Would you use Verison's Anti-Virus app?

lesorkim

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
While at an Andriod Class at the Verison store, they recommended not using any antivirus software as any software app hogs resources and slows down the phone. (I was a bit sceptical about this as I identified three other things they said that I knew were wrong.) Now I am getting emails from Verison saying, you should try our new Anti Virus App! What about you all? Are you using;
1. Verison's Anti-Virus App,
2. Another Anti-Virus App, or
3. NO antivirus App?

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I use Lookout. It's basic but also lightweight enough for me. If you don't do anything risky like downloading pirated apps, you shouldn't have to worry about viruses anyways.

njgsregal

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I used Norton for years and watched my pc performance go into the tanker. Then Norton missed a couple of viruses and it was time to leave them. I switched to kaspersky and it works better, uses less resources, updates 3 times more often and has great support. So my android is also protected by them. So my vote would be check out kaspersky and I wish you Good luck with your search.

Sent with my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2.
;-)

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
None...Tried them all...I agree with the poster who said if you stay away from pirated apps, you'll be ok. All the others are variants of the computer apps that infect gmail, outlook, etc. They don't run on Android phones...yet. I'd run AVG, or Kaspersky if I ran one. Norton missed a nasty one on my laptop once that ate my boot sector.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about virii too much on Android since the A/V apps themselves don't have access to system files, so if those got infected the software wouldn't do any good. Waste of money IMO, almost entirely. Really what are the chances.... unless you're visiting strange sites... that's your biz.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
None! Although, I do use LBE privacy to limit apps.. I will never and have never ever got a virus on any device ever... I'm wise enough to not download everything/click on everything/use open wifi/etc/etc...

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Oh heck no. I hate AV on anything and don't use it on any of my gadgets. The best anti virus is one called "common sense" but I don't think it's in the Play Store.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Avast. While I'm not sure if there is any real benefit for an AV on a phone (because your brain would be the best defense anyhow), Avast has a bunch of nice features built in that the others don't have, it's light on resources and best of all.... It's Freeeeeeeeee!

I get free TrendMicro because I use it on my PC, but Avast just is lighter and the extra things they throw in (best location tracking for a phone that I've used, a firewall, etc.) with such a little footprint (doesn't impact my battery at all) that it uses makes it a no brainer.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
No anti-virus app on my S3 or my Nexus 7 or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1... My PC's are a different story but I don't see the point on Android phones. I buy all my apps legally from either the Play store or Amazon.

lesorkim

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all of you for the variety of opinions and considerations. Based on what I am hearing, I will probably go with no A/V until things get hairy out there. I'm only using legit apps, and usually only those that have high consumer usage. Further, I am not visiting high-risk internet sites.

Last edited:

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I always use an A/V (Kaspersky) on my PC, even though I use common sense. Still got infected one time when I just was not paying attention. So no matter how hard you try, we're all human!! Now, for the Mobile, I've not used one yet, but when I decide to, I'll go with Kaspersky. Like so many others, Norton, as well as McAfee is just resource hogs and when Norton missed a virus on one of the work laptops I used to manage, that was it for me! Switched us to Kaspersky and I've never looked back!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I always use an A/V (Kaspersky) on my PC, even though I use common sense. Still got infected one time when I just was not paying attention. So no matter how hard you try, we're all human!! Now, for the Mobile, I've not used one yet, but when I decide to, I'll go with Kaspersky. Like so many others, Norton, as well as McAfee is just resource hogs and when Norton missed a virus on one of the work laptops I used to manage, that was it for me! Switched us to Kaspersky and I've never looked back!

I have been using Kaspersky on my computer for years now due to the fact McAfee> Norton both failed me .I have never had a problem since using Kaspersky on my pc.(actually used to be on their website to help others)

However I not really sure how good their mobile product is yet .I use Lookout Premium not for viruis protection or really for malware,but for the other features it offers.I just pay on a month to month rate that gives me the flexablity to discontinue easier if I decide to. I usually have the security scan turned off,for grins sometimes I run a scan.:)

rlatjs17

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I personally use Avast. It has great features for when you lose your phone while protecting your phone and doesn't suck up your battery. Lookout is also another good option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze