Can't change lock screen wallpaper

Blackpearrl

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to this forum (but not to android). Just got the S3 2 days and haven't rooted it (if that's even possible yet).

My problem is, no matter what I do, I can't seem to change the wallpaper for my lock screen. I have disabled a few apps and I will try and enable them again to see if this helps, but so far, nada. I would take it back to Verizon for exchange but they charge a f@#$%^&* "re-stocking fee" if I do, so I'm trying to avoid that. If anyone's had this issue or has any idea what causes it, please LMK.

Thanks!
Hillary

ilovetheflbeach

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Click on your gallery, select your picture (press firmly - depending on the picture you may see a bright line that outlines the picture if you see that - then menu, bottom left corner looks like a drawer, choose set picture as, choose lock screen wallpaper, picture will then show a 2 vertical lines left and right sides, with squares and blocks ( that supposed to be there) choose done, it'll then say, setting wallpaper, back out to your home screen, press the turn off screen (right side), press again to turn back on. Ta Da

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Another way to do it is to pick any screen that has a open space on it. Press that open space until a menu pops up that says:

Home screen
Add to Home screen
Set wallpaper for
Home screen
Lock screen
Home and lock screens

Select Lock screen and then select from Gallery or Wallpapers and then go from there,

Blackpearrl

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I've actually done that stuff though, repeatedly. The phone acts as if the command was registered, but then I lock the phone & re-open it, & sure enough the lock screen hasn't changed. I've tried to do it numerous times in the way it's supposed to work (ie, the methods you mentioned above) but nothing works. Any other thoughts?

anon(41665)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Yep - that happened to me. I had another Gallery app (quic pic) as well as a wallpaper app I was using. The way I fixed it was to go to the particular app in application manager and clear out the "defaults" as well as the cache. The Lock screen uses a specific size/resolution. You have to use the stock Gallery app for it. My problem was that I used another app to edit the wallpaper and set it to use as default. Once I cleared the default and used the Gallery app to crop, I could apply any lock screen wallpaper.

Blackpearrl

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Ahh! that worked, thank you! One weird thing though -- I wasn't even trying to use my own pics, I was trying to use a stock photo & even that wouldn't work. but it also didn't prompt me to crop the image either, which is strange. But since I cleared the defaults & cache, it's all good & now I can actually put up a personal pic on my lock screen. Anyway, thanks again! I was pretty annoyed that my brand new phone was already malfunctioning.

Blackpearrl

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
BTW, which wallpaper changing app do you use? I've tried 2, Wallpaper Changer & one other. they both work briefly but then fail. Just curious. Thx!

vijer

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've actually done that stuff though, repeatedly. The phone acts as if the command was registered, but then I lock the phone & re-open it, & sure enough the lock screen hasn't changed. I've tried to do it numerous times in the way it's supposed to work (ie, the methods you mentioned above) but nothing works. Any other thoughts?

I am having the same problem, the lock screen worked before but stopped working in the last week or so. I have the same response, the system seems to register the request but it does not complete.

I tried clearing the defaults and the cache but it still doesn't change the lock screen.

Last edited:

jinda

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
This is my problem on my note 2 as well. I can't change the lock screen even if I follow all different steps mentioned on this thread. It doesn't show any error during the process but it doesn't work for me. Any solution?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

SilverTT

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar question which I thought the OP was also asking.

I know how to change the standard wallpaper on the device so you I can choose a stock photo or my own photo for the wallpaper across all screens. What I want to do is use a more generic / stock photo for just the lock screen, prior to entering your password. Does anyone know how to do this?

In the last version of android I had, maybe 4.0, there was an option to select for lock screen and wallpaper separately. Now I can't seem to find the option to change just the lock screen photo while having a different one for wallpaper.

Tailik214

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the similar problem which annoyed me for over a week but the fix as follow:

Goto Setting > Application Manager > call up the sub menu then "Reset App Preference"

After doing the above, when you go to change "lock screen wall paper", please select the "gallery" instead of any other 3rd party "Quick Pic" open the file. Then it's done. If you need to "edit" the photo for the Lock Screen wallpaper, I use the "Photo Editor" which works perfect too. Good luck
:)

lexmia

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem of not being able to use the wallpapers that came with the phone on the lock screen. I am very frustrated not being able to do so on my $600 SIII i9305.

I had changed the lock screen options to use a password to unlock the phone. This seems to prevent changing the lock screen wallpaper to one of the stock wallpapers. You can use any picture from the gallery or any of the Live wallpapers though.

After I removed the password option and used the swipe unlock option, I was able to use the stock Wallpapers, the Live Wallpapers, or the gallery pictures as background for the lock screen.

If I go back to any Screen Lock options that require a pin, password or pattern, the screen will go back to the last gallery image or stock wallpaper that had been set before.

This is really frustrating.

Lexis8990

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
i currently have this option for my spectrum but problem is when i choose to change my lock screen wallpaper it just stays on the first gallery stock wallpaper , even if i select another stock pic it still shows that red,white,orange lined wallpaper. i hate it and i have tried what was suggested but there is no way to restore defults for the wallpaper lol because it is not an app im just trying to change the stock pic on my lock screen to another stock pic

Mary Dominguez

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the similar problem which annoyed me for over a week but the fix as follow:

Goto Setting > Application Manager > call up the sub menu then "Reset App Preference"

After doing the above, when you go to change "lock screen wall paper", please select the "gallery" instead of any other 3rd party "Quick Pic" open the file. Then it's done. If you need to "edit" the photo for the Lock Screen wallpaper, I use the "Photo Editor" which works perfect too. Good luck
:)

BEST WRITTEN ADVICE EVER! Omgosh this problem was killing me. Thank you so much. Very helpful.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae