Phone takes forever to charge with stock charger.

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
At home I use the stock charger that came with the S3 and it takes forever to fully charge. I'm talking over and hour or two. At work I use the Blackberry wall usb charger for my phone and it does a full charge from 15% to 100 in like 20 minutes. Why the huge difference?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 on Verizon 12G

D850

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
It is supposed to take 1-2.5 hours to charge the S3 depending on how low the battery is charging time will increase if you are using the phone while charging it. I use the recommended samsung 1amp at 5v usb wall charger. 1amp at 5v is the highest charge rate recommended by samsung. If you use the blackberry charger it may have a higher amp rate or voltage. I would stop using the blackberry charger because if it takes only 20 minutes to charge from 15% to 100% that is way to fast and you are probably damaging the battery and shortening the battery life span and also if you are putting beyond the recommended amps or volts into the phone you could also be damaging your S3. My advice would to stop using the BB charger asap.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
It can't charge from 15% to 100% on 20 minutes. For starters, anything over a 1C charge rate will shorten the battery life a lot. So you really want it to take an hour OR MORE.
The battery is 2100mahr. The phone charging electronics pulls AT THE MOST near 800ma. at 5 volts. So that is 2.5 hours or so. PERIOD. It doesn't matter if you have a 1 amp or a 100 amp charger, the phone will pull around 800ma. About 2.5 hours for a full charge.
That is the way it works, and that is the way you want it to work. If they designed it to charge at, or faster then 1 hour, the phone would get very hot, and the battery would have a short life.
It is possible that the BB charger is over 5 volts. Check the voltage on it. If it is over 5, you risk over heating something and damaging it. Don't use anything over 5 volts.

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I was exhageratting on the 20 minutes. I thought 2 hours was a long time but didn't know it was normal. I will stop using the other charger and continue with the stock one. Thanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 on Verizon 12G

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
my stock charger chargers pretty fast. (well, except in the outlet at the mall during Sandy, then somehow it took 2+ hours to charge ~80% with the same charger)

the 'travel charger' I bought on ebay for the GAlaxy S 1 that I have at my desk charges pretty slowly though.

PamelaBB

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
The stock charger charges very quickly for me as well. I've been quite pleased with the speed actually.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2