Upgraded to Samsung Galaxy s3 from iPhone 4s 5 days ago.. Droid Dna?

PalmPrePlusPwns

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I just made the switch to Android Samsung Galaxy s3 about 5 days ago..

I am now wondering since I still have 14 days to return the phone.. Should I return this phone for the Droid DNA?

I didn't realize this phone was coming out but it seems to have better specs than the S3 except for storage capacity.

Being that i'm still in my return window, I just want to make sure I get the device that is going to have the longest life.

opinions?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

I am now wondering since I still have 14 days to return the phone.. Should I return this phone for the Droid DNA?

I didn't realize this phone was coming out but it seems to have better specs than the S3 except for storage capacity.

Being that i'm still in my return window, I just want to make sure I get the device that is going to have the longest life.

opinions?

Tough question to answer. Most folks here will probably say to stick with the S3 (these are S3 owners, after all).

Personally, I wouldn't switch. My last phone was an HTC, and while I didn't have any serious issues with it, I've been very happy with Samsung since getting the S3. Add to that the storage issue and that HTC phones have notoriously bad battery life, and I think I'd rather just keep my good 'ol S3.

wscaddie56

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest two reasons you may like the S3 better. First, to go from a 3.5" screen to a 5" might too large a leap. Have patience grasshopper. ;)

Second, there is certainly a touch of iOS in touchwiz, so you may feel more comfortable for the moment with that 'skin' over pure android.

I guess I think putting a toe in the android pool may be better than diving in head first.

The non removable battery and no sd card support are deal breakers for me, but that 1080p screen must be pretty bad ass.

PalmPrePlusPwns

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm actually happy with the s3 but i don't have a wealth of Android experience to have a complete opinion with this device compared to other Android phones.

Being that this is one of the best selling, if not "Thee" best selling Android phone, i'm sure im not going to be disappointed.

Just looking to get the most value in performance / updates / apps&gaming power for at least a little over a year.

Im big on apps

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Based on my experience with HTC, Sense uses a LOT of resources, and freezes up unexpectedly. I haven't had a single issue with my S3 since I bought it. The DNA is a nice phone for sure, but HTC battery life sucked on my last 2 of them. I charge my S3 at work, and leave it unplugged overnight while I sleep...

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I get jealous when a great new device comes out. Not feeling jealous of the DNA. Since you are someone who just jumped to Android you might like it but for someone who has used HTC devices for years, they just seem stale and dated. No matter how good the specs are all HTC devices feel the same with there dated Sense overlay. If you used one HTC device now you used them all.

Also, unless is has 32gb of storage there is no way I would buy it. Only way I would by a 16gb device is if it had an SD slot. While apps cannot got on an SD card you can put all your pics, music, movies, backups and everything else you download on there. That way you keep your internal storage open for apps. Without the SD car slot everything needs to squeeze into the non expandable memory. Sorry, not going to happen.

Either way you will have a top tier device so there is no right or wrong answer. I just prefer Samsungs for now and like their extra touched that they add. Also, they will both suck in a year from now with updates so I would not even be concerned with that.

chadderbox

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd say stick with the S3. I've had a Rezound which to be honest I loved, but I couldn't get past the battery life and sluggish Sense. It was an awesome device don't get me wrong, especially modded with CleanROM on it but IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to the S3. I thought about the DNA as well since I'd give them another shot at having a better battery, but the expandable storage kills it for me. I don't mind the battery not being swappable as I never swapped on my Rezound and I came from an iPhone which obviously was the same, but they both had 64GB storage so I can't do 16. My music alone would kill that.

Coming from an iPhone recently trust me when I say you won't be disappointed with the S3. I love it and battery life has been incredible. Whichever you decide best of luck!

ducey99

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

opinions?

I'm not an owner of the Droid. DNA but I am the owner of an HTC Thunderbolt and I have to say that the battery life sucks! My upgrade is on the 30th and it can't get here fast enough. I can't wait to toss this phone. So I would say to stick with the SG3. It sounds like it is a solid phone to have with some pretty cool features.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

ducey99

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You'll never have a perfect phone. There's always something new coming out in the Android world. Just pick one.

I'm totally agree. I'm getting the SG3 in 10 days and I just heard about a rumor of the SG4 and it definitely peaked my interest. But I could be waiting months for that phone and when that comes out something else will be on the horizon so I'm going with the SG3. It's a great phone after all.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
S3 is pretty mind blowing... That said so is the new DNA. The screen is jaw dropping. I would consider if you can live without the sd card and the battery life may be less than the S3; if so then I would get the DNA. Personally I don't need a large battery or sd space but I'm long out of my return period.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been drooling over the dna since it was first leaked. I just came from a HTC phone to the sgs3. There is good an bad with both, and when I weighed it all out, I am either sticking with the sgs or going to the note 2.

My reasoning:

I think battery life will be a non issue. The DNA is not a tb or a rezound, tech has come a long way and it should see the same kind of battery life as we do now. I have come back a bit on my hard stance against non removable batteries, but it is still kinda of important to me. So strike 1 I guess.

