S3 or GNex (opinions)

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so obviously the hardware performance aspect of this goes to the S3. I know that, and I'm not looking to debate the hardware facts except for your opinions on a couple of those facts.

What I'm mainly looking at is the price difference, the fact that there will be no Nexus 4 on Verizon (not that I'm impressed with it enough to buy it anyways), the battery life and how much expandable batteries help without totally bulking the phone up, the camera quality, and the 16gb storage limit. I plan on rooting and doing all of the fun things that follow regardless of the choice, although I've heard you lose a lot of new exciting features on the S3 with custom ROMs (can anyone elaborate?).

First of all, the price. $49 vs $199. The price tag of the S3 is one that I CAN afford if that's the decision, but why spend $150 more than I have to if I end up liking the GNex also? I'm extremely happy with stock Android on my Nexus 7, and have never been a fan of TouchWiz while playing with any Samsung phone.

Now, I've been reading a lot of negativity about the Nexus being on Verizon. Slower-than-Google updates, oddities with LTE working properly, etc. Maybe not having the Nexus 4 on Verizon is a sign that it's just not a fit for the line of devices to be on this Network. How bad are the supposed issues that people are talking about with the phone on this network? How does the S3 work with LTE? Flawlessly as it should? Obviously updates haven't been huge yet for the S3, but it's still Samsung and they've also never been great with updates.

Next, the camera and lack of storage expansion on the Nexus. The camera, while only 5mp, was supposed to be very good for low-light settings (reported before the release, if I remember correctly), but nothing more than average otherwise. I will say right away that the camera (front-facing camera is irreverent) isn't make or break because I don't use it to capture species-ending historic moments, but I am curious of the quality people are seeing from it. How is the camera on the S3? Do those 3mp make a difference? I have a Thunderbolt now, and I'm pleased with the camera on that. As for the SD Card... I realize that Nexus devices are "supposed" to lack this, and it's completely normal for the storage not to be expandable. But I'm not a fan of the Cloud yet. I'm not convinced that relying on someone else to store my stuff is a reliable way of listening to music or watching videos, etc. I do have Google Music and that is an option (as opposed to putting 10gb of music physically on my phone), but I prefer for that to be a back up as opposed to my source of listening to music.

So I'm really just looking for all of your opinions on these things, as well as anything else you'd have to add. I have an upgrade available on Nov. 17th. Also, a little explanation of some of the new features on the S3 based on what you guys have been experiencing would be awesome.

Thanks!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Okay, so obviously the hardware performance aspect of this goes to the S3. I know that, and I'm not looking to debate the hardware facts except for your opinions on a couple of those facts.

What I'm mainly looking at is the price difference, the fact that there will be no Nexus 4 on Verizon (not that I'm impressed with it enough to buy it anyways), the battery life and how much expandable batteries help without totally bulking the phone up, the camera quality, and the 16gb storage limit. I plan on rooting and doing all of the fun things that follow regardless of the choice, although I've heard you lose a lot of new exciting features on the S3 with custom ROMs (can anyone elaborate?).

First of all, the price. $49 vs $199. The price tag of the S3 is one that I CAN afford if that's the decision, but why spend $150 more than I have to if I end up liking the GNex also? I'm extremely happy with stock Android on my Nexus 7, and have never been a fan of TouchWiz while playing with any Samsung phone.

Now, I've been reading a lot of negativity about the Nexus being on Verizon. Slower-than-Google updates, oddities with LTE working properly, etc. Maybe not having the Nexus 4 on Verizon is a sign that it's just not a fit for the line of devices to be on this Network. How bad are the supposed issues that people are talking about with the phone on this network? How does the S3 work with LTE? Flawlessly as it should? Obviously updates haven't been huge yet for the S3, but it's still Samsung and they've also never been great with updates.

Next, the camera and lack of storage expansion on the Nexus. The camera, while only 5mp, was supposed to be very good for low-light settings (reported before the release, if I remember correctly), but nothing more than average otherwise. I will say right away that the camera (front-facing camera is irreverent) isn't make or break because I don't use it to capture species-ending historic moments, but I am curious of the quality people are seeing from it. How is the camera on the S3? Do those 3mp make a difference? I have a Thunderbolt now, and I'm pleased with the camera on that. As for the SD Card... I realize that Nexus devices are "supposed" to lack this, and it's completely normal for the storage not to be expandable. But I'm not a fan of the Cloud yet. I'm not convinced that relying on someone else to store my stuff is a reliable way of listening to music or watching videos, etc. I do have Google Music and that is an option (as opposed to putting 10gb of music physically on my phone), but I prefer for that to be a back up as opposed to my source of listening to music.

So I'm really just looking for all of your opinions on these things, as well as anything else you'd have to add. I have an upgrade available on Nov. 17th. Also, a little explanation of some of the new features on the S3 based on what you guys have been experiencing would be awesome.

Thanks!

I know that several retailers, like Best Buy and/or Amazon, have the S3 for $150.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2281285

EDIT:

Just to add, unless you're really big into gaming, the expandable SD storage makes the 16GB version good enough for most.

LTE runs just great on this phone. I'm also a former TBolt owner, and I find LTE reception is just as good if not better.

Camera: what really impresses me with the camera is not just the quality of the shots, but the speed at which it takes them. I was at a football game shortly after buying my S3, and I trying to figure out why the camera wasn't working. Turns out it was working fine, but I was so used to it taking a few seconds to take pictures that I didn't realize I had just taken about 15 pictures without even realizing it. No "focus...focus...focus...snap...wait...display", just "snap. done."

Last edited:

ramonm2

Dec 23, 2010
ramonm2.blogspot.com
You're gonna want to go with the S3. The pricing might be a little higher but the phone just came out and it's gonna do what you need to do for the next 2 years in your contract. It has the potential for SD card, The camera is amazing, Touchwiz can always be replaced by a 3rd party launcher, I think hands down S3 on this one. LTE is good if your in the right area. Let us know what you choose!

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll definitely give that extra attention then, guys!

I'll come back and let you know my decision, but seeing it for $150 makes it much more tempting to go this way without a doubt!

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Gnex is still a great phone... You can even get one for around 200 out of contract.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh, absolutely! I agree that the GNex is a great phone or I wouldn't be looking at it. and the price (I've seen them for $250 for Verizon off-contract) is definitely right at $50 assuming I use my upgrade. But I have heard more bad things about the Verizon one specifically than I am used to hearing about Nexus devices, and it worries me a bit as well.

TimV28

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I have both a nexus and a s3. If you are looking for a toy to tweak and mod then go with the nexus. If you are looking for a phone to use daily and be happy with go for the s3.

There are so many features on the s3 that are awesome right out of the box. The battery life is amazing.
If you decide to go gnex, and want to save your upgrade I have one for sale with lots of extras I am willing to deal on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I put a lot of thought and research into this as I was confronted with the same dilemma this season. I went from Sprint to Verizon and got the S3 and am extremely pleased. Here were some of my key decision points:

1. The device is just a gateway to the service. Sprint is a spotty 3G network with aspirations to one day have a 4G network, but no disclosed concrete plan as to when they will have it in any given area. Also, Sprint is a bunch of lying douchebags that ask you to invest for 2 years with blind faith. Verizon is openly a bit more expensive, but has fantastic coverage and legit 4G. Verizon 4G will run circles around Sprint's 3G and WiMax. I can mathematically pull more data in a DAY with Verizon than you can with Sprint in a MONTH. Also, many of the "help me root" posts I see here are strictly driven by tethering needs. Sprint fights you every step of the way and would charge $30 more; Verizon just includes it with your plan. After being with them for 13 years, I do not miss Sprint at all.

2. As a music fan and pic-taking concert goer, I need considerable storage. The GNex does not have an SD card reader, so you're stuck with what you buy at time of purchase (just 16GB at the price point you reference) for ROMs, backups, music, HD vid, pics, etc. For as many great ROMs as the GNex has, they don't allow you a lot of space to play with them and still have your files. This is something that always troubled me about the Apple model and I was not eager to buy into it. The phones need significant internal storage for the OS, apps and data, but I want more for my pics and music.

3. The GNex is notorious for poor battery life; Sprint was offering the battery upgrade kit for free when I left. The problem is that the expanded battery renders your device incompatible with the quality cases made for it (Ballistic, Otterbox, etc.) Why have a phone and not invest in a case to protect it from inevitable drops and dings. The S3 has great battery life out of the box, and only gets better with a custom ROM, kernel, and inverted Gapps.

4. In spite of my media collection, I am mostly a productivity user. While the S3 is a bit wider, that extra space makes it preferable for remoting into desktops and servers, reading PDFs and charts, and allows for a truly usable Paranoid Android experience. I'll admit that one-handed operations can be a little more difficult than with other devices, but the S3 is nice median between a GNex and a Galaxy Note. The size of any of these devices does take a little to get used to and I do not recommend it to hipsters, as it will not sit comfortably in skinny jeans.

Both are decent devices, though. Good luck in deciding what works best for you!

EDIT: Not sure why I inferred from my first read that you may be with Sprint, but that's the reason for my rant at point 1.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I too was interested in the GNex initially, but I always wait to see the pro's and cons before purchasing. Needless to say I passed on the GNex. The main reasons were no SD card, camera, battery life, dropped calls, and the fact that Verizon would slow down the update process. Now I know to some these are trivial, but to me they are important. I too attend quite a few concerts and take video and photos, I have to say the S3 has the most impressive camera I have yet to see on a smartphone! Having the ability to add extra storage is a plus (64GB card) which means I never have to worry about running out of storage. I have several Gigs of music at my disposal and do not have to rely on "Cloud" storage, which uses up data and is sometimes not available. Battery life on the S3 for me has been outstanding. I have had no issues whatsoever with the phone so far. I am rooted and unlocked, but have not tried any ROMS yet because many have glitches which in my case I am not willing to sacrifice (yet). First and foremost my S3 is a business phone, and the secondary main use is as my camera/video for concerts + family events. Honestly probably the biggest reason for not flashing a ROM yet is the camera, the S3 camera is just fantastic. The S3 out of the box has been the best phone to date for me, which is why I have not flashed any ROMs yet. If you flash a ROM you lose some really neat features:

*The camera which has burst mode, the ability to take a snapshot in video mode ( I do not believe any of the ROMs currently out have a better camera).
**While in contacts swype left for text and right for call
***Several Motion activating features

I believe both phones are good, it just depends on what features are a priority for each individual, for me it was the S3.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had both. If my GNex had decent reception and good battery life I would have kept it. My S3 has 4G LTE where my GNex wouldn't give me a 3G signal. User experience obviously varies.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Will anything be missed going from a GNEX with a rom like AOKP or Sorcery to an SIII with a Rom? I love the GNEX but signal is a pain sometimes and I am on my second. I am lucky to get an hour of screen time with the 2100 mah battery. I can get 9-12 hours of life but no screen time :(

I like the thickness and the fact that a 4000mah battery on the SIII does not look like a hunchbacked oddity. Not sure I want to shell out $400+ for a phone with no warranty.

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Almost everyone here is hitting on the exact points that I see as relevant.

My biggest con remaining has got to be the Screen Size (4.8" is stupidly large... That's 2" smaller than my TABLET lol). Obviously that's not changing though, and other than that, I think you guys have me talked into the S3 about 95% of the way. It all comes down to the last time playing with them in store before I buy it, but I would bet this is gonna be my choice!

TimV28

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
The size difference is not that bad. I have had both a Nexus and S3. I am looking at both right now. There isn't that big of a difference. The only thing that I miss about the Nexus is Jellybean, and how stupid easy it is to unlock, root, and flash the heck out of it. Other than that the S3 is better in every way possible. Plus, I use my phone a lot during the day, and I was at 39% battery at midnight. I took it off the charger at 7:45 am. My nexus with a Samsung OEM extended battery would have been on the charger once during the middle of the day. That being said, I do like both phones, each one for a different reason.

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Well assuming I can figure out a way to keep my unlimited data, I will absolutely be going for the S3.

The biggest con against it is the price, and quite honestly, saying that I can't afford it right now would be a lie that I'd be (most likely) regretting for the next 20 months. Not that I don't think the G Nex would be a great phone, just knowing that the S3 is and will be outperforming it in every way except software updates is about enough. Again, I'm not a fan of the 4.8" screen, but I do feel that I will adjust. 0.3" isn't really that big of a difference to give one an edge over the other anyways.

So, anyways, the S3 is my choice! Thank you to everyone for your feedback and opinions on this. Very helpful :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well assuming I can figure out a way to keep my unlimited data, I will absolutely be going for the S3.

The biggest con against it is the price, and quite honestly, saying that I can't afford it right now would be a lie that I'd be (most likely) regretting for the next 20 months. Not that I don't think the G Nex would be a great phone, just knowing that the S3 is and will be outperforming it in every way except software updates is about enough. Again, I'm not a fan of the 4.8" screen, but I do feel that I will adjust. 0.3" isn't really that big of a difference to give one an edge over the other anyways.

So, anyways, the S3 is my choice! Thank you to everyone for your feedback and opinions on this. Very helpful :)

TOOLEY

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
S3 is superior in Just about every way except for the skinned software. I like to root n modify my phones. So for me the Galaxy Nexus with pure Google works best. I will say that I wish the Galaxy Nexus had S Beam. With the S3 I don't believe you can go wrong even if it cost a little more. May want to see for a price drop Black Friday. Perhaps that may help ur situation a bit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Will anything be missed going from a GNEX with a rom like AOKP or Sorcery to an SIII with a Rom? I love the GNEX but signal is a pain sometimes and I am on my second. I am lucky to get an hour of screen time with the 2100 mah battery. I can get 9-12 hours of life but no screen time :(

I like the thickness and the fact that a 4000mah battery on the SIII does not look like a hunchbacked oddity. Not sure I want to shell out $400+ for a phone with no warranty.

There has to be something wrong with your phone. I can get about 2.5 he's screen time all on 3g on a stock gnex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza