Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) does not recognize Samsung Galaxy SIII

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Use KIES Air. It is a little slower bc it is over wifi but it works fine with the latest Mac OS, that is what I am using. It is stock on the phone so there are no third party apps involved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

alkags

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) does not recognize Samsung Galaxy S3

It isn't your USB Cable. I have just bought a new Macbook air and Samsung S3 and I am experiencing the same issue. I even tried to use Kies Air to browse the Samsung with my browser and it didnt work. :(

---------- Post Merged at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:54 AM ----------

Did you try throwing the Mac out of the Window of a very tall building?

This is a super solution! Er... I think.

dpisorn

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Found this on another website, and it's the first thing that actually worked (although I have no idea how or why). Plus, I didn't have to download any other software.

I was able to fix the problem by clearing data for the Settings Application (Settings>Application Manager>All>Settings>Clear data) and then setting the phone to connect with MTP instead of PTP. I can now connect to Android File Transfer without a problem. (The first time I had to manually open AFT, but now it pops up automatically)

dpisorn

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Found this on another website, and it's the first thing that actually worked (although I have no idea how or why). Plus, I didn't have to download any other software.

I was able to fix the problem by clearing data for the Settings Application (Settings>Application Manager>All>Settings>Clear data) and then setting the phone to connect with MTP instead of PTP. I can now connect to Android File Transfer without a problem. (The first time I had to manually open AFT, but now it pops up automatically)

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
1. How do I get my machine to recognize my device via USB? Again, I'm on a Mac running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on the Verizon's version of the Galaxy S3 which currently has ICS.

Try Android file transfer with TCP again

2. What's the best method of syncing music and playlists, either via USB or wireless?

Kies is a pretty good contender...you can download the kies program (works like itunes basically) , or even use it in your browser wirelessly by opening up Kies Air, an application that comes pre loaded on your phone.

3. Is there a way to root the device using a Mac and if so, is it possible to get a clean copy of Jelly Bean (or another recommended image?) that will still work with the Verizon "necessities"?
I believe there is a one click root solution for the mac, But your best bet would be to get a computer that runs windows, dual boot windows on your mac, or run windows in parallels to root your device that way. There is a page on XDA forums that lists all the Stock image files for your phone, including some ones that get rid of bloat, or come rooted already.
4. Finally, I did a full charge last night (phone has been on battery for about 3 hours now) but the battery is already down to 84% (with very little usage) - what are some techniques you guys use to conserve?

1. Disable apps that you dont use (mostly bloatware) by going into settings-application manager-all- and selecting the ones you do not use.
2. Set brightness to auto in brightness settings
3.Turn Sync off if you aren't using it by going into settings-accounts and sync- and turning it off via the switch on the top right of the screen.
4. Getting a black wallpaper...This tip dosent save much battery, but it does save a little
5. turning bluetooth and wifi off when youre not using it...those are big battery suckers
6.Turning off NFC, WIFI direct and S-Beam When youre not using them by going into settings-more settings and switching them off
7. Turning motion activation off by going into settings- motion activation and switching it off
8. Using location services only when you need them (GPS, VZW Location Services, Google Location Services) By going into settings- location services
9. If youre not in a 4G covered area, get an app called "Phone Info" from the Play Store and open it, scroll down until you see something that says "LTE/CDMA/EvDo" and click it. Turn this setting to "CDMA auto (PRL)" This basically turns of the 4G radio so it isnt looking for a 4G signal where there isnt one. To reverse this, just turn this setting back to "LTE/CDMA/EvDo".
10. Turn off wake up command. Double press the home key until you see "S Voice" pop up. press the menu key (the button next to the physical home button) and press settings, and scroll down until you see wake up command and turn that off.
11. Touch key lights.. Limit the amount of time they are on by going into settings- display and pressing "Touch Key Light Duration" and setting it to a setting that you are comfortable with

You dont have to do all of these things... but try to mix and match the ones that suit your personal usage :)

Hope this helps!

anitosh

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

For battery conservation part, I turn off the mobile data option and it works like a magic. It saves huge battery consumption. Also I quit all apps running behind when phone is not in use.

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I have also been having this problem. My MacBook Air had been recognizing my Galaxy S3 using a USB cable and Android File Transfer. After recent updates on my MBA to Mountain Lion and an update on Galaxy S3, AFT no longer recognizes my phone. Various forums encourage me to use Kies Air, DropBox, or other wireless transfer or sync methods. I tried. It's either way too slow to transfer of large amounts of music folders or it places them in the wrong location on my phone. I just want AFT to work the way that it should. I finally found the answer on one of the many forums covering this problem. It's a very simple fix. It's only one or two things that you have to do but I'll carefully list all the substeps:

1. Disable or delete Kies Air. (You can always download it again once Samsung, Google, or Apple fixes the various protocol problems)
2. Make sure that you are running the latest version of Android File Transfer. My version, which works, is 1.0.50.2266. You can find AFT here: Android.com
3. Reboot your phone.
4. Unlock your phone or unlock the screen if your phone is locked
5. Connect your phone via the USB cable. The USB PC connection protocol should be MTP, not PTP, to have your phone recognized as a media device.
6. AFT should launch automatically but you may have to launch it manually once if it has not been launched before.
7. You should now see your phone's file system in AFT's window on your Mac.

This has been reported to work for everybody that has tried this fix. My suspicion is that it is Kies Air that grabs the USB connection event and then never passes it on. This would also explain why owners of other phones that do not use Kies have not been reporting this problem.

Now that I have AFT working as it should and I have an easy way of transfering and updating my file directories on my phone, I am a happy camper. Too bad that none of Apple, Samsung, or Google ever investigated this sufficiently to post a workaround sooner.

DkRogers

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

My Droid 2 used to connect to Mac or PC regardless of OS with no extra software download. But now I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 and I was ablue to install Android File Transfer, which gets you connected to the Phone. But it wont connect me to the Micro SD card in the phone. Theoretically, that should mount like a USB drive. But for now, I just suck the Micro SD card into a card reader. That's a temporary solution, hopefully, being that the Micro SD is a hassle to remove. You have to pop off that delicate back panel. I'm guessing its not build for several removals, and would break eventually.
Does anyone know how to make the Micro SD mount (while within the Galaxy S3) while its connected via USB?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

@ComfortableCurmugeon. Nice share on AFT workaround. I'll play around with it over the holidays. I agree with your thought that something is contending for the USB subsystem.

@DkRogers. Attached is a screenshot from my MBP with OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Kies 2.0.0.12113_6. You'll see that Kies recognizes "Internal" and "External" Memory. My understanding is that the Micro SD card should be mounted by default and available to Kies if USB state is set to MTP. As a quick experiment I switched from MTP to PTP mode and Kies immediately lost the connection to my S3.

Attachments

• KiesMountainLion3Dec12.jpg
    KiesMountainLion3Dec12.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 25

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read through this entire thread, but silly question. Is your S3 powered on? It has to be awake, can't be asleep otherwise Android file transfer won't recognize. My MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion recognizes my S3 no problem!

yomamar6

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, do not install DoubleTwist unless you can get your Mac to recognize your phone as a drive.

I purchased it before reading the manual. It's great for wi-fi transfers, but if you want quick transfers over USB then you have to make sure you can see it as a drive first.

Here is what I copied from their manual:

"NOTE: This is an important step as doubleTwist will not recognize your device unless it also shows up as a drive on your Mac."

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

Hi guys

If I may add to this; from what I have found out myself, the problem is with the Samsung Galaxy S3 with Ice Cream Sandwich on a certain version or higher (4.0.4 I think).

If you are running a Samsung Galaxy S3 with ICS version 4.0.4 then you will not be able to connect to Android File Transfer (any version) or Kies (Any version) in OSX Lion or Mountain Lion by USB cable.... UNLESS you uninstall KIES using the uninstall app

I spent days reading through Samsung tech forums, XDA, Google and various other sites trying to find a solution to this and basically there isn't one yet. Don't blame Apple - it was an update by Google/Sammy that put the ki-bosh on it.

Issue 36970 - android - Android 4.0.4 update bug with Android File Transfer on mac - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

There are a number of half-assed workaround and not-quite-working bits of software that sort of do the job, but nothing properly. I now use Air Droid which will allow you to access both internal and external cards (external card is hidden a little in the 'mnt' directories but it is there) but it's only a workaround - you can't do a Kies backup and restore for example. Very annoying.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the comment above about uninstalling Kies - this works! If you uninstall kies using the 'Uninstall' application that comes with the original Kies app then Android File Transfer finally works again!

Cheers

Robsa