The GS3 signal reception is a joke. Should have known, its a Samsung

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Its not really a joke. The joke is that after already owning 2 Samsung devices that had bad reception in your area, then getting the Maxx that really gave you no problems, you go back to Samsung knowing the fact, that they don't work in your area!!!! That's the joke.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Its not really a joke. The joke is that after already owning 2 Samsung devices that had bad reception in your area, then getting the Maxx that really gave you no problems, you go back to Samsung knowing the fact, that they don't work in your area!!!! That's the joke.

Bam! Haha

OP, move.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

In that case we all best watch out for all the S4 on system chips like Motorola, hTC and LG are using. Who would of thunk Samsung replacing all hardware and still not on par with the Razr or Rezounds signal. My son works in a VZW store and has customers complaining about signal with the Razr M running the same chip.
Hate to blow up your joke, but No Joke!
Examle Motorola Razr M
http://forums.androidcentral.com/dr...th-issues-post-your-signal-strength-here.html

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had poor reception with a range of phones, two BlackBerries, one Motorola Droid 2, and now an HTC Incredible 2. In fact, the DI2 goes out of service at my house when I remove the case. VZW keeps telling me I should have good coverage at home and at work. Not true. And I rarely get 3G speeds at the office. The kick in the pants is that all the AT&T phones in the building get great reception. Go figure.

walkingrock

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I had not able to get a data signal at work with my S III; I had been able to with my previous phone, a Droid 2. I was extremely disappointed. I tried all kinds of various setting changes and apps, without improvement. Finally went to Verizon and spoke to them, was told to turn off the phone, in the location I was having trouble with, Turn it back on, dial *228, then #832. I was extremely skeptical. This is supposed to have something to do with getting the phone to "talk" to the closest tower or something. I tried it, and was very surprized that it worked. My work is in the basement of a large building, and is notoriously known for being difficult to get a signal. I paid the fee for breaking my contract with AT & T and came to Verizon because of that very issue (nearly 4 yrs ago). I don't know if this is something that will help others, I'm sure it depends on what the signal problem is. I was ready to get another Motorola phone!

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe that *228 will work with 4G phones. Back in the Thunderbolt days some were still dialing *228 from their new Thunderbolt 4G phones and doing some permanent damage to them. Verizon I believe fixed this some how. A good thing to do is power down, pull SIM card, let phone sit for about 5mins then put SIM back in and power back up. That should allow you to re-establish connection with the network. If that dont work get a new SIM, if that don't work get a new phone.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I wanted an S3 but after all these forum posts about signal issues, I'm holding off. What's the deal with the Samsung radios, they just suck?? It seems people sometimes have good reception but for whatever reason they have an unstable 4G connection. Maybe I'll wait for SIV.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How do you qualify it?

There are a number of areas where my GS3 holds signal just fine where my Tbolt will drop signal or will say it has signal but it doesn't (can't browse any web pages). There are areas where the Tbolt drops signal somewhat frequently where my GS3 runs just fine. I had 4 Tbolts (2 new, 2 refurb) and they all had about the same signal problems. I have a friend with a Tbolt as well. Her phone drops signal a lot, whereas I can be standing right next to her and have signal just fine on my GS3.

I also did a lot of speed tests on both phones. My Thunderbolt never got over 30mbps. In the same locations and times, my GS3 got over 60mbps several times and goes into the 30s and 40s almost every day I test it.

All 4 of my Tbolts also had random shut down and restart and rapid battery drain while not using problems.

My GS3 on the other hand holds signal very close to that of my Razr Maxx and Rezound.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Wife's SGS 3 seems to pull a very nice signal compared to my GNex or NS4G. She used to complain a lot about her old Epic 4g's signal but she's been very pleased with the SGS 3

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't compare my GNex and GS3...it's night and day. My GNex would drop a call inside my house and struggle to find 3G. My S3 gets 4G inside, and never drops anything.

Yeah my SGS3 has great 3G/4G signal and no issues since I got it Saturday. My GNex had good signal too but this device is loads better than the GNex IMO.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
No reason in giving the OP a hard time, it's his business... the guy wanted to try out the new S3 and so he bought it. This is a discussion, what do you care what decision he made about his phone purchase? The S3 has a new chip, and is still a great device overall, so he wanted to give it a chance.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Dont blame the GS3 as a whole because you are having issues. I have been sitting with 5 full bars of 4G since launch day and I love the incredible speeds and call quality.

MatrixMan

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Granted I live in an area with a lot of towers, but my reception is better than my Dinc. Not one dropped call yet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
My "dropped calls" problem ended when i switched from T-Mobile to AT&T, years ago. T-Mo was a dead zone in my neighborhood, but Cingular (now part of AT&T) had a tower just up the road from my house.:D