Can't download a picture from a text message.

twilite2000

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Friend sent me a txt message with a picture attachment. I hit download and "downloading" appears and never changes. Just keeps sitting on downloading. Had friend send it again and the same thing happened. I know she has a sammy phone as well which is about a year old don't know what kind of sammy phone.When I look to see how she did it looks like how I would send txt with picture on my SG3. Anybody out there who could help. It's a pic of a puppy I want to get my 10 yr old son for x-mas. Have to show hubby first:)

jonblaze

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If your just going to show him the pic, just click it so it enlarges on your phone, if you want to send it to him you could always just forward the text message. Does saving the pic as an attachment not work? That's how I do it on my SG3.
Not really sure what the advantage would be to actually download the pic if you're just going to show it to someone.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
twilite2000,
It sounds like you're describing the behaviour that occurs when you have an MMS pending but you're currently using a WiFi connection - you have to have a mobile data connection in order to get that download to progress.
You can leave both mobile data and WiFi enabled if you like and it will just default to using WiFi unless something like an MMS comes in - if that happens, you'll briefly see both the WiFi icon and the 4G icon show up in the Notification bar.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
twilite2000,
It sounds like you're describing the behaviour that occurs when you have an MMS pending but you're currently using a WiFi connection - you have to have a mobile data connection in order to get that download to progress.
You just made me remember something!!

Settings>>>More settings(under 'wireless and network')>>>Scroll to bottom and click Mobile networks>>> Make sure use packet data is checked
I had to do this once because it became unchecked somehow...

Clendi

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Just restart the phone bro and re click on the download button on the text.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem...I realized it was happening when my mobile data was turned off

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

twilite2000

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks that was exactly my problem. All is well now.

twilite2000,
You can leave both mobile data and WiFi enabled if you like and it will just default to using WiFi unless something like an MMS comes in - if that happens, you'll briefly see both the WiFi icon and the 4G icon show up in the Notification bar.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

bummed99

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So sorry. I am still experiencing this problem and I have tried all the suggestions. I do have an unlimited data plan. On a Nexus S 4G, android 4.1.1. This has just started happening. The text message details are type:multimedia message notification, expires 2:16 dec 29, subject:new message, message class:personal, message size 453kb. I wonder if it is some of the changes they have pushed down and broken this. thank you for any help.

bummed99

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So I talked to Sprint and they say this is a Google issue. If you have 4G turned on this is a problem. Can someone from Google confirm this ?

Debberz

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I hate to barge in here but you said you click on the picture and it enlarges on your galaxy S3. I have a galaxy S3 and if I click on the pic in the sms it doesnt enlarge. I had to download handcent or go sms pro to get that part to work. Is there some setting I can change to make that part work on my cell without downloading handcent or go sms?
Thank You
Debbie

danno17314

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
I click on pic,(sms) then the menu button.check the box for saves attachments....then it saves in your gallery app under "downloads"
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Settings>>>More settings(under 'wireless and network')>>>Scroll to bottom and click Mobile networks>>> Make sure use packet data is checked

My neice recently got the S3 and she was having problems downloading picture or mms texts. I sent your instructions to her. She said she did not see packet data but mobile data, so she checked that off and now all her messages are downloading. Thank you!!

Yuri Chan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, this is my first smartphone, so I have some questions. I bought the phone, but I don't have internet on my plan, so I turned off all of the mobile networks so I wouldn't be charged. I just use Wifi. So when I use "Data enable" am I being charged for downloading these MMS even though I have unlimited text?

jeb62

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. From the text message with the pic, hold your finger on the pic and you will get a menu asking what do you want to do? Select save. This worked for me :):cool:

Lydia717

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

Thank you!
I have been fighting with my phone FOREVER now. I have tried everything BUT wiping the whole system. This worked immediately.

Purplechic13

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
@twilite2000
Thank u!! That worked!! I just got my Galaxy S3 about a month ago & have had several picture texts that I couldn't open!! I guess I only tried opening them when I was using WiFi...once I connected w/mobile data I was able to open them!! THANKS for ur help!! These forums are very helpful..at times they are not thou lol!!

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Simple solution: Regardless of SMS APP, normally just "long-pressing" photo will bring up menu that gives you the option to save photo on your phone.
Hope this solves your problem.

chaithough

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
am using sony experia go when i try to send text message to states it wont get through? and when he text me back i cant view picture that he send but when i call the number it works but have problem with text messages...can you help me ,thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad