Hate to admit this....

terminalnonchalance

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Been avoiding new Samsung devices for a while.... My gsm nexus is a beast and I felt nothing Sammy could do would best it.

Moved to an HTC one x for a spell. Wonderful machine... Fast, sturdy, delightful screen... But something was always off about it.

So I traded in for an iphone 5. What a wonder. God damn blazing fast. Screen to die for, stable as the Rock of Gibraltar. But, alas ios got boring in a hurry.

Arrived at the Verizon store with a coworker to get him a new phone. Being the telco manager at work I am privileged to play with a lot of devices. That said.. I picked up the S3 for the first time while he checked out Motorola phones.

Surprisingly this was a hefty phone. The screen was marginally better than my nexus, but it was bigger and much love sensitive. Admittedly I am way late to the S3 game. The interface although touchwiz is quick, accurate and less appalling than previous iterations. Well played Samsung, my first impression was very good. Going back to daily driving the iphone was very tiresome....

Needless to say... I traded the iphone in and could not be happier. Just waiting a few more days to root and rom. What a beast this is...

Thanks for the great forum and useful INFO!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

terminalnonchalance

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Welcome aboard!!!!

***Nice testimonial

Thanks... Hope that did not come off too cheesy... I really am impressed with this behemoth.

Scared to do rom though.... Not sure if I want to mess with it and just wait for JB... Itching for pure Google though and I feel this phone will do well with it.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks... Hope that did not come off too cheesy... I really am impressed with this behemoth.

Scared to do rom though.... Not sure if I want to mess with it and just wait for JB... Itching for pure Google though and I feel this phone will do well with it.

Don't worry, it was cheesy lol. But, it's always nice to see someone enjoying their phone. I love the S3 as well. And to be honest, even though I rooted my Droid 4 when I had it, I have no desire to root my S3. It just seems perfect the way it is. But, good luck if you do decide to root and rom :D

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Whether you Root and Rom or wait for JB (Which I think will be a longer wait than many here think) just make sure to read, read, read, and then re-read before R & R. If you do your research you should be fine.

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Been avoiding new Samsung devices for a while.... My gsm nexus is a beast and I felt nothing Sammy could do would best it.

Moved to an HTC one x for a spell. Wonderful machine... Fast, sturdy, delightful screen... But something was always off about it.

So I traded in for an iphone 5. What a wonder. God damn blazing fast. Screen to die for, stable as the Rock of Gibraltar. But, alas ios got boring in a hurry.

Arrived at the Verizon store with a coworker to get him a new phone. Being the telco manager at work I am privileged to play with a lot of devices. That said.. I picked up the S3 for the first time while he checked out Motorola phones.

Surprisingly this was a hefty phone. The screen was marginally better than my nexus, but it was bigger and much love sensitive. Admittedly I am way late to the S3 game. The interface although touchwiz is quick, accurate and less appalling than previous iterations. Well played Samsung, my first impression was very good. Going back to daily driving the iphone was very tiresome....

Needless to say... I traded the iphone in and could not be happier. Just waiting a few more days to root and rom. What a beast this is...

Thanks for the great forum and useful INFO!

I recommend rooting and romming....best decision I've ever made. However like the guy said do your fair share of reading and get confident unless of course you have done this stuff before.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I rooted right away just to install some apps that I like (amazingly overly simple to root). I find that I like some of the Touchwiz capabilities like swiping left/right to message/call a contact..

terminalnonchalance

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My main concern with R&R is that once i start I cannot stop... Finally settled on AOKP for my Nexus... The S3 is a pretty beastly phone as is... not sure ho much better it could be with some tweaks. I have read profusely here and over at XDA... Only time will tell.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Luckily I like the touchwiz features a bit too much to stray too far from stock'ish or I would be the same way. On previous phones I rotated from stock'ish to full rom almost every week.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was using Nova prime launcher after the first couple of days of having this phone.
I read about rooting thoroughly
Then I rooted this phone not long after having it about a week.
I found a list of bloatware to freeze
I froze a bunch of the bloatware after that.
I read about backing up my IMEI thoroughly
I backed up my IMEI
I read about flashing for this phone thoroughly
When I found a Rom I though I would like I flashed it.
I read about unlocking the ,yes thoroughly(now there is an app in the play store for this)
I unlocked the boot manually since there wasnt an app when I did it.
As mentioned above "your friend is to read and understand" before you root ,unlock and rom.Its not hard to do but just need to understand it.
I always understand how to get back to stock just in case I need to before I ever modified the phone.

terminalnonchalance

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I was using Nova prime launcher after the first couple of days of having this phone.
I read about rooting thoroughly
Then I rooted this phone not long after having it about a week.
I found a list of bloatware to freeze
I froze a bunch of the bloatware after that.
I read about backing up my IMEI thoroughly
I backed up my IMEI
I read about flashing for this phone thoroughly
When I found a Rom I though I would like I flashed it.
I read about unlocking the ,yes thoroughly(now there is an app in the play store for this)
I unlocked the boot manually since there wasnt an app when I did it.
As mentioned above "your friend is to read and understand" before you root ,unlock and rom.Its not hard to do but just need to understand it.
I always understand how to get back to stock just in case I need to before I ever modified the phone.

Reading many of the things listed above, thanks for the concise list though!

How do you like Clean Rom, I was running it on my One X and I loved it... any issues you have run into?

thanks!

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
If you think its such a behemoth then get something smaller, wait for the s3 mini, or stick with the outdated iphone5. This phone has an inch larger screen then the iphone and weighs less then an ounce more.

terminalnonchalance

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
If you think its such a behemoth then get something smaller, wait for the s3 mini, or stick with the outdated iphone5. This phone has an inch larger screen then the iphone and weighs less then an ounce more.

I think maybe I could have been more clear in my statement... You are right.. it is only slightly heavier and the foot print is just a tad bigger in every direction. But if you have held both... Then you know what i am talking about. This thing Dwarfs the iphone5 and feels very substantial.. In no way is it a bad thing. I actually prefer the larger screen and perception of extra heft.....(i know it is in my mind)

truthfamilyfaith

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Straight true about reading up on everything. I've had an Iphone since 3gs and have been jail breaking every model since. So I got the s3 about two weeks ago and dove into rooting it. Sweet lord its not the same as jail breaking. I rooted fine than installed one frigging thing. Beats audio I believe and I bricked it. I'm back to stock again and am now super gunshy about rooting haha. On the upside I really can't believe how amazing this phone is. To think I was nervous about switching from ios to this. The rooting language is still alien to me but over time I'm sure I'll replace all apple knowledge with Android. Praise be to gs3

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Straight true about reading up on everything. I've had an Iphone since 3gs and have been jail breaking every model since. So I got the s3 about two weeks ago and dove into rooting it. Sweet lord its not the same as jail breaking. I rooted fine than installed one frigging thing. Beats audio I believe and I bricked it. I'm back to stock again and am now super gunshy about rooting haha. On the upside I really can't believe how amazing this phone is. To think I was nervous about switching from ios to this. The rooting language is still alien to me but over time I'm sure I'll replace all apple knowledge with Android. Praise be to gs3

That's great to hear. Glad you didn't run from android after the root issue.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech