Portable Speaker

df74

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
We use the speaker on the S3 a lot when we have a couple people taking part in the conversation. I was wondering if I could use the battery operated plug-in speaker I use with my MP3 player on my phone? Apologizing in advance if this is a stupid question.

GC736

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Assuming it's using the standard 3.5mm jack, yes you may.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Maybe not.
When you plug anything into the headphone jack, it may assume that you are plugging in a headphone that includes a microphone. Headphones with a microphone have an extran contact ring around them. So it may depend on if the S3 detects that ring as there or not. All you can do is try it.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I use it in my car this way with a tape adapter. It doesn't work as well as another device that I used like this. I'm guessing that it either uses the top mic or it does not adjust as if it were on speakerphone. But the mic does work in this configuration.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but AC has a link to Jam Boxes on sale this week, they are known to work well for this purpose.

df74

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I attempted this yesterday. I plugged the portable speaker into the phone, made my call, I could hear the phone ringing and the person speaking through the speaker but he could not hear me. I tried twice and then gave up. Does it make sense that it only works on my end?

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I attempted this yesterday. I plugged the portable speaker into the phone, made my call, I could hear the phone ringing and the person speaking through the speaker but he could not hear me. I tried twice and then gave up. Does it make sense that it only works on my end?

Read what I wrote above.
When you plug into the headphone jack, it is going to assume that the microphone is included in the headphone that you plugged in. If there is no microphone on your speakers, then the other end isn't going to hear you.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The Jambox work for this perfect and if you don't want to plug them in they also connect blue tooth.