Data plan

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I also upgraded using another lines upgrade, when the phone came in I went to a Verizon store and had them make me a new sim card for my line and activated the phone. Took 10 minutes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

But you kept both lines, and both phones, right? Does Verizon allow you to open a second line, and then cancel the primary while keeping your primary number on the second phone? If so, I may go open a second line and buy a Note 2 today. It'll cost me $300.00, but I have a good job...lol

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't get the big deal about losing unlimited data. Wifi is just as fast, if not faster, and it doesn't kill your battery nearly as much as LTE. Also you get teathering included. The people who refuse to give it up are actually the ones who caused verizon to get rid of the plans.

My bill is actually cheaper now that I am on a share plan.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I don't get the big deal about losing unlimited data. Wifi is just as fast, if not faster, and it doesn't kill your battery nearly as much as LTE. Also you get teathering included. The people who refuse to give it up are actually the ones who caused verizon to get rid of the plans.

It's cheaper for you because you're on a family plan. Single line users with unlimited data will see an increase in cost with a decrease in data allotment. There's just no way they can justify the additional cost without looking greedy.

They pushed these 4G devices for the last year+ and then decided to take away one year upgrades, NE2, unlimited data and added the popular $30 upgrade fee.

I won't give up unlimited data until I'm forced to do so. I use varying amounts of data but don't have to worry about going over and getting hit with yet another charge. They've robbed me enough over the years and they sure as heck aren't getting any more.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

And if you don't have wifi? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
A cell phone plan is over $100 a month. A wireless router is less than half. Lol

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
A cell phone plan is over $100 a month. A wireless router is less than half. Lol

Good point. Oh wait doesn't that router need internet access? Tac on another $25-$30 per month. Sure some/most have that available but some people don't. To generalize that its easier to use wifi and basically comply with verizon's new plans? No thank you.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's cheaper for you because you're on a family plan. Single line users with unlimited data will see an increase in cost with a decrease in data allotment. There's just no way they can justify the additional cost without looking greedy.

They pushed these 4G devices for the last year+ and then decided to take away one year upgrades, NE2, unlimited data and added the popular $30 upgrade fee.

I won't give up unlimited data until I'm forced to do so. I use varying amounts of data but don't have to worry about going over and getting hit with yet another charge. They've robbed me enough over the years and they sure as heck aren't getting any more.

Valid points. Verizon elimating NE2 and one year updates along with adding the $30 really pissed me off too.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Good point. Oh wait doesn't that router need internet access? Tac on another $25-$30 per month. Sure some/most have that available but some people don't. To generalize that its easier to use wifi and basically comply with verizon's new plans? No thank you.

I do not like that everyone is forced into a share or capped plan. But if you plan on using a cellphone as your sole connection to the internet, then you are going to use a ton of data, especially if you are tethering aa laptop, tablet, etc.

Most people got unlimited data back when they had a 3G phone. It took a serious effort to use 5GB a month on 3G, but that isn't true with LTE speeds. They are doing this to protect a network that is in its infancy. The LTE network would be bogged down if everyone uses the network for 10 to 15GB a month. Their only way to control this is with price.

Your contract expired. The terms to resign are different now. It would be like Michael Jordan going back to the Bulls and demanding to be paid his 1997 salary even though he is now almost 50.

I do not want to defend verizon... but I can see their side of it. As the network gets stronger, and more importantly, as other carriers networks become just as fast and string as Verizon's, unlimited data plans will be back.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I do not like that everyone is forced into a share or capped plan. But if you plan on using a cellphone as your sole connection to the internet, then you are going to use a ton of data, especially if you are tethering aa laptop, tablet, etc.

Most people got unlimited data back when they had a 3G phone. It took a serious effort to use 5GB a month on 3G, but that isn't true with LTE speeds. They are doing this to protect a network that is in its infancy. The LTE network would be bogged down if everyone uses the network for 10 to 15GB a month. Their only way to control this is with price.

Your contract expired. The terms to resign are different now. It would be like Michael Jordan going back to the Bulls and demanding to be paid his 1997 salary even though he is now almost 50.

I do not want to defend verizon... but I can see their side of it. As the network gets stronger, and more importantly, as other carriers networks become just as fast and string as Verizon's, unlimited data plans will be back.

First off what are you basing this on? If you recall Verizon never said they would throttle people on 4G and that was prior to them changing all the plans and doing away with unlimited data. Even in the droid X days 5 gigs was common for medium users like myself. Verizon went to the plans because they are a business and they want to make money. Every other carrier did it but sprint. Verizon knows people prefer their service so they saw a chance to make more money (by plan limitations/data overages) in the age of everyone and their mother getting smartphones.

I have unlimited data. I did an alternative upgrade to get the S3 which renewed my previous contract for 2 years so for the next 2 years they are required to honor it. If they up and decide to drop grandfather'ed plans then they break my contract so I can walk away without penality.

I do agree with you about how when other networks get stronger unlimited will be back. Sprint LTE is likely 2 or 3 years from remotely being compared. Not really sure about others. Point is, high data users do not weigh down the network like everyone seems to think.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Good thread here. I just switched to an S3 from a bb 9930 with unlimited. My biggest concern is the 2 gb allowance. What are some of the worst data hogs on this device? Or any device for that matter...

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Good thread here. I just switched to an S3 from a bb 9930 with unlimited. My biggest concern is the 2 gb allowance. What are some of the worst data hogs on this device? Or any device for that matter...

Movies and streaming Radio are the data hogs...Apps syncing uses minuscule amounts of data that only add up to a few MB over a months time. I use WiFi 90% of the time, and am at 400MB of data after 17 days this month. I'm on a 2GB plan...Dropped it from a 4GB plan.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Did the same, went from 9930 to sgs3. Data use went from under 500mb per month to about 2.5gb average the last two months. If you use Dropbox, make sure you have upload on wifi-only checked. A 3 minute video shot on highest quality on the sgs3 is almost a half gig.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I had an almost identical situation. I was running an incredible 2 on unlimited data and got offered an upgrade to the S3 but had to switch my data plan. I didn't think it would be a big deal and didn't figure in would ever go over on data usage.
I was wrong.
I didn't realize how much I actually relied on that unlimited data plan.
Now I have to worry all month about going over on data, and my bill has gone up almost 30$ from trying to stay on top of my data. Before I never gave it a thought. Now I'm living in fear. Lol.
My advice, do whatever you can to keep your plan the way it is.
It's possibly the most important part of your plan. Especially if you get an S3. Just my opinion.
Good luck!

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wait a second, so are you saying I can upgrade for a new phone on the secondary line (I'm on a familyshare plan) for the discounted price of the phone, and then replace the phone on my primary line with the new phone I just got for the secondary line, all while keeping the same unlimited data plan on the primary line? That would seem like the best result to me -- keep the unlimited data and get a discounted phone.

Yes, that is correct. Only the upgraded line would lose unlimited data. You can switch phones between lines at any time.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIII

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I just got a phone upgrade through Verizon last week and I didn't lose my unlimited data plan. It is possible for you to keep it if you have a second phone on your account that doesn't have the unlimited plan. There are forums here that explain it.

I'm using a lot more data now that I have my LG Intuition than I did with my Blackberry. The phone just gives me so many more reasons to go online. You might find the same thing when you get your S3.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hey all, I am currently a Verizon customer and have a BlackBerry 9930. I am contemplating making the switch to a Samsung Galaxy S3, but have some questions regarding the data plan. I have an unlimited data plan now. It is my understanding that if I upgrade with a subsidized phone, I will lose the unlimited data plan and will have to select a monthly allowance. However, if I purchase a non-contract phone or one from a 3rd party or reseller, I do not have to renew my contract and change data plans.

So, my question is this: Just how valuable is the unlimited data plan? Is it worth spending hundreds of dollars more on a full priced phone? If I had to switch to a monthly allowance, what plan would I want or need. I imagine I will be using substantially more data than I was with the BlackBerry, but I have no idea what is typical. I'll certainly be using email and web browsing, perhaps the occasional streaming and skyping too.

Thanks!

1. You WILL use more data on an Android device than you ever dreamed of on BB. Part of it is how BB compresses their own data on the network, part of it is just how much more data-intensive stuff you can do on Android.

2. Please note that even if purchasing through a 3rd party re-seller (like Best Buy or Amazon), you will still have to renew your contract using the tiered data plans if you buy at the subsidized rate.

3. Most "average" users will actually be fine on the 2GB or 4GB plan -- but it depends a lot on your usage, availability of wifi to offload data to, etc.

Since I am a single person with no one to "Share" my data with, it would actually cost me a bit more to switch.

Sure, wifi is great alternative and even though I still have Unlimited data I use it whenever I can...but it certainly isn't available every where I take my phone! Heck, I don't even have access to wifi at work.

"The people who refuse to give it up are actually the ones who caused verizon to get rid of the plans." ... not necessarily. I typically use around 4GB per month average, so I'm still well within what Verizon considered an acceptable limit -- I just preferred to keep my contract as is as long as I'm allowed to do that.

Some of these points are valid, however it stinks that as mobile data becomes faster and the phones and apps become better and better that we are suddenly restricted on how much we can use them.

To be fair, it's not exactly the same. No one is asking to start a NEW contract with unlimited data here, just extend the current contract we already have -- which, as is written into our contracts, we have the right to do once the 2-year term is up on a month-to-month basis.

Now, it is important to note (and the OP may want to notice this as well), that under the terms of the contract, Verizon may very well at some point cancel all grandfathered unlimited data plans, and they'd be within their contractual rights to do so. In other words, just because Verizon is allowing folks to keep their unlimited data for now with unsubsidized phones, they may not do that in the future if you're past the original term of your contract.

Unlimited plans won't be back anytime soon. It's not about competition, it's about spectrum. Verizon and the other carriers only have a finite amount of bandwidth to use, and the capped plans are their way making sure people don't abuse the limited bandwidth they have. Also, as demand for bandwidth increases, no doubt carriers unfortunately see that as an opportunity to make money.

jctuchman

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thought I"d let you all know that I decided to get a CPO Galaxy S3 32gb from Verizon at full price ($450) so I could keep my unlimited plan. I am happy with the result as I can view movies and stream without worrying. Although I paid about $200 more for the device, I figure I will save in the long run because of the unlimited data plan. Thanks for all of your helpful responses!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon