there is a way to remove the constant wi-fi notification on the s3

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow *#6335623# doesn't work anymore....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

The updates must have removed this function. I had originally posted this on these forums and now it doesn't work for me either. The good part is even though the updates took away the function to change it, the updates didn't reverse what I already did, so I still don't get the pop ups.

msgnyc

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Can you nolonger just goto settings/wifi hit menu, select advanced and uncheck network notifications? Ive never seen any pop up wifi aside from the one when wifis on but not connected. Im on CM10 however.

Last edited:

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I believe the notifications it mentions are for notifying you of wifi networks in the area. If the OP is talking about the signal indicator on the notification bar, I believe the only way to remove it if stock is to turn off wifi.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

MrTK412

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
re: there is an answer to this problem

Ive been wondering for some time too how to get rid of the notif. It would never come up for me in the ice cream sandwich build of my s3, but I updated to jelly bean and I couldnt get it to go away.

What you have to do is hold down on the wifi notification and you will get a popup that says app info. Force disable it and the notification will be gone. Found this out today, finally no more wifi notification!! ;)

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: there is an answer to this problem

Ive been wondering for some time too how to get rid of the notif. It would never come up for me in the ice cream sandwich build of my s3, but I updated to jelly bean and I couldnt get it to go away.

What you have to do is hold down on the wifi notification and you will get a popup that says app info. Force disable it and the notification will be gone. Found this out today, finally no more wifi notification!! ;)

Until you turn it on ...but this works nontheless.

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

I believe the notifications it mentions are for notifying you of wifi networks in the area. If the OP is talking about the signal indicator on the notification bar, I believe the only way to remove it if stock is to turn off wifi.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

No, I'm talking about the ongoing notification in the pull down. When you pull it down it says what network you are connected to, if the wifi is off, it says "tap to turn on wifi"

When I do this, the app it pulls up is the Android System, wouldn't disabling that essentially stop my phone?

dreamwarrior1207

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hold on to the wifi notification and press app info. Once you get there press force stop. Then, you will have no wifi notification. To get this back, just reboot your phone.

hh72385

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! This worked for me

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

This works without root. Turn wifi off, pull down notification bar, and long press on "wifi off" an app info Window appears. Click on it, Then force close that android system process. Voil?, no notifications. It's simple easy and you can't hurt anything. Though it's only gone until you turn on wifi again, so make sure you in check the auto connect box in wifi settings.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

This works without root. Turn wifi off, pull down notification bar, and long press on "wifi off" an app info Window appears. Click on it, Then force close that android system process. Voil?, no notifications. It's simple easy and you can't hurt anything. Though it's only gone until you turn on wifi again, so make sure you in check the auto connect box in wifi settings.

Problem with this method is it stops other Android System processes thus you may not get other notifications. Also Android System controls so much of the phone processes you are really screwing other applications that feed off of the main app. Personally I can't stand the multiple "you are connected to xyz" nor do I like the wifi info in my pull down bar but I need Android System running correctly.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Problem with this method is it stops other Android System processes thus you may not get other notifications. Also Android System controls so much of the phone processes you are really screwing other applications that feed off of the main app. Personally I can't stand the multiple "you are connected to xyz" nor do I like the wifi info in my pull down bar but I need Android System running correctly.
I've been using this method for months and it doesn't effect ANYTHING else. It just stops the ongoing Wifi process. I get all my notifications just like normal, everything works just fine. I saw it on the dribbler app a few months ago and have been using it since with no complaints.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy S3 on 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

shansenwy

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Pull down the bar on the home screen and then long press the WiFi notification. It will say something like "About this App" and you can click on that and disable it.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
So after reading through the posts, there still isn't a way to permanently turn off this notification without rooting? Only had my phone a week and this is the 2nd annoying "problem" with it (other "problem is the pesky BU Assistant notification) :(

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So after reading through the posts, there still isn't a way to permanently turn off this notification without rooting? Only had my phone a week and this is the 2nd annoying "problem" with it (other "problem is the pesky BU Assistant notification) :(
Unfortunately no. Besides the long press method I detailed a few posts back there is no way to remove it short of flashing a custom rom. If things like that wifi notification and backup assistant bother you, then you are already a step removed from the general smart phone using populous and will only find more things like this that irritate you. You really should just root and get it over with. I know it's intimidating when you have never done it before but it really is very easy. It's mostly a matter of selecting a file and clicking flash.
All you need is a functioning Windows computer to root it in the first place, then after that you can download and flash Roms directly from your custom recovery and won't have to use a computer save to flash back to stock. And even then you might not have to. Zip flashable files are becoming more and more prevalent for the S3.
This guide right here: [GUIDE] Root for Jelly Bean 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 OTA ***UPDATED 3/5*** - xda-developers is what I used and haven't looked back since. I would HIGHLY recommend watching the DroidmodderX video that's linked in the thread as it has more detailed instructions. Even if you just root and use the stock Rom, you can still find stock roms that are debloated and have thing like Backup assistant and the wifi suggestion removed but everything else the same.
Once you do it you will wonder why you ever stayed stock. I just did it a couple months ago and am modifying my own roms and doing other stuff like that. You learn quick!
C'mon, join the ever increasing ranks of us Android modders!

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
C'mon, join the ever increasing ranks of us Android modders!

Whoa whoa, slow down fella lol. Before getting the GS3 i rooted my Tbolt. Basically, with that phone, you almost had to root it to enjoy it haha. I'm hoping that the GS3 will be different in that regard. I'm haven't quite reached that point. We'll see, it's only been a week. ;)

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Whoa whoa, slow down fella lol. Before getting the GS3 i rooted my Tbolt. Basically, with that phone, you almost had to root it to enjoy it haha. I'm hoping that the GS3 will be different in that regard. I'm haven't quite reached that point. We'll see, it's only been a week. ;)
Rooting the GS3 is nothing like rooting an HTC device. The S3 is a breeze compared to that. I remember my Droid incredible 2....phew,boy was that a nightmare to put a Rom on. Had to give away your warranty and S-off and all that nonsense... For the S3 on Jelly bean you just flash an insecure boot image, then custom recovery, and install SuperSU/Unlocked bootloader and your done. Sounds complicated but it's not.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Rooting the GS3 is nothing like rooting an HTC device. The S3 is a breeze compared to that. I remember my Droid incredible 2....phew,boy was that a nightmare to put a Rom on. Had to give away your warranty and S-off and all that nonsense... For the S3 on Jelly bean you just flash an insecure boot image, then custom recovery, and install SuperSU/Unlocked bootloader and your done. Sounds complicated but it's not.

Yes, like I said, I rooted my Tbolt which is harder than the GS3. Therefore, I'm not too worried about rooting the GS3 if/when the time comes. It doesn't sound complicated because I've rooted before. I don't think you're a bad person, but you speak in a condescending way. Try to read a post for what it is and not assume the other person is an ***** lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz