Newbie guidance please....

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm really wanting to put jellybean on my Verizon SIII.... could someone please guide me to the easiest and most step by step instructions on how to do it? There's so much on here, I'm not sure where to start to be honest and searching just ends up sending me in circles. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'll thumb my way through it.... I know it's a beat to death question kinda. Thanks anyhow

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Head over to the ROMS AND ROOTING section and check out the sticky on how to root. Then look around for a build of JB you would like to use.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 on Verizon 12G

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I was looking around in there and I got a little confused on what I NEED to do... And in what order.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you really are a newbie I'd suggest not doing anything to your phone right away. Do some research on Recovery, ADB, various ROMs, etc before you start messing around.
You can download Eclipse for free and experiment with ADB. Take a look at some of the rooting scripts (that use ADB) to get an understanding of what is going on.
Just my $0.02

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

07kngrnch

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading on it since my droid X.... Just never pulled the trigger. Think I know what rom I want...but beyond a root program and the rom, I don't know about the stuff like clockwork etc or when that stuff comes into play.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The num er one easiest way to hard brick. Is to get a Rom not ment for your device.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading on it since my droid X.... Just never pulled the trigger. Think I know what rom I want...but beyond a root program and the rom, I don't know about the stuff like clockwork etc or when that stuff comes into play.
First you will need to know what baseband version you are on in order to use the appropriate rooting method. Head on over here to find method. Make sure to stay in the Verizon section, follow the instructions for that method and make sure to make a Nandroid (backup). Best advice is to read, read, read, and then read some more. Most if not all methods will have step by step instructions (bullet points) for you to follow.

Edit: This post here has consolidated everything for rooting all builds to date.

Last edited:

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm really wanting to put jellybean on my Verizon SIII.... could someone please guide me to the easiest and most step by step instructions on how to do it? There's so much on here, I'm not sure where to start to be honest and searching just ends up sending me in circles. Thanks in advance!

OK ... this is the short, short version...I'd still highly recommended reading these pages carefully, and have an idea of what it is you're actually doing before you just plunge right in. It's not that hard, but at the same time, there are some critical steps.

1. Do this to root, unlock bootloader and flash ClockworkMod Recovery: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ck-bootloader-verizon-galaxy-s3-sch-i535.html
(Use the correct method for type of computer you have!)

2. If you so desire, make a backup of the apps and data on your phone. Here's a guide I wrote a while ago on how to do just that. It's a bit dated, but most of the info is still relevant....

3. Do this, just to be safe: [Tutorial] IMEI - Backup NV with QPST - US Variants - Galaxy S III - RootzWiki

4. Install your ROM. If you're new to it, I'd suggest starting with the stock JB leak, but that is up to you...
Check out this guide on flashing if want... specifically this part of the 2nd post:

TOUCHWIZ BASED ROMS (CleanROM/Synergy ect.):

If you have CMW 6.0.X.X

1. Select wipe data/factory reset, click yes, I do this step 2-3 times but 1 usually is good enough, click yes, let it run and go back to home
2. Select wipe cache partition, click yes, click yes, let it run and go back to home
3. Select advanced, wipe dalvik cache, click yes, let it run and go back to home
4. Select mounts and storage, click format /system, click yes, let it run and go back to home
5. Select install zip from sdcard
6. Select choose zip from sdcard
7. Navigate to the directory where you placed files
8. Select the ROM file (ex: CleanROM2.0), select yes to flash
9. Some ROMs use AROMA installer which allow you to select options, if so select the options you want, and let it install
10. Go back to home, and select reboot system now and profit!

The hard part is done, now wait for your phone to boot. IT WILL TAKE LONGER FOR THE FIRST INITIAL BOOT AFTER DOING A FULL WIPE LIKE THIS. DON'T PANIC OR FREAK OUT, JUST LET IT RUN. Once it boots up, follow the on screen prompts to activate and you can begin to set your phone back up!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo