Jelly Bean Issues After Update

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I?ve noticed that the JB update changed a lot of my settings. So far, I?ve noticed that it changed the screen timeout from 1 minute to 30 seconds and checked the box to always vibrate when I receive a text message. It also made my home button close apps and return to the home screen when I just wanted it to wake up the phone.

It?s very annoying that I would have to readjust my settings after a software upgrade. Google and Verizon should be embarrassed.

What setting is it for that last one about waking up the phone. I do not see that anywhere and it is definitely an annoying change

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is garbage... not noticing any other bugs but the battery life is so bad!

Sent from my S3 on ACS

I went from getting WELL over a day of usage with moderate-heavy usage, often times not even bothering to charge it overnight, to getting 12 hours of the phone sitting in my car while I'm working and going from 100 to a dead battery when I get out. My stay awake time for 13 hours of battery usage is 12h and 31s...

claws00

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have that issue too. I became feed up with it not showing that I unchecked the notification box within Yahoo Mail and have started manually checking it.

jhag47

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Google Now voice comands don't work if my bluetooth is connected (Motorola Elite Sliver). When I say "Google" the screen says "Initializing" for 15-20 seconds and then says "Can't reach Google at the moment, Retry". In fact all speech to text functions no longer work when my bluetooth is connected. If I turn the bluetooth off, Google Now (and all speech to text functions) works flawlessly and it's pretty amazing. This is a real pain since I use my bluetooth all day, every day.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I can tell my battery is taking a nose dive, lost about 10% in the past 20 minutes, this should be fun

I tried just about everything mentioned on a few forums such as adjusting screen brightness, turning off motion controls, disabling location information in Maps, etc., and nothing really worked. Last night, I went into Google Now and clicked on "show sample cards", and edited the settings for each category such that they weren't constantly checking for sports updates, checking for traffic on my commute to and from work and every other "favorite" place I had saved, etc.. I've noticed my "stay awake" time isn't as high now. It's too early to tell if this fixed it (for me personally, at least), but I think it might have.

HolyBuckeye

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't even gone into Google Now yet...it sounds like it's a good reason why it drians..

If I haven't gone into it yet or done anything with it, is it still running in the background and checking for things?

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
No, it doesn't do anything until you enable and configure it. At least I don't see it doing anything, and I have no plans to do anything with it at this point.

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
No, it doesn't do anything until you enable and configure it. At least I don't see it doing anything, and I have no plans to do anything with it at this point.

This is half true from my experience. Once you enable it (the little pop-up box that comes up the first time you open it), it will configure itself without you doing anything and will become self-aware. It noticed the weather I was googling, the locations I was looking for on maps, the team scores I checked, and based on the browsing history it created cards of it's own that it was auto checking and updating every few minutes. I wasn't even using navigation on my way to work and I saw a card say "there is a 5 minute delay on your route to work", which leads me to believe it does these things unless you alter the default settings to stop it, as I did.

Shoesmom

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You guys will call me nuts but I'm so comfortable with ICS and reading all these issues you folks are dealing with make me even more happy that I stayed with it. It sucks to have a great phone but you can't get it to perform how you want it to because of issues from an update that was supposed to make your phone perform better. All the "buttery smoothness" doesn't seem worth all the hassle I'm reading that the majority of you are going through. I've never been the type to jump on something just because of the hype. Let the kinks get worked out and I'll mess with it when it's tweaked. Just my opinion of course but I'm in absolutely no rush to get rid of ICS at the moment.

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

I couldn't agree more! However, last night the Verizon gremlins came while I was sleeping and updated my phone to Jelly Bean anyway :(

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This is half true from my experience. Once you enable it (the little pop-up box that comes up the first time you open it), it will configure itself without you doing anything and will become self-aware. It noticed the weather I was googling, the locations I was looking for on maps, the team scores I checked, and based on the browsing history it created cards of it's own that it was auto checking and updating every few minutes. I wasn't even using navigation on my way to work and I saw a card say "there is a 5 minute delay on your route to work", which leads me to believe it does these things unless you alter the default settings to stop it, as I did.

Ah, you enabled it. If you don't enable it (I mention configuring simply because that would allow you to make it do what you want it to do if you were to enable it *smile*), Google Now doesn't do anything. If you are going to enable it, yes, you'll need to configure it, or it will do whatever it is configured by default to do, which isn't likely to be exactly what you'd like. However, if you don't enable it in the first place, it won't do anything on your phone.

pacdog1171

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Cannot connect to computer via usb. All I get is a charging symbol. No mtp/ptp option. Anyone else having this issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

pacdog1171

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'll try the cable that came with the phone. Unfortunately I take pictures with my phone for work and update them to case files. My company prevents employees from downloading any software or drivers onto their computers. Never had to download drivers with ics.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums