I don't think so. Immediately before we installed the new SIM card I got the Service Unavailable message. Immediately after the new SIM card was activated the message I got was "No new software update available."

If it was a server issue or on their end, nothing should have changed.

True that. I am having the same issue and it's just started. I know it worked before the last update I got but now I get the same error. I'll try another SIM card - I mean it won't hurt anything to try it.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe this is an issue with sim cards and the way they are recognized by the phone/Verizon's network. Plenty of people have reported this and it only seems to happen on the Verizon version of the GS3.

They've released 2 updates (G7 and HD) to try and fix the sim issues (which also cause the 'no sim' error) and it still isn't fixed yet.

Kayger12

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe this is an issue with sim cards and the way they are recognized by the phone/Verizon's network. Plenty of people have reported this and it only seems to happen on the Verizon version of the GS3.

They've released 2 updates (G7 and HD) to try and fix the sim issues (which also cause the 'no sim' error) and it still isn't fixed yet.

That's another interesting observation. Several of my coworkers who have a GS3 (but not all) also have the Service Unavailable problem. Each person who had/has the Service Unavailable problem also had the No Sim service dropout problem prior to the G7 update. The people who didn't have the No Sim problem don't have the Service Unavailable issue as far as we can tell.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The people who didn't have the No Sim problem don't have the Service Unavailable issue as far as we can tell.

I was not experiencing the no sim error, but did experience the service unavailable error after I received the G7 update.

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I was not experiencing the no sim error, but did experience the service unavailable error after I received the G7 update.

Kayger12, I had the same exact experinace. Stopped into Verizon store and got a new SIM and problem is solved. Gal helping me nor the resident expert on the floor knew anything about this problem.

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I too was getting the Service Unavailable error. Stopped by Verizon, and as stated above, the Techs had never heard of the problem. Unfortunately, they wouldn't install new SIM card unless they did a factory reset 1st. I REALLY didn't want to do that, but I know the Techs must follow protocol established by Verizon Support. Sooo, after factory reset didn't fix the problem, a new SIM card was installed and VOILA, problem fixed. :)

dayjayvw

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I went to the Verizon Store as I have the same issue with my S3. Advised after research my troubleshooting steps and they went on their "internal VZW forum" and agreed with my diagnosis of new sim needed, fixed the issue, OTA update is now up to date.