Galaxy S3: WiFi Issues

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello all!

Not sure if this has been posted but I figured I would put up a new post. I am showing that I am connected to my home WiFi but I am not able to actually use it. For instance, I cannot open links or watch YouTube videos. I believe it is the router because I just had a Droid RAZR and my connections to the Internet were not dependable. Currently, I am using AT&T's 2Wire 2701HG-B Gateway router.

Are there any settings that should be adjusted within the router? Encryption type is WPA-PSK. Wireless mode is 802.11g/b.

I just got my S3 yesterday which knocked me off of my old unlimited data plan. Now I have 12GB and I'm already at 10. Which btw, I have no idea why I use so much data. I do have twitter apps and I do watch videos on YouTube but it just seems like it shouldn't be so much. Anywho, I need to get the WiFi working because I have 15 days left in my cycle and I do not want to go over.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 WiFi Issues

FWIW, it is possible to have a connection between your phone and the router and at the same time not have a connection to the Internet: that just means that there's something wrong with your Internet connection. As the previous poster suggested, start by turning the router off, wait a minute or so and then turn it back on. Once it finishes its normal power-on cycle try again.
You don't mention if you have any other devices that you can verify the Internet connection with - that would help in troubleshooting.
Have you checked to be sure the router has the latest firmware?
Have you tried using a WiFi connection somewhere else with your phone (Starbuck's, McDonalds, etc.)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

Start by resetting the gateway.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Thanks for your suggestion! If you mean taking a needle and pushing the button in the back, I've done that. I've also left it unplugged for 5 minutes. I've unplugged it about 4 times and did the needle thing twice. If there is another way to reset it, please let me know.

---------- Post Merged at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:14 AM ----------

FWIW, it is possible to have a connection between your phone and the router and at the same time not have a connection to the Internet: that just means that there's something wrong with your Internet connection. As the previous poster suggested, start by turning the router off, wait a minute or so and then turn it back on. Once it finishes its normal power-on cycle try again.
You don't mention if you have any other devices that you can verify the Internet connection with - that would help in troubleshooting.
Have you checked to be sure the router has the latest firmware?
Have you tried using a WiFi connection somewhere else with your phone (Starbuck's, McDonalds, etc.)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

I am actually using my iPad, my laptop and someone else is using a laptop. All are working fine connecting to the WiFi. I went to look at the settings from within my browser and it says it has the latest firmwire. I have not checked WiFi connection anywhere else. I just got the phone yesterday and today is my first day using it. I have not left to check it yet.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Can you connect to someone else's wifi to verify phone wifi is working?

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

sometimes you can connect to a network with limited access which means you will show up as connected to the router but you will not be able to access the internet. My friend even has his set up where I have to register my phone's mac address with his router before I can do anything. I would try connected your phone to wifi and then opening up your router settings (usually by typing in 192.168.1.1 in your browser) and see if your phone is coming up as a connected device or something along those lines.

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Sometimes devices just dont like wpa but i doubt thats the case in this senerio... your router might not be the problem it might be your internet itself

Vagrant_1

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

I been having WiFi issues myself. All my other devices are fine on my network. My GSIII says connected but won't run or connect any app that requires the use of the web. I usually have to turn WiFi off and on and that doesn't work all the time. Don't get me started on my actual radio signal lol.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

This is what finally worked after two weeks of researching! Found this here for the toshiba thrive but it worked for mr! Thrive will not connect to AT&T 2WIRE router

I tried this part but all of my settings were already set to match this....including it because it was part of the process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by shakefry
My little sister received a cool Toshiba Thrive for Christmas but the thing will not connect to the proprietary router we have. The router isn't the problem because I've been able to connect a Macbook, 2 PCs, a 3DS and a smartphone to it and they all work as needed. When we put in the password for the connection it saying it is 'scanning' and 'connecting' then disconnects and starts going into a scanning loop saying is scanning then stopping then starting again.

I found a similar topic about this but the thread did not answer my question. I followed all of the steps of given solutions to no avail. And the constant suggestion to set the beacon or preamble differently is highly frustrating because the model router I have does not have such settings (I have gone through all the menus about ten times, literally).

I have also heard that the connection security could be a factor but I am not willing to downgrade my WPA 2 (TKIP & AES) to a WPA 1 or WEP, unless its absolutely necessary. I've been googling for hours so I need a solution or unfortunately we will have to return it for a more compatible device, which would suck because we got this for a good price (new).

