What use is an SD Card on the GS3?

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I have searched Google and AC Forums among other forums and still an confused, I got a great deal on a GS3 16GB and purchased a 64GB micro sd. The phone recognizes the SD card and pictures are saving and showing on the card. However I notice I cannot "move to SD" any apps to save internal memory. I am an app hog and I admit it. I understand Samsung did something to make the SD card a secondary storage unit. How I am coming from a HTC Inc 2 that I used a 32GB SD card and it was 3 quarters full between app data, pictures, music, and movies. How can I utilize the SD card on the GS3? Should I immediately return and go buy the 32GB version instead???

Thanks to all for any help.

RxGadget
Samsung Galaxy S3 > HTC Inc 2 > Droid X2 > Droid X

c4manceph

May 20, 2010
Visit site
This came as a huge disappointment to me as well. That and the fact that there is an issue with Adobe Flash Player on this device. Not impressed!

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have searched Google and AC Forums among other forums and still an confused, I got a great deal on a GS3 16GB and purchased a 64GB micro sd. The phone recognizes the SD card and pictures are saving and showing on the card. However I notice I cannot "move to SD" any apps to save internal memory. I am an app hog and I admit it. I understand Samsung did something to make the SD card a secondary storage unit. How I am coming from a HTC Inc 2 that I used a 32GB SD card and it was 3 quarters full between app data, pictures, music, and movies. How can I utilize the SD card on the GS3? Should I immediately return and go buy the 32GB version instead???

RxGadget

At least you can save and/or move all your music, movies and pictures to the card. That would free up some space for apps but I know some games are pretty big files which makes things difficult. Make sure you set your options in the camera app to save files to the card.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Flash cut off support long ago I think ICS was its latest version support and that was limited to phones that were out at the time which I don't think the s3 was out when adobe killed it off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
This came as a huge disappointment to me as well. That and the fact that there is an issue with Adobe Flash Player on this device. Not impressed!

No new android phone will support Flash. Android is just like iOS in that regards now. It's not just Samsung. I did find you that you can install an old flash APK and it works just fine though.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

RxGadget

As an app hog go for the 32gb model.

Use the sd card for pics, videos, and music.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Its not android that doesn't support flash its adobe who won't support android

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Jim101

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
How do you move all your music etc. to the SD card? I am using Google Music..Once moved there does it allways go there? I too miss the app to SD....

Thanks,
Jim

c4manceph

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Guess what? That isnt the phones fault either. Adobe cut off support awhile back. If you sideload the player it works just fine

I actually wasn't blaming the device, Samsung, Android, or Adobe. Just voicing the disappointment. I came from the LG Optimus S, now there's a device with limitations. Fortunately, the solution to 98% of these shortcomings can be found here and xda. My smart phone always gets smarter as a result of the developers found in these places. <insert a great vote of thanks to the developers for their time, talent, and willingness to share their knowledge>

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Sorry then, you last statement lead me to think that you were blaming the device.

I agree with your statement there. I have a pretty intelligent phone out of the box, the devs make it a really smart phone

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
At least you can save and/or move all your music, movies and pictures to the card. That would free up some space for apps but I know some games are pretty big files which makes things difficult. Make sure you set your options in the camera app to save files to the card.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Yes app hog is what I am. I just found out that I am stuck with the 16GB unless I want to lose a ton of money over what I saved on the original purchase. I bought through Radio Shack because it was for $150 plus $50 Google Play credit. I asked them if the credit to Google Play works for devices "It works for everything that is sold on Google Play". NOPE. Got ahold of Google Rep on phone. Only a true means of purchase (i.e. Credit Card) can be used for Devices like the Nexus 7 I wanted. I ordered it on November 24th and THAT is when Verizon says my 14 day evaluation period started no matter that I received it on Friday morning the 30th. I am allowed to return to RS but they must put it in their system as returned before December 7th. Also, there is a restock fee of $35.
Bottom line, I am "stuck" with the GS3 16GB for I would lose the $50 discount getting the 32GB (Unless VZW re-added my NE2 I had). It could be worse as I still have a $50 GP credit that expires in 29 days so I can order any apps I want. If I do convince my wife to let me buy the Nexus 7 32GB, the credit would go for tablet apps for sure.

Thank you everyone for your comments and help. It is very appreciated.

