16gb vs 32gb - Is there any difference other than internal storage capacity?

MakeItRain

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. Long-time listener, first-time caller.

Are there any other differences between the 16gb and 32gb models besides the on-board storage capacity??

I've been browsing around and can't seem to find any topics specifically stating yes or no. I called Verizon, with no real expectations, and the woman I spoke with really had no idea what she was talking about.

Thanks in advance for any help ladies and gentlemen! :D

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If the 32gb is not much more in price then the 16gb then go for the 32 gig. You can only store apps on internal memory and not the SD card so internal plays an important role on the S3. I have the 16gb and the only reason I bought it was because it had room for an SD card so at least I can put my pictures, videos, music and backups on there.

I bought off contract so the price difference between the 2 were a lot for me. If price was closer or it was on contract I would have definitely went with the 32 gig. 16 gigs is do able only because the option of an SD card, otherwise I would never buy a 16 gig no sd card slot device. With my SD card, I am down to 4 gigs internal. Asphalt 7 is 1 game and takes up over 1 gig internal storage. I also have 10 gigs used on my SD card. Also remember the 16 gig is about 11 usable gigs when you get the device.

I have no idea how people do a 16 gig device without the option for expandable storage.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I got the 32gb version. I'm glad I did.
I had a Thunderbolt and a single removable 32gb card. I put a lot of maps, music and videos on the card. It was filled.
With the S3, I put my maps and music on the internal sdcard, and videos on the old 32gb external card. I still have a lot of room.

BUT sadly, you have TWO cards now with this design. A lot of apps don't manage this well, and only work with the internal card. Generally, that is fine, but backing up that internal card is a problem. I can easily pull the external card, to back it up. That can't be done with the internal card.

Other then that glitch, I would go for the max in the internal card. The two storage card don't simply add to each other. Most of what you do will deal only with the internal sdCard. It will fill up first.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried using sym links in the right place to solve some of the dual card issues? How did it pan out? Any permissions issues?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Question is a few days old but...

No, there's no other difference. Either model can support an additional SD card (and a lot of people already have one of those), so for most folks, the 16 GB is plenty of internal storage.

*IF* you are big into games (because they primarily are large files that need to run on internal storage), have a lot of media or simply don't feel like dealing with an SD card, than the 32 is definitely worth considering.

Again, for most, 16 GB is more than enough...but for some, 32 GB is definitely better -- and if you're one of those people, you probably already know it.

wiscottsin

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
After the 4.1.1 update you finally get to use ALL THE 16 gb of internal storage. Just wish that I knew you couldn't store apps on the External SD card, would have definitely bought the 32 gb version for the measly $50.
$@$

Sent from my SCH-I535

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
After the 4.1.1 update you finally get to use ALL THE 16 gb of internal storage. Just wish that I knew you couldn't store apps on the External SD card, would have definitely bought the 32 gb version for the measly $50.
$@$

Sent from my SCH-I535

Haven't been able to store apps on sd since gingerbread I believe. But u can store pics n music on it. I got the 32 gb

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
After the 4.1.1 update you finally get to use ALL THE 16 gb of internal storage.

Hmmm...I guess that's true. Hadn't even noticed on mine, but it does show a full 16GB.

Just wish that I knew you couldn't store apps on the External SD card, would have definitely bought the 32 gb version for the measly $50.
$@$

Sent from my SCH-I535

This isn't new, and there a lot of good reasons to NOT run apps from SD card. There was a time, way back in the days of the original Droid and older Android phones, when adding this feature was a necessary evil because phones would ship with ridiculously small amounts of internal storage (~256MB). Now however, with 16GB, there really should be absolutely no reason to need to run apps from SD -- *unless* you're running a lot of games or larger apps that consume a lot of space, in which case the 32GB model is probably a better choice. Honestly though, I have about 80 apps currently on mine and they collectively take up less than 1 GB in my internal storage, which is why I believe *most* folks won't have an issue with the smaller capacity.

Haven't been able to store apps on sd since gingerbread I believe. But u can store pics n music on it. I got the 32 gb

I think that is true. Again, there are concerns when it comes to speed and accessibility regarding running apps from SD card. In a perfect world, it would be nice to be able to do it easily, but it isn't quite as simple as some folks think -- I find it surprising that I still see so many complaints in app reviews regarding this feature.

I'm not trying to defend or offend anyone here, but I think that it is time for people to accept that running apps on SD card is simply not going to be an option going forward, and this fact should be considered when choosing a device.

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...I guess that's true. Hadn't even noticed on mine, but it does show a full 16GB.

This isn't new, and there a lot of good reasons to NOT run apps from SD card. There was a time, way back in the days of the original Droid and older Android phones, when adding this feature was a necessary evil because phones would ship with ridiculously small amounts of internal storage (~256MB). Now however, with 16GB, there really should be absolutely no reason to need to run apps from SD -- *unless* you're running a lot of games or larger apps that consume a lot of space, in which case the 32GB model is probably a better choice. Honestly though, I have about 80 apps currently on mine and they collectively take up less than 1 GB in my internal storage, which is why I believe *most* folks won't have an issue with the smaller capacity.

I think that is true. Again, there are concerns when it comes to speed and accessibility regarding running apps from SD card. In a perfect world, it would be nice to be able to do it easily, but it isn't quite as simple as some folks think -- I find it surprising that I still see so many complaints in app reviews regarding this feature.

I'm not trying to defend or offend anyone here, but I think that it is time for people to accept that running apps on SD card is simply not going to be an option going forward, and this fact should be considered when choosing a device.

There's enough on board storage on most devices that it's not needed tho.