Our router is a 2WIRE 3800 hgv-b (we have AT&T Uverse, idk if I should specify anything else)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi shakefry - Nice to meet you. You are 100 percent right you should not lower your security - WPA2 is the strongest and it does work fine with Thrive. That is what I use.

For some reason the ATT 2-wire routers are the most frustrating, but that is not a problem. We just might have to try a few different things, instead of getting it to connect the first time, so stay with me, OK? big brothers always have to help their little sisters...

----

1. You do not have MAC Filtering enabled,do you? If you do add the Thrive's MAC to the Router's list of permitted devices. Then try connecting.....

2. Not using MAC Filtering, or you added the thrive and still can not connect ......

OK, First ... Lets get the info your Windows Laptop has about your router when it connects
successfully to the 3800HG-B Router via wifi:

On your (Win7?) PC that is successfully connected by wifi to the same network, lets get some wifi settings. Vista - pretty much the same screens, XP a little different looking.

Click on the wifi signal lower right taskbar, open network and sharing center.

click on right side in blue, your network name

Pop up window - click on Details
the detail window opens ...

IPv4 Subnet Mask should be 255.255.255.0, if not we need to change it in the router settings.
This would prevent you from getting to the internet, but with all devices not just thrive.

Copy down IPv4 Default Gateway, and both IPv4 Servers
(Most routers will not need the actual IPv4 addresses in the devices DNS1 and DNS2, but yours might)

Now (no picture) close the DETAILS window and click on WIRELESS PROPERTIES. click on SECURITY tab, then click on SHOW PASSWORD. DO NOT CHANGE THIS FIELD, YOUR PC WILL DISCONNECT. WHAT YOU SEE IN THIS FIELD IS THE CORRECT PASSWORD TO YOUR NETWORK.

(I just want to be 100 percent sure - this is the password you need to log the thrive on. You are pretty sharp with all this stuff, so you know it is case sensitive, don't mistake a "zero" for the cap letter O, etc.

We will try using these when we set Thrive's wifi settings for your network.

(Go to link to find the screenshot)

Now please check the following router summary page by logging on to your router.
Make sure, on the right side it, shows enough DHCP Available, and on that the router
address is still 192.168.1.254

And on the left, the page is exactly the same as below, none of the blank fields are filled in, right?
And the top button is still selected ..... 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 (default)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS IS WHERE THE ACTUAL FIX CAME IN

Originally Posted by shakefry
"Would it possibly help if i DID enable filtering? then I could just put in all the device's MAC addresses and maybe it'll be more focused or something?"

No filtering wont "pull in" the devices, through the front door of the router. Filtering will just turn them around and kick them out again if they are not on the "invited to the party" List.

"edit: I just found a similar page, the design is slightly different. The router/gateway address is one number above my DHCP range and it says I have 178 available and there are 12 allocated (weird because we only have 10 devices connected to this thing that I know of)
OK so you have plenty of available IP addresses (DHCP). It is normal to see a couple more than the number of devices you have."

So now you have the info you need to connect the thrive (maybe):

1-Hold the Thrive in portrait mode so the keyboard does not hide the settings

2- Go to Settings >> Wireless and Networks >> Wi-Fi settings >> tap your network name, Tap FORGET

Now when your network name shows up again under wifi settings ....

select WPA2
Enter password, it is case sensitive.

3- tap the triangle where it says DHCP, select "static"

enter 192.168.1.173. (a nice odd numbered unused ip, away from the auto assigned ones).
(You are making it an odd number (173) because if you buy, in the future, something like a network drive, or AppleTV, it will probably come with a nice "multiple of five" static number like 150 or 155 or 35

the "CONNECT" is greyed out .... right?

4- enter routers gateway 192.168.1.254
enter prefix 24
enter dns1 192.168.1.254

5- the"CONNECT" brightened up again? Tap CONNECT.
....... OR ..........
CONNECT is still greyed out? Enter DNS2 192.168.1.254, tap CONNECT

ARE YOU CONNECTED???

If NO
1- update the router's firmware - try connecting again
2- We will give up on the 3800 and add your second router, with different sets of DHCP ranges, and broadcasting on a non-conflicting channels to the 3800's channel ( channels 1, 6, and 11 do not conflict with each other - assign one router to channel one and the other to channel 11, and keep them a couple of feet away from each other.

shakefry, Please Let us know how it goes, which solution worked ... so other forum readers can help their little sisters too ....

we are standing by (actually in my comfy recliner waiting ..)

Thanks, bobj
aka Bojo, or Obi-Wan, or RouterRooter

I was able to connect to wifi consistently and access the Internet and YouTube app successfully. Hope this helps someone else!!!

Source: Thrive will not connect to AT&T 2WIRE router

cydsly23

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I just got my galaxy s3. I have the exact same problem. I can connect to the wifi then after some time it will show Im still connected however i cant access internet. Ill have to turn wifi off then on to be reconnected again to the wifi. Or turn flight mode off then on to reconnect to the wifi

I tried the last item posted here it doesn't work still. Can someone help me...

asfg812

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Fix Re: Galaxy S3 WiFi Issues

I fixed mine and my son's FINALLY!. I'd changed everything, followed all of the advice and it still wouldn't put me through to the internet either. Showed a connection, but not throughput.
Even went so far as to try a different router and upgraded to an ASUS RT 66U thinking a latest version might make a difference. NO GO. Was about to take the phone back when I downloaded a free app called "WiFi Manager" from Google Play. It IMMEDIATELY read the network and logged on correctly.

I don't understand what it did that I couldn't do by tweaking my settings, but it works like a charm. I've been using it for 3 weeks now and haven't failed to get back on (barring the occasional 'wake-up my phone from sleep' and need to disconnect / reconnect to get a fresh IP address). My son is a doctoral level nanotechnology kid, and between the two of us we failed to fix it any other way. Now both S3's are happily connected wherever we go.

:D

Here's the Google Play Store link to the free app. Hope it helps! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kman.WifiManager

PS. I did every potential step and trouble-shooting step reported in this thread and others. Could connect in bars and restaurants, but NEVER at home (with fast 50 MB internet cable). Son could connect at Purdue and most everywhere too. Was totally perplexed and exasperated. Better now though.

Last edited:

billsfan2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

Also w AT&T and had trouble staying connected for weeks. Finally a guy w AT&T was helpful. Lowered route security setting on or two levels and use ch. 11. Did something else too but can't find my notes. Works like a charm now.

rustyboy#AC

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Fix Re: Galaxy S3 WiFi Issues

This little app worked for me too. S3 would work on my network fairly well, but youtube would not work no matter which browser/app/etc. I tried. Now seamless. Thanks!

simon1013

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site

I think i found the solution to the wifi problems on the SIII. I had similar problems with the Wifi where at first it connected and dropped the signal, this was fixed by the update to 4.1.2 but after that i had the connection but no internet access in my mobile. The first thing i tried was the *#0011# code and then switching power saving mode to off, this did not fix the problem

after that I started using various other devices in my house to identify the problem (sending ping commands to my Ipad and other wireless devices) this worked well with all except the SIII.
I used the following steps to fix the problem
1) forget the network on the mobile device
2) enter the computer command prompt by opening start and in the run box typing cmd.exe
3)connect to the wifi on your mobile as you usually would typing in the password
5) Hold finger on the preferred network and choose "modify network config"
6)within this setting choose show advanced options
7) in the cmd prompt opened earlier type ipconfig/all
8) this will show your network settings and can be used to configure the phone
9) within the cmd prompt look for the IPv4 address mine was set to 1.1.1.255
10) switch the IP option on the phone to static and enter a IP address that is of the same order eg. mine would be 1.1.1.251
11) the CMD prompt will give you the default gateway. enter this into the phone under gateway
12) leave the network prefix the default 24
13) within the cmd prompt look for the DNS server and enter it under DNS 1, mine was 1.1.1.1
14) under the DNS 2 option enter 8.8.8.8 and then save the configurations

This should work immediately if all the other options did not work, to thus far it was the only solutoin i have used that has worked and I have been trying a lot to get this to work.

:)

Dobrah

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

Thx ... I had the same problem and follwed exactly what you advised ... and everything is back to normal ... ;)

ryannelson21

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

simon1013 you are the man. I have been looking for the solution to this for a week. The only correction is that for me typing in cmd.exe didnt pull up that info, i had to enter 'ipconfig' in the command prompt to get those details. the final details about dns1 and 2 were not there, but i copied yours and it worked (1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8) THANKS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech