Unsupported in Civic?

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
So either way, USB or WiFi, you'd have to use a cable, correct?
Don't understand the logic. Use WiFi and plug phone into charger. Problem solved.

EDIT: Meant Bluetooth, not WiFi.

My bad! Should have paid attention to others that explained the car in questions radio evidently doesn't support bluetooth and the USB doesn't support Android, at least newer Samsung firmware. Gonna have to check that out if I ever get to a point where I can upgrade to a " modern" vehicle with " modern" electronics. I'd be happy if I could get the Godsmack CD that's stuck in my CD player out! Wonder if there's a forum for that?
Anyway, my apologies to RLLangley

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The failure is on Samsungs end. The car is expecting to see a standard USB mass storage device out there, and Samsung requires custom USB drivers and such that the Honda doesn't have.
I'm not sure why Samsung has such a goofed up USB. I can't get my S3 to work on half of the PCs I've tried it on. Luckily, wireless works well for me.

Not exactly. Android did away with Mass Storage mode starting with ICS (I believe), and now use MTP/PTP for default USB data connections.

You should not need any drivers to view and access the files on your device over MTP assuming that the device you are connected to supports it (such as Windows computers). Typically, you'll only need drivers to do more complex system tasks with USB debugging enabled, such as adb and fastboot.

The fact is that car manufacturers should be adding MTP support for their USB media ports (and I'm sure that some do...but obviously not Honda). It is a very common protocol -- most digital cameras, for example, use it. Unfortunately, none of this info actually helps anyone here having problems.

I don't really feel like typing it all out again, but if you're interested, you can look at this thread here, I've elaborated on some of these points... post #1 post #2

androids did work before, but they worked on early jelly beans or earlier versions., we are now on a new operating system. like is sony playstation 1 or 2 or 3 being backwards compatible now? xbox, xbox 360, and xbox one. especially without anyway to actually update the system.

maybe google can actually update their car app to be able to be backwards compatible with honda, or all cars, or honda can make an app for compatibility with android.

but the fact is that with honeycomb and earlier versions. they did work alright. granted, it was just the internal media player that it controlled for usb hook up, but now these usb hookups don't even have enough power to charge a phone. especially now that phones like the s3, s4 note 2 and note 3 use 2 amp chargers, and stock car usb hookups are still at .5 amp.

It's not really a change in the OS, as much as it is the fact that they stopped supporting mass storage mode and instead switched to MTP, as mentioned above. (also more fully explained here)

I'm pretty annoyed by this as well. I just purchased a 2013 Civic yesterday and was told repeatedly by several of the salesmen that it "integrated seamlessly with any smartphone". They were all hot on the text to speech for text messages and streaming Pandora. Too bad none of that works with Android. I'm going to go back today, but I'm sure they will have no answer.

Now...this is what does make me angry. Why on Earth would a salesman say "integrated seamlessly with any smartphone", when in fact almost no non-iPhones will work with it??? Just say it works with iPhones if that's all it does. And yeah, trust me, they won't be able to provide you with any intelligent answers.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Not exactly. Android did away with Mass Storage mode starting with ICS (I believe), and now use MTP/PTP for default USB data connections.

You should not need any drivers to view and access the files on your device over MTP assuming that the device you are connected to supports it (such as Windows computers). Typically, you'll only need drivers to do more complex system tasks with USB debugging enabled, such as adb and fastboot.

The fact is that car manufacturers should be adding MTP support for their USB media ports (and I'm sure that some do...but obviously not Honda). It is a very common protocol -- most digital cameras, for example, use it. Unfortunately, none of this info actually helps anyone here having problems.

I'm sticking with what I said. I had two S3s. In MTP mode, neither of them would connect to two of the three PCs I tried them on. Virtually everything I transfer to those had to be done wirelessly. I now have an S4, and while I still typically use wireless syncing, it never has a problem with USB. I still say that Samsung has an issue with USB on the S3.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm sticking with what I said. I had two S3s. In MTP mode, neither of them would connect to two of the three PCs I tried them on. Virtually everything I transfer to those had to be done wirelessly. I now have an S4, and while I still typically use wireless syncing, it never has a problem with USB. I still say that Samsung has an issue with USB on the S3.

Fair enough...that's highly possible.

drodge

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Why aren't you just using Bluetooth?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
I've played with all the settings and got some of it to work. I can even use Pandora now, all through BT. The main issue I have with it now is the terrible lag, though. It takes about 5 seconds from when you push a button to where the audio actually changes. I listen to a lot of podcasts while commuting, and trying to FF, Rew, or skip tracks is just about impossible. It's nice to actually have audio, so on one hand it's hard to complain. Still, it seems crazy to loose much of the functionality. I can do the same thing by using aux. audio cable and just plugging it in manually.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I plugged my HTC Amaze into the Honda Pilot yesterday and it recognized the music from the internal storage, too bad I have it all on my sd card. Oh well maybe it'll work on a Nexus.

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I've played with all the settings and got some of it to work. I can even use Pandora now, all through BT. The main issue I have with it now is the terrible lag, though. It takes about 5 seconds from when you push a button to where the audio actually changes. I listen to a lot of podcasts while commuting, and trying to FF, Rew, or skip tracks is just about impossible. It's nice to actually have audio, so on one hand it's hard to complain. Still, it seems crazy to loose much of the functionality. I can do the same thing by using aux. audio cable and just plugging it in manually.

Shout out to the underrated AUX cables!!

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

Cera Klomp

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
This is so odd to me. With technology as it is, a car with a usb port or bluetooth cannot be configured to all phones? No matter if they are Iphones or androids. Do only people who use iphones buy and use Hondas (sarcasm)? Really? I'm so frustrated by this idiotic issue. Over a month ago I bought a 2012 Cr-Z My GalaxyI worked perfect with the usb port and my phone jack... then about 3 weeksago... I had to replace my GalaxyI with The GalaxyII. It still seemed to be fine . I streamed Pandora through it...then out of the blue, a few days ago .... I start getting crackling sounds out of the speakers........... then nothing.. I took it (the car ) to the local Honda dealership and it was as if I was trapped at the Apple Store timewarp..... via 2002!!! The guy gets into the car, attempting to help ( a women) and says... "why dont you just use your blue tooth?" WOW!!!!!..and .."why dont you do this...?" Then my favorite......" Well Lets see if MY IPHONE WORKS WITH IT... OH IT DOES!!!!" Thing is, i wanted to scream at him....."Your not driving this car , I am!!! And I dont own a IPHONE!!!!!!"...SO~ I guess I'm the only only person on planet earth who has a android phone that drives a Honda". Im so frustrated.. the guys answer????..." Go buy a different charge/sync cord.. and see if that works"...another .....WOW!!!!,:mad::mad::mad: this came form a Honda service . Wow!!!! im still just out of my mind as to what to do. There must be away.. just to play my music over my car speakers... i feel like im living in technology -crazy-town!!!!!!.:confused::confused::confused::mad::mad:

TryingCommonSense

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a 2012 Honda Civic LX, with very low mileage and am having the same issues with my android phone. After saving my downpayment for the past year and forced to take buses and trains all over town when my previous car was totaled, the fact that I can't listen to my music off my phone is miniscule.

I don't know about you but, I didn't dream about owning a Civic when I was little and now all my dreams are ruined! A Civic is good, reliable TRANSPORTATION! Yes I get it, you were told your phone would sync up. But as it is now, it won't. So you've got a few options.

1. Download your music to a flash drive, plug into your USB and voila... 2. Go buy the cheapest iPhone, iPod or MP3 you can find and pay to download the same music you already have, and miss your next car payment. I don't recommend this. 3. There's an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter (part #ELM327) purchase link http..\\amzn.to\13gwLMc you can get from Amazon for about $20 or less or from aliexpress with free shipping for $4 that will allow your Bluetooth to communicate with your Honda. Now you can play your music off your Android phone.

You can see how it works on youtube, if you have problems. Good luck!

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an elm327 in my 97 Ranger. It's for reading, troubleshooting, and resetting the engine computer. How do you use it to play music?
$4 free shipping isn't free.

AC App on SGS3

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
My bad! Should have paid attention to others that explained the car in questions radio evidently doesn't support bluetooth and the USB doesn't support Android, at least newer Samsung firmware. Gonna have to check that out if I ever get to a point where I can upgrade to a " modern" vehicle with " modern" electronics. I'd be happy if I could get the Godsmack CD that's stuck in my CD player out! Wonder if there's a forum for that?
Anyway, my apologies to RLLangley
Using a blank CD has worked for me in the past. The blank is shorter depth wise allowing for you to dislodge it as it's ejecting it. Eject, place the CD inside, enjoy different CD. (You don't even really need to use a blank, I've done it with written discs though you may scratch one by accident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37