The GS3 signal reception is a joke. Should have known, its a Samsung

w00derson

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
So, I finally cracked and bought a GS3 with hopes that it might have at least acceptable reception. After 5 days with the phone, I can say that the reception is junk, just like my last 2 Samsungs (Charge and Galaxy Nexus).

My house is basically a dead zone for any cell reception and my office for my business is located there as well. So I make and take a lot of calls at home. In the last 5 months, I have dropped MAYBE 2 calls with my Maxx. Never even had any issues with calls breaking up either.

With the GS3, I basically have to walk outside to make or take a call. And the calls I do take inside are usually breaking up to where I'm running for the door to get outside. Its a shame because I really do love the phone. Its just too bad that it lacks in the department which the device was ultimately created for, being a telephone.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
It sucks you're having issues. It doesn't make matters better for you but I haven't had any signal problems. I got really good reception with my charge and nexus. I never experienced dropped calls.

Fission Mailed from ParanoiaS3

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't compare my GNex and GS3...it's night and day. My GNex would drop a call inside my house and struggle to find 3G. My S3 gets 4G inside, and never drops anything.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I also had a Charge that was a perfect, that was until an OTA they pushed out in June wrecked it. After the OTA I had so many reception problems that I used my upgrade to get the Nexus. Within the first 24 hours with the phone I had to replace the sim card because I had no service at all. Two days after that I had to have the entire phone replaced. After a week of fighting with it and an additional sim card, I returned it. They waived the restocking fee since I had so many issues. I ended up getting the S3 because I had a motorola product, didn't like it, heard and read too many issues with HTC, and was dead set against the iphone. While the reception hasn't been the greatest, it is hands down better than the Nexus. I am on my third sim card and have flashed just the LG7 modem and things have been much better.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So, I finally cracked and bought a GS3 with hopes that it might have at least acceptable reception. After 5 days with the phone, I can say that the reception is junk, just like my last 2 Samsungs (Charge and Galaxy Nexus).

My house is basically a dead zone for any cell reception and my office for my business is located there as well. So I make and take a lot of calls at home. In the last 5 months, I have dropped MAYBE 2 calls with my Maxx. Never even had any issues with calls breaking up either.

With the GS3, I basically have to walk outside to make or take a call. And the calls I do take inside are usually breaking up to where I'm running for the door to get outside. Its a shame because I really do love the phone. Its just too bad that it lacks in the department which the device was ultimately created for, being a telephone.

Sucks to be you that you happen to be in the most terrible spots at home and work for cell reception. I guess you have no choice but to use a motorola device.

Wnrgway

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same situation at my home. My wife says reception is about the same as her HTC Incredible. I've called Verizon and after marking dropped calls for them, they've made some changes at either the towers or their system. It's a slight improvement as I'm not dropping calls like I used to.

Check out the coverage map on their website, call them to complain about droped calls, mark the dropped calls as they suggest. They may end up cutting you a deal on a signal booster if you're supposed to be getting good coverage.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Any chance it's that particular phone? My first S3 had bad cell and data reception from the start.
The replacement has been rock solid, great reception similar to my old Bionic.
Do you know anyone else with an S3 that could test the area in question?
Hope you get things worked out.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yup it's a Samsung. My HTCs get good reception. The S3 isn't too terrible for me though, but I do notice a bit of a difference.

OP call Verizon and inform them of your situation, be persistent. They will give you a signal booster you can place in your home/office. This should solve your problem. Or buy one off ebay

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have bad reception as well in areas with a weak signal. My phone constantly drops out of 4G to 1x. It does seem to be a Samsung issue, as I tested a Nexus, my S3, an iPhone 4S and a Razr, and the Samsung phones had the worst signal reading and speeds.

FWIW, Verizon has said that Samsung is aware of this and working on a patch.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My gs3 beats all 4 of my Thunderbolts by a mile. But about the same as my rezound.

Yup it's a Samsung. My HTCs get good reception. The S3 isn't too terrible for me though, but I do notice a bit of a difference.

OP call Verizon and inform them of your situation, be persistent. They will give you a signal booster you can place in your home/office. This should solve your problem. Or buy one off ebay

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

It is interesting reading about experiences like yours. My experience with the S3 and the Maxx are completely reversed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
My wife started with the Maxx and then switched to the S3 after she tried mine. Both our S3's have better reception than her Maxx.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat as the OP. I had the RAZR. I sit in the same spot in most of my classes. Never had issues with the RAZR, always got good cell service. Then I got the S3 (first one) and when I went to the same class and sat in the same seat texts would fail to send left and right. Eventually I got a replacement S3 and now I have zero issues.

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
my s3 runs off a network extender at home drops when I drive away, drops three times on 24 mile commute, drops at work in metal building, drops when I arrive back at home to handoff to network, works great everywhere else. I live with it have had nothing else work any better just the area Chapel Hill Tennessee

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with reception on either my Nexus or S3.I do live in a medium strenght 4g area, work in a weak 4g area.I can't remember when the last time I had a dropped call.
I know its frustrating though for those who have had though

sent from my S III

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I am really curious to where some of you live because I have had no real issues.

I work and live in an area that has pretty good coverage as well the buildings I work at have Verizon repeaters. I travel throughout Mass and never ran inyto issues with signal. That being said I have noticed droid devices having better reception ex: our verizon repeater was down and in the basement I had no signal as my co workers on droids were getting some.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I get absolutely sh***y signal indoors but awesome signal outside. My t-mo s3 coworkers get awesome signal outside and indoors and they laugh at my Verizon S3.
Really sucks when you only get one day of battery life from sending a few texts because my phone is constantly searching for signal, switching between 3g and 1x all day at work. Can't even use my data since I can't connect to the network.

..Atleast if makes me focus on work than playing on my phone.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear the problems. However, signal strength has always been a very person/location specific thing.

My GSIII seems to have signal strength just as good (and better in the case of wifi reception) as my previous Moto phone.

-Suntan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781