Home WiFi Network Disabled

kaio

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have an issue where my home WiFi networks show "Disabled" and won't automatically connect when I come in range. Long pressing the network and selecting "Connect" connects immediately. "Keep WiFi on during sleep" setting is set to "Always" and "WiFi Power Save Mode" from the "Service Mode" menu is turned "Off".

Public Wifi networks such as McDonald's Wayport or Optimum Hotspot do not have this problem. Whenever I come in range of one of them, the phone connects automatically without any manual intervention.

What does "Disabled" mean in terms of a WiFi access points?
Has anyone had a similar problem?
What else can I check to see what is causing this?

Screenshot_2012-10-13-19-02-55.png

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I recently had the same or similar issue. Even when I tried to connect manually it would tell me that my home wifi was out of range. If I turned wifi off and on it connected automatically. I found that a setting had changed, the setting to keep wifi awake during phone sleep had been changed to off. I put it back and it's working again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I hate to say it it mite be a kernel issue so until Samsung fixes it no dice unless your gonna root it then idk that's up to you

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

kaio

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I've got the following:

Baseband:
I535VRLG7

Kernel:
3.0.8-993945-user
se.infra@SEP-90 #1

The VRALHE update makes no mention of changes to the radio so I doubt that will help. I'm rooted and I've swapped kernels before. But so far those always seem to break something else.

For those that have seen the same issue, what baseband/kernel are you running?

unlmtdRW

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I know this will seem a simplistic post that some may rail at, but all troubleshooting is process of elimination.
In general.... If something has been working fine and now suddenly it doesn't, you have to ask yourself "what has changed?" Did you install some new app on your phone that may be conflicting? Have you modified your wireless router settings? Have you updated the OS or "changed a setting or two while tweaking this or that"? Try narrow it down to the cause and address it. Sometimes a simple reboot (of router and/or phone) _does_ flush out caches and "fixes" issues.
"Disabled" status on a network connection/profile typically means something is blocking (for lack of a better word) the connection. Parts of the connection info being passed are okay, but not all.
I've often seen that simply changing the encryption method for your network via the router's admin panel (from AES to TPIK or vice versa, or setting to "auto") will address issues. If your router is set to filter on MAC addresses, make sure your phone's address is in the list.;)
Often people will swear up, down and sideways, 'til they are blue in the face, that they typed their wi-fi network's password correctly when setting up the network on their phone, but when they use the "show password" option they will see a character or two typed wrong. :-[

Robbyboii

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
i tried everything as you all have from checking router, leads, settings etc, finally found one thing that made my wi fi disabled was password which was case sensitive just double check i didnt think it would make difference but it did. hope it helps

Robert Hackenberg

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem too. It started when I got a new modem router, an Asus N12U B1. I think it may have something to do with the security settings in the router but I am not going to change them. My phone is a LG p350. I have tried all the wifi stay awake apps but none of them work.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
My guess is that you have the SSID Broadcast setting on your router turned off. That means your router is (more or less) invisible to WiFi devices. If this is the case, simply turning WiFi off and back on should enable your phone to connect, as will (usually) long pressing and choosing connect.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have this problem too. It started when I got a new modem router, an Asus N12U B1. I think it may have something to do with the security settings in the router but I am not going to change them. My phone is a LG p350. I have tried all the wifi stay awake apps but none of them work.

My guess is that you have the SSID Broadcast setting on your router turned off. That means your router is (more or less) invisible to WiFi devices. If this is the case, simply turning WiFi off and back on should enable your phone to connect, as will (usually) long pressing and choosing connect.

If that's not the case, and you're not sure what could be causing it, you may want to check and see if there is a firmware update available for your router.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

If that's not the case, and you're not sure what could be causing it, you may want to check and see if there is a firmware update available for your router.

Or try rebooting your router. A reboot is the magic elixir for all kinds of electronic devices. :)

Oh, yeah, I supposed I just assumed that!

I remember back when I had my Thunderbolt, a bunch of folks over there had similar problems, and the eventual solution turned out to be upgrading the router firmware. IIRC, it was a certain model of Linksys was causing issues, but still, never hurts to check!

quarter2five

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I just started having the same problem connecting to my home router and the problem is the phone since my Nexus 7 connects with no problems. Is there a fix out there?

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
quarter2five,
Which "the same problem" are you having?
Does your phone not even see the router? Does it see the router but not connect?
Does it connect/drop/reconnect?
Does it work correctly with any other routers (public WiFi, etc.)?

You're going to have to provide more information if you'd like some help.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

romiust

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I just started having the same problem connecting to my home router and the problem is the phone since my Nexus 7 connects with no problems. Is there a fix out there?

Strange, I can never get my Nexus 7 to connect to anything. Lol

slandango

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem with my Zopo ZP980
My home wifi gets recognized but always shows as "disabled".
When I select it and choose "connect" it connects without problems.
Thus it cannot be the router nor the password as the router doesn't know if I did a manual connection or if the phone did it automatically.
I suspect that the automatic connection needs some delay between actions or the like.
Strange is that it used to work the first couple of days after I got my phone.
At work I have another password protected wifi which still connects without manual intervention so it is not consistent between networks.

It may have to do something with an app which I have installed along the way but it can be very cumbersome to drill it down.
Also the app theory doesn't explain why there is no problem with my work wifi.
Possibly there is some file on the phone which influences the auto-connect behavior but I have no clue where to search for it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173