16gb of storage with no sdcard just flat out blows. It is inexcusable and the biggest strike of all. Since we are not in an iNexus forum, I hope we do not have to hear the chorus of 'that's the way Google intended' I will give up the sdcard when you make 32 - 64gb standard. Strike 4 against the dna, and no I didn't miscount.

Screen goes to the DNA but they are both good.
Sense 4+ vs TW. Sense has come a long way. I like both of them so I call it a draw. Again this isn't a tbolt. S4 is pretty lightweight and intuitive.
Camera is a wash
Hackability goes to Samsung. These phones are hard to brick. If you are into flashing, Samsung is the way to go.
Dev/community support. I think if there is an edge it will be to Samsung. There are a lot of good HTC devs, but you cannot compare a phone released worldwide to one that is released to just one carrier.

My two cents, I wanted the dna but it comes up short. The sgs3 is still king of the road, and a good choice for the money

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I know the DNA screen is nice but the S3 screen is no slouch. My eyes see everything on it pretty darn clear... Not really sure how much better it would get. Not enough to warrant the downsides and costs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Pose the same question over at the DNA forum..........hmmm, pretty sure what the answer will be.
I personally dig my S3 but understand that it became "old technology" the day I bought it.
It's hard for some to accept this reality. The DNA is the next step and if you buy it, it will also be "old technology" in the days to come.
Most smart phones today far exceed our needs and capabilities (not that it stops any one of us from having to have the "latest and the greatest".....We are true tech junkies.
I really do not do anymore with my S3 than I did with my Nexus3 or Bionic before that. The others were more than capable and served my every need (except Nexus phone signal really did suck)....still had to have the S3 though, LOL.
I like the DNA....I will probably get one (after I read the real life initial reviews).
My concerns are simple:
Does it feel good in the hand?
Is the battery capable of a full day of use (for me)? If so, a non-removable battery is of no concern.
Is there enough storage? I do not use my phone for music, movies, games, etc. so usually not an issue.
Will there be a major issue with connectivity (Phone & Data) upon launch? That's why I wait before I jump, it's my office phone and I cannot have bad/no service.
I personally do not have any issues with the brand (HTC) I have tried them all. I think all of them are now throwing their "A Game" at us.

If I were you and considering your 14 day window, I would switch. It is the latest and the greatest, like it or not.
Good luck, you really can't lose whatever you decide.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have been drooling over the dna since it was first leaked. I just came from a HTC phone to the sgs3. There is good an bad with both, and when I weighed it all out, I am either sticking with the sgs or going to the note 2.

My reasoning:

I think battery life will be a non issue. The DNA is not a tb or a rezound, tech has come a long way and it should see the same kind of battery life as we do now. I have come back a bit on my hard stance against non removable batteries, but it is still kinda of important to me. So strike 1 I guess.

16gb of storage with no sdcard just flat out blows. It is inexcusable and the biggest strike of all. Since we are not in an iNexus forum, I hope we do not have to hear the chorus of 'that's the way Google intended' I will give up the sdcard when you make 32 - 64gb standard. Strike 4 against the dna, and no I didn't miscount.

Screen goes to the DNA but they are both good.
Sense 4+ vs TW. Sense has come a long way. I like both of them so I call it a draw. Again this isn't a tbolt. S4 is pretty lightweight and intuitive.
Camera is a wash
Hackability goes to Samsung. These phones are hard to brick. If you are into flashing, Samsung is the way to go.
Dev/community support. I think if there is an edge it will be to Samsung. There are a lot of good HTC devs, but you cannot compare a phone released worldwide to one that is released to just one carrier.

My two cents, I wanted the dna but it comes up short. The sgs3 is still king of the road, and a good choice for the money

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

That is true...but none the less, HTC has a reputation for under-powering devices with weak batteries. The Thunderbolt was a bit of a unique case because 4G LTE turned out to drain the battery faster than I believe the manufacturers or developers ever imagined it would, but even so, it is something older HTC phones were already known for (HTC Eris, anyone?). I'm not even sure if it's the smaller batteries or that Sense is just a power hog that contributes to this ... but it's probably a little of both. I honestly don't know the specs of the battery included with the DNA, and maybe they have improved in this area, but I do know I LOVE getting 2 days out a single charge on my S3 when I need to.

For me, SD storage on my phone is a must -- even if that means having to eliminate some otherwise great devices from my list.

kwc0055

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
After looking at the DNA and its killer specs I've noticed two killer blows to this phone. The storage and the battery. The S3 has a smaller screen with less resolution yet a bigger battery. With power saving I'm getting about 21 hours of usage every charge. With the DNA that 1080p screen and quad core processor on such a small battery will probably just leave you frustrated. From reviews the battery life is terrible.

Storage on the other hand is all in management. 16 gb for me is simply not enough as I root and hack my phone + music and apps. I have used 9/16gb of phone space and 12/32 gb of external SD space. The fact that you can't expand the storage or atleast buy a larger option is a fail on HTC's part. Great potential on a phone but those two key features leans me more toward the sgs3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol