My one major complaint about the Galaxy S3

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I'm the only one that doesn't like this but the gallery folder situation. Why are there soooooooooo many picture folders in the gallery??? Is there any way I can combine all of pics in just one folder? If I want to send someone a pic, I have to search at least 10 minutes for it in all these folders. This gets on my every nerve. I still love the phone and can live with this minor issue but if there is a way to fix this, I'd love to know how.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is a "fix", but from the main gallery you can touch menu, then "view by" and restrict the views to photos on the device, in facebook albums, or picasa. When I view all, I have at least 60 albums, which despite my best intentions will probably never be organized.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That didn't help much for me because I don't have Facebook so when I tried that it was only "show content in device" and there were still so many folders. I wanna scream. I like for all my pics to be in one folder. Sheesh! Thanks for the help though man

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and my girlfriend sleeps on the couch.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
That didn't help much for me because I don't have Facebook so when I tried that it was only "show content in device" and there were still so many folders. I wanna scream. I like for all my pics to be in one folder. Sheesh! Thanks for the help though man

Couldn't you just move all your pics to one folder?

Cappurnikus

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
The camera puts all pics in one location. If you're only looking at locally stored pics and still have lots of folders, it wasn't the gs3 that caused the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't you just move all your pics to one folder?
I wish I could. Either ICS just separates the pics by how they were acquired, like "download, camera, screenshot, Twitter" etc. I just want them to all be in one folder.

The camera puts all pics in one location. If you're only looking at locally stored pics and still have lots of folders, it wasn't the gs3 that caused the problem.

The pics are technically in one place.. The "Gallery" but within the gallery there are separated folders and if I don't know what folder the pic is in that I want to see, I have to search each folder for it. If they were in one folder then it would be way easier. If this helps u understand my problem a little better. It most likely not the phone like u said so I guess my actual problem is with ICS because my Evo 3D w/ gingerbread stored all my pics in one folder.

Cappurnikus

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
If you use a file manager and place the pics into a single folder, that is how they will appear in your gallery.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess I could do that but I was soooo hoping for something easier and less time consuming. This is probably my best bet though. Thanks

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried QuickPic? It allows you to blacklist/whitelist folders for browsing.
I don't use the stock Gallery for this reason, as all of my music albums that have artwork show up as folders.

Last edited:

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried QuickPic? It allows you to blacklist/whitelist folders for browsing.
I don't use the stock Gallery for this reason, as all of my that have artwork show up as folders.

Yo bruh you saved my life! Thank you. I created a new folder and just moved all the pics there. You're officially the man! Thanks again

hrbarnett

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Are you kidding? That's the only thing that bugs you about having a new 450$ - or was it 550$ plus a 240$/yr min. manditory data plan, Galaxy 3?

Well mine came with no spell-checker - the craziest words appear when I or anyone types no matter how carefully one types (swipe sorta works well to prevent this by the way), but worse, is constantly having things acivated that I ddin't intend. Things close in the browser unintendedly, links get accessed when just trying to scroll around, it's a frustrating ex[erience all around.

Things I've never used in my life - but closed countless times - are constantly open or running, presumably draining the short lived power time. I'd be happy to have a phone that works, I just can't believe the gap betwen the hype and the letdown of this phone or its OS, which maybe the whole problem, it's near worthless. It really does more to frustrate than it seems to give back in terms of beign a portable source of info. I say I almost wish I had a standard phone again, but what I'd really like is a smart phone that works, ( my carrier doesnt offer iPhones or I'd try that, the idea of open source or whatever these androids are supposed to have that's better than apples' is great, if you like being exposed to stuff that can hurt you and ruing your phone. ).
Have you ever tried to type anything- what hapens there?
Ever tried to get on the web,? I give up pretty quick and go to a computer.

I think these phones are for just quick abbrivated use when out away from your desk.

I empathisze w/ you, the gallery is buggy. Real buggy. First thing mine did was upload my old Picasa albums, the five I had made yeaes ago, I was so charmed to see these images. But then 80% don't show, ...what? Yeah, 3 of the 5 are all blank, w/ place holders for each image no less, and the other 2 have maybe half the images.
Just like you, now there's multiple places for "camera" photos, even some taken in the same sitting are in two different places.

You're right to be frustrated, but there's a whole lot more wrong than just the gallery. As mentioned above with excessive running programs, how do you turn off a programs you've never used? I've turned off these things repeatedly - ( I dont need "Stock Daemon(EUR)" and never have. I used to turn it off, but whats the use, it's always on in the "Running" apps in Application manager, along with a bunch of other stuff I've either never used or used once used in December and it's still running? I've "stopped" them, "Killed" them with various apps and they're always shown as running in Application Mgr. Speaking of App manager, why's it open w/ downloaded view - why not Runnning view so one can close things? Fer god sakes, it's only 9:44 am and I'm down to 76% of the battery, haven't made a single call, sent 4-5 texts and searched this topic of the scattered gallery. Perhaps that's what used all the battery, it did keep loosing my serach, maybe 12 times and coming up with searches that went to unrealted issues in the history. Although I have heard of the things (Sam G3's) running down by lunch sitting unused in a persons drawer at work, I leave mine plugged in half the day (and spend the other half the day makinng sure data is turned off so it won't use the whole allotment on its own with out me even touching it)

This phone is just plain terribe. Maybe it's good for one's who struggled with earlier versions that were worse, but for a first time user, it takes all of ones time to get nowhere!

hrbarnett

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
wanna bet? I took pictures at a short event and later found them in two separate places in the galllery: One just called " camera" , another was has a folder icon and is also called "camera". What gives? I didn't do anything to store these, it was a busy wresting match and I was busy trying to keep up w/ the goings on. Why are they in diffferent places, i thought some were deleted or gone, I found them by accident a week later when i noted the 2nd " camera" location. Hate this buggy android, that's fpor sure, and this is the least of its problems

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Things I've never used in my life - but closed countless times - are constantly open or running, presumably draining the short lived power time. I'd be happy to have a phone that works, I just can't believe the gap betwen the hype and the letdown of this phone or its OS, which maybe the whole problem, it's near worthless. It really does more to frustrate than it seems to give back in terms of beign a portable source of info. I say I almost wish I had a standard phone again, but what I'd really like is a smart phone that works, ( my carrier doesnt offer iPhones or I'd try that, the idea of open source or whatever these androids are supposed to have that's better than apples' is great, if you like being exposed to stuff that can hurt you and ruing your phone. ).

As a first-time Android user, you don't understand how Android works.

from Droid Den:

Understanding The Android Way

aka ?Android is not your Windows PC?

In order to understand why a task killer is not required with android, we must give an explanation about how android works, how it manages tasks, and indeed what a task actually is.

Android is a multitasking operating system, it was built from the ground up with the ethos of not having to kill tasks ground into its methodology. The designers intentionally left out a task killer and ways to close apps. Just think about this for a second. You gmail app is an app designed by google, but you don?t see a close button anywhere do you? In fact I bet a lot of people don?t know its even running (we will define ?running? later). Google did not want to burden the mobile user with having to close applications when they are ?done? with them. They decided to do this on the basis that a mobile user will repeatedly and briefly interact with a wide variety of applications throughout the day.

Think about your own usage for a minute, I know that this stands true for me, as it will 99.9% of you out there. We use our mobiles on and off, jumping from app to app. For instance, send sms, call friend, check facebook, play a game, make a note, check the weather, etc, etc. Sound familiar? It ought to, as mentioned this is how we use mobiles, and the list can literally go on an on and on.

Ok so we now understand why google decided not to include exit options, or task killer applications. But it?s going to take more than that to convince you right? Lets drop down a level and discuss what exactly happens when you leave (press home or back) an application. Within android applications, there are two fundamental things you should be aware of, an application, and a process. These two concepts are together what make up an application, and are key to understanding why a task killer is not required.

What Is a Process?

A process is an activity that can be performed by 1 or more applications. When you think of an application actually doing something, for example playing music, posting a message to facebook or syncing your rss feed, these are processes. However, it is important to note that just because a process exists, does not mean it may be actually; doing anything. If you like, it may be easier to say that processes may be in an idle or active state.

What Is an Application?

An application is something that makes use of many different processes to provide you with some wanted functionality. For example, the official facebook or twitter apps. An application may also be idle or active, depending if it has any active processes currently associated with it.

When you leave an application, that application is allowed to keep its process running in the background (true multitasking) allowing it to carry on doing whatever work it needs to do. For example continue to download the rest of a webpage or playing music. However, just because an application leaves processes ?running? in the background, does not mean they are actually doing anything at all. They are being kept in memory just in case you are going to use them again soon. Many people cite this as a battery drain, nothing could be further from the truth however. Storing a footprint of an application in memory uses exactly the same amount of battery as it would if that section of memory is free. If you continue to open applications, then more of your memory will be used.

Eventually there will be no memory left, time to use a task killer? No! Android is smart enough to recognise when it is running low on available memory, and will start to close those apps that it deems are low priority. The way it determines priority means that those apps you have used least, and are not core to the phone will be closed down first. This does not include apps that are currently in the foreground, or as mentioned core apps such as the clock alarm. When android does close apps itself to free up memory, it does this in a very clever way in that the next time a closed app is reopened, it will restore it as if it had never been closed in the first place (this is similar to what iOS actually calls it?;s main multitasking, laughable I know).

The key point to take from the above is, that task killers are completely not required, and actually interfere with how the android os works under the hood.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't use the stock Gallery for this reason, as all of my that have artwork show up as folders.

Late response to this post I realize, but here's a quick pro-tip:

create a blank file named ".nomedia" (notice the 'dot' in front of the file name) on the root of whatever folder you DON'T want to appear in the gallery app...and it won't.

As an example, using the "Root Explorer" app (pretty much any file explorer app should work fine), just navigate to the folder, press menu button and select "new file". Name file ".nomedia". Done. No pics in that folder will be displayed in the Gallery app.

Got *personal* photos on your phone you don't want your nosy friends to see? Have annoying folders from apps showing up in the gallery? Just do this and poof! all gone. You can still view the folder and the pics inside manually by browsing to them, just not via the gallery app. Simply delete the file if you want them to show up again.

EDIT: I *think* this trick will also prevent folders with ringtones, etc., from showing up in apps like Google Music. (i.e. system sounds you don't want popping into your shuffle).

Most apps will automatically include a .nomedia file if they create directories in user storage (when appropriate)...but not always.

Last edited:

ashley_45

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I need help. My phone (galaxy s3) doesn't have any type of editing photo option. Does anyone else have this problem? Did I get a bad phone? I think its because I have Verizon?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Late response to this post I realize, but here's a quick pro-tip:

create a blank file named ".nomedia" (notice the 'dot' in front of the file name) on the root of whatever folder you DON'T want to appear in the gallery app...and it won't.

As an example, using the "Root Explorer" app (pretty much any file explorer app should work fine), just navigate to the folder, press menu button and select "new file". Name file ".nomedia". Done. No pics in that folder will be displayed in the Gallery app.

Got *personal* photos on your phone you don't want your nosy friends to see? Have annoying folders from apps showing up in the gallery? Just do this and poof! all gone. You can still view the folder and the pics inside manually by browsing to them, just not via the gallery app. Simply delete the file if you want them to show up again.

EDIT: I *think* this trick will also prevent folders with ringtones, etc., from showing up in apps like Google Music. (i.e. system sounds you don't want popping into your shuffle).

Most apps will automatically include a .nomedia file if they create directories in user storage (when appropriate)...but not always.
:) I am well aware of this little trick. But here is the problem with it, as I recall:

1. We are talking about ~200 music album folders, in hierarchical file structure such as '/sdcard/Music/[artist]/[album]/[oggs plus hexfilename.jpg]'. I recall that placing a .nomedia file in a folder does not have a recursive result, so placing a .nomedia in /sdcard/Music would only hide images in the root music folder--not the 200 folders contained in it. You would have to manually add the dummy file to all folders where album art is contained. That's a nuisance and even though I know command fu to make it easier, I shouldn't have to and would not recommend it to another user in this case.

2. I also recall (I may be wrong here) that the .nomedia also hides music files from some players and apps. This really makes this a ridiculous way to hide cover art from Gallery when your music seems to disapper.

3. Getting back to the practical, most users should have an easy way to manage what to see and what not to see in an image viewer. The stock Gallery app simple does not provide an efficient means to do so. Up until ICS, I removed this POS completely and used QuickPic as a drop-in replacement because it does and is way less clunky.

4. It really bugs me that I cannot entirely remove Gallery.apk completely from my rooted ICS or JB device without losing additional functionality that I do need. What a POS to use as a dependency! Ooh... the new version bends and twists your album art into an infinite spiral for no functional purpose? Wow, the turd is so much more appealing now that they sprinkled it with more eye candy.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
:) I am well aware of this little trick. But here is the problem with it, as I recall:

1. We are talking about ~200 music album folders, in hierarchical file structure such as '/sdcard/Music/[artist]/[album]/[oggs plus hexfilename.jpg]'. I recall that placing a .nomedia file in a folder does not have a recursive result, so placing a .nomedia in /sdcard/Music would only hide images in the root music folder--not the 200 folders contained in it. You would have to manually add the dummy file to all folders where album art is contained. That's a nuisance and even though I know command fu to make it easier, I shouldn't have to and would not recommend it to another user in this case.

2. I also recall (I may be wrong here) that the .nomedia also hides music files from some players and apps. This really makes this a ridiculous way to hide cover art from Gallery when your music seems to disapper.

3. Getting back to the practical, most users should have an easy way to manage what to see and what not to see in an image viewer. The stock Gallery app simple does not provide an efficient means to do so. Up until ICS, I removed this POS completely and used QuickPic as a drop-in replacement because it does and is way less clunky.

4. It really bugs me that I cannot entirely remove Gallery.apk completely from my rooted ICS or JB device without losing additional functionality that I do need. What a POS to use as a dependency! Ooh... the new version bends and twists your album art into an infinite spiral for no functional purpose? Wow, the turd is so much more appealing now that they sprinkled it with more eye candy.

Yes, that's all correct, although the gallery *shouldn't* display album cover art from the default music folders anyway (I'm not sure how, but I do know that the Gallery app normally doesn't display these) -- and yes, placing a .nomedia file in your music folders would cause the music files themselves from being recognized by music players -- so obviously that trick isn't a solution in this case. Where it does come in handy is if, let's say you have a folder with some custom .mp3 ringtones in it that keep popping up when you're playing music on shuffle or something like that, you could place a .nomedia file in that folder to prevent the songs from being seen by your music player.

I realize this tip doesn't help the OP much, but just thought I'd pass it along for those that may find it useful. I know whenever friends and/or family members pick up my phone to "check it out" one of the first things they do is go right to the gallery. I personally find this rude, but I know it's gonna happen...so any directories I have with pics I don't necessarily want the public to see I just drop a .nomedia file in there, and then if I need access to those pics, I just browse to them via file explorer.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I see your point and there are a few instances where a .nomedia comes in handy.
QuickPic accommodates the user looking to be discreet by using hidden folders that can be password protected from within the app. These settings also effect the appearance or lack thereof in Gallery.

Scottyshao69

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You may just have to plug the phone into your computer and transfer all pics to one folder on the memory card. its what i had to do when i was having the same problem. Also i disconnected it from my google as each picture i took ended up being stored twice because of it.