Gorilla Glass just a bunch of hype?

Zero Hunter

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Like the topic title says.... Some friends of mine have the S2 and we were talking about all the hype about the gorilla glass.

The 2 guys I know that got the gorilla glass panels all have hair line scratches with them several days after getting the phone. It's really hard to notice and you kinda have to look at it closely at an angle, but there's no denying it's there.

I don't want it to happen to my phone. Should i invest in a cover? Just want to know what the overall consenus here is.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Put a screen protector on it. It certainly can't hurt and may save you going through what your friends have experienced.

It's usually too late once it gets scratched.

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I've read that exact same thing in many forums,about the hair line cracks. I asked it in here but nobody seemed to have them.Scary to read when your just about to buy the GS3.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Its ok. I've scratched Gorilla Glass with sand, the zipper on my pocket put a nice gash in the screen. Its not indestructible and your just be better off with a screen protector for the security of another line of protection. Just yesterday i had a beer bottle cap in my pocket and that got my screen protector. If i didnt have one on then it would of been my stock screen.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Considering that I never kept a screen protector on any device that I've owned that had Gorilla Glass and they're all scratch free (especially my Epic 4G, it looks almost new after 2 years of going in and out of my pocket case free), I can say that it def adds some protection. I'm sure if you keep the phone in your pocket and sit on it, it'll crack but same goes for almost any phone.

jahoobob

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've owned a DroidX, a Droid Razr, and now an S3 and have always carried them in my pants pocket. I've never had any of these GG screens crack or scratch and I have dropped the X and the Razr to the floor.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
This is the 4th device I've owned with GG, and I haven't had any issues with scratches on my S3 [knocks on wood], nor with any of my other devices. I keep my phone in a case most of the time, but I hate screen protectors and never use them.

My last phone, an HTC Thunderbolt, I had 18 for months and except for 1 VERY tiny scratch that you had to really look for with the light just a certain way the screen was spotless. (Yes, that scratch did bug me a bit when I did notice it, but it really was nothing). I carry the phone around normally in my pants pocket, but I do make sure to never carry keys or change or anything like that in the same pocket.

All the other phones I owned prior, i.e. blackberries, would be scratched to all hell by the time I got rid of them. Gorilla Glass may not be indestructible, but it certainly holds up pretty well and seems pretty scratch-resistant in my experience.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
This is the 4th device I've owned with GG, and I haven't had any issues with scratches on my S3 [knocks on wood], nor with any of my other devices. I keep my phone in a case most of the time, but I hate screen protectors and never use them.

What's wrong with screen protectors? If you put in on right, it's feels like there's nothing there at all. (Insert image of Flander's reference).

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Dedicate a pocket for the phone without keys, coins or beer bottle caps (seriously?) and your phone won't get scratched. My S2 is unscratched, and so was my Evo.

ggcrnahondaF1

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I put mine in a holster case, no screen protector. If you stuff it in a pants pocket
Without a protector you're asking for scratches.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Dedicate a pocket for the phone without keys, coins or beer bottle caps (seriously?) and your phone won't get scratched. My S2 is unscratched, and so was my Evo.

Found the beer caps funny lol.
Usuing otterbox defender glacier color on my white s3 w/ a nice zagg hd screen protector:)

Sent from my S3:)

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
the only time I cracked gorilla glass was when it fell off my seat and smashed concrete about a 4 foot drop and it landed on a rock had a dent in the screen but still functional and no hair line fractures just a dent and the se one time was when I was welding and had my phone playing music and the an ember went into my pants pocket and senved it a bit god that Xperia was tuff

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
What's wrong with screen protectors? If you put in on right, it's feels like there's nothing there at all.
They feel like there is a layer of plastic on the glass and you lose some sensitivity but they do give some extra piece of mind especially when you use a skin tight micro case.

I put mine in a holster case, no screen protector. If you stuff it in a pants pocket
Without a protector you're asking for scratches.

Unless you work construction, maintenance, or some type of job that requires you climbing on the floor, ladders, under desks... phones in holsters just aren't very cool. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a holstered phone in my office or around town.

Screen protectors will help against scratches, but not any cracks formed through force of any kind.

The Zagg Extreme Shield protects against hammer hits - so they say.

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
It's cheap insurance. I use a Otterbox Defender, it comes with a built it screen protector. It is a little bulky but protects my Atrix 2 nicely.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The new Zagg screen protector is supposed to be amazing. I have the Zagg HD screen protector and it works well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I really never got why people baby their phones and buy huge cases that double the thickness/weight of the phone.. I've treated every phone that you see in my sig the same exact way... It usually goes in my pocket along with whatever other crap happens to be already in there. I've never broke or damaged a phone ever.. I've even fell asleep with it in a pocket.. I find that the more you think about protecting stuff the more likely you will damage it..

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I really never got why people baby their phones and buy huge cases that double the thickness/weight of the phone.. I've treated every phone that you see in my sig the same exact way... It usually goes in my pocket along with whatever other crap happens to be already in there. I've never broke or damaged a phone ever.. I've even fell asleep with it in a pocket.. I find that the more you think about protecting stuff the more likely you will damage it..

It's funny because companies go out of their way to advertise weight and size and then you throw that all to helll..but people are clumsy. I don't drop it all the time, but I like to be able to not have to treat it like a delicate flower so I use one of those silicone soft cases (looks like a gameboy) to protect it from soft impacts.

I tried two screen protectors, and it might just be that I suck at applying them, but even when I got it on looking okay little bubbles or dots appear, plus it seems to collect dust/fingerprints/sun way more than without so I just gave up on it. I don't see any scratches as of yet.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I really never got why people baby their phones and buy huge cases that double the thickness/weight of the phone..

For me it isn't so much just protection, as it is fitting my hand. I really don't like a thin phone. It doesn't feel comfortable and the typical slick surfaces feel like they will, and HAVE, slipped out of my hand easily. I put a textured case on mainly because I like the textured feel, the extra grip, and even a touch more thickness.
Plus the case I am using has a built in stand, which is VERY handy.

Occasionally if I carry it in my pocket (I normally use a belt holder), I remove the case for the thinness. A thin phone gives you the option of going thin or adding a case for more grip. More options are good.

On the screen protectors, I always use one. In fact, just last month I was at a hotel on the coast. I put the plastic room key/card in the pocket with my S3. A few minutes later when I pulled out the S3, there was a hole being ground through the plastic by some sand that was on that card. It may not have damaged the original glass, but don't want to do that test to find out.