RxGadget

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes app hog is what I am. I just found out that I am stuck with the 16GB unless I want to lose a ton of money over what I saved on the original purchase. I bought through Radio Shack because it was for $150 plus $50 Google Play credit. I asked them if the credit to Google Play works for devices "It works for everything that is sold on Google Play". NOPE. Got ahold of Google Rep on phone. Only a true means of purchase (i.e. Credit Card) can be used for Devices like the Nexus 7 I wanted. I ordered it on November 24th and THAT is when Verizon says my 14 day evaluation period started no matter that I received it on Friday morning the 30th. I am allowed to return to RS but they must put it in their system as returned before December 7th. Also, there is a restock fee of $35.
Bottom line, I am "stuck" with the GS3 16GB for I would lose the $50 discount getting the 32GB (Unless VZW re-added my NE2 I had). It could be worse as I still have a $50 GP credit that expires in 29 days so I can order any apps I want. If I do convince my wife to let me buy the Nexus 7 32GB, the credit would go for tablet apps for sure.

Thank you everyone for your comments and help. It is very appreciated.

RxGadget

Honestly, unless you run a lot of high-end games (and you may), you shouldn't have any problems. I have about 80 apps on mine right now, and they're not even using 1 GB of my internal storage. If you do like to run the bigger games, than yeah, you may have to keep an eye on things and uninstall older ones to make room for newer games. While this may be an annoyance to some, it really shouldn't be a huge deal either. Sure the 32 GB may have fit your needs better, but there are certainly worse devices to be "stuck with" than the 16 GB S3!

To your other point RE: the Google Play gift card, I got a $25 credit when I bought my Nexus 7 over the summer. Besides devices, keep in mind that unless they've changed their policy, you also cannot use it for subscription services (i.e. magazines). Wasn't a big deal for me, as I had known that before I got it, but just something to be aware of. I used mine to finally get the tablet version of Slingplayer, plus a few other apps I had my eye on.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, unless you run a lot of high-end games (and you may), you shouldn't have any problems. I have about 80 apps on mine right now, and they're not even using 1 GB of my internal storage. If you do like to run the bigger games, than yeah, you may have to keep an eye on things and uninstall older ones to make room for newer games. While this may be an annoyance to some, it really shouldn't be a huge deal either. Sure the 32 GB may have fit your needs better, but there are certainly worse devices to be "stuck with" than the 16 GB S3!

To your other point RE: the Google Play gift card, I got a $25 credit when I bought my Nexus 7 over the summer. Besides devices, keep in mind that unless they've changed their policy, you also cannot use it for subscription services (i.e. magazines). Wasn't a big deal for me, as I had known that before I got it, but just something to be aware of. I used mine to finally get the tablet version of Slingplayer, plus a few other apps I had my eye on.

Sticking with the 16GB. I have about 85 to 90 apps and using just over 2GB with 8 GB left since 16GB minus Verizon crap minusSamsung extras = 10GB total useable on device max.
But such is life. I will have to learn what to use regularly and not use. At least the videos and pictures go automatically to the true SD card. I am not sure about documents or any downloads some of which I just keep on Dropbox or Google Drive.

SDQB17

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to intrude on this thread, but no sense in starting a new one just for a question...I just got my S3 today, what is the correct type of 16 or 32 gb micro sd card to buy...is there a certain type or are they all the same ? Thanks !

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
SDQB17 The higher the class #...the faster the read/write speed. If you plan on rooting and putting your apps on your SD card, then I would suggest a Class 10, so your performance doesn't take a hit (things like high frame rate games) There are several reports of SGS3s eating cards, I think Sandisk seems to keep coming up in those discussions. I've had a Patriot Class 10 32GB card for the last 2 months with zero issues. I've only used it for my music and photo storage, as I was unrooted until this morning, but I think I will be changing that soon.

I could be wrong on my understanding with the cards, but that's my take on things from what I've read.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a SanDisk 64gig Ultra class 10 SDXC in mine. I DID NOT format it.
I took the battery out before putting it in, just in case.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I still have a few days to return my 16 gig S3 and was thinking about going for the 32 gig one and just spend the extra 50 bucks. Has anyone ever really used that much space though? I'm not an app hog or anything but I didn't want to be limited by any means in case I do download some stuff. Is going for the 32 gig worth it?

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and my girlfriend sleeps on the couch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair