How to use my s3 like a desktop

briandearing

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm brainstorming ideas on how to work this out. Things I'm looking to confirm:

With the new 11 pin MHL adapter, is it possible to connect to a monitor and use the OTG functions?
(use a flash/external drive AND output to a separate monitor...Ive seen people say that you can and can't)

and

Has anyone tried hooking up a USB monitor as an output device?

I want to be able to just plug in my phone at my desk and use it for browsing and e-mails and such.

Thanks!

unlmtdRW

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that theoretically it may be possible if your monitor has HDMI in port.
It certainly is possible to use these adapter cables with other devices as posted here http://shimworld.wordpress.com/2012...mory-card-reader-to-the-samsung-galaxy-s-iii/.

I haven't located a cable for myself yet but plan to experiment at least with USB flash drives.

EDIT: Hmmm ... I wonder if it?s possible to use serial adapters (male to female to male) to connect your S3 to a port replicator that would then be connected to all your peripherals (monitor, keyboard, etc)?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

briandearing

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I've seen people use the OTG cable hooked to a power hub and everything work. Never thought of going through a port replicator. That's an interesting approach. Like I mentioned, I've heard that the reason Samsung went to the 11 pin is so you could do MHL AND OTG at the same time. What i'm thinking is a powered usb hub for peripherals and running the MHL to monitor (and HDMI to X adapter if needed). Also, I'm really interested in finding out how an USB monitor would work or if it would!

dandygeek

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the $2 USB OTG adapters and the work fine with jump drives. But even with a usb hub you couldn't use the mhl adapter for hdmi video anymore. Need and extra port on the phone to do both. Would be cool if there was a hub with multiple mhl ports, then we could have our GS3's as desktops

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you have a razr maxx, you can do it easily with the lapdock or premium hd dock. This is one of the reasons why am using my razr maxx over my gs3. I would be interested as well if there was an easy way to set up the gs3 for hdmi out and usb host.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

briandearing

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, as I mentioned before, the new 11 pin MLH is suppose to be able to do both at the same time. I haven't seen how the setup works though. From what it sounds like, you can hook the USB OTG on the hub side, and the MLH to the phone I havent actually seen how the OTG and th MLH port hook up.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There has been discussion, and pretty much, mhl won't work with usb host. I have also read that it was supposed to work, but no one has been able to do so.

Well, as I mentioned before, the new 11 pin MLH is suppose to be able to do both at the same time. I haven't seen how the setup works though. From what it sounds like, you can hook the USB OTG on the hub side, and the MLH to the phone I havent actually seen how the OTG and th MLH port hook up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol