Using the Verizon GS3 with an international sim card.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I love spending lots of money to go overseas just to spend most of the time trying to get data working on my S3......

I understand being able to make and receive calls but there is no need for data unless your more interested in whats going on in fb.. You cant wait until you get to a wifi spot?

tyson.clarke

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
What if you've moved?

You can always wait to get to a wifi hotspot. Then again, you can have a basic phone and a computer too.

I love spending lots of money to go overseas just to spend most of the time trying to get data working on my S3......

I understand being able to make and receive calls but there is no need for data unless your more interested in whats going on in fb.. You cant wait until you get to a wifi spot?

R3dM0nd

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
okay sounds stupid, but i was wondering if anyone has had success in rooting their gs3 to use on a different american network, such as tmobile. I'm sick of paying verizon extreme amounts of money when, a switch to tmobile would save me tons. only issue i'm having is the phone, as i've looked for a gs3 on tmobile and they sell for higher than the gs3's from verizon so there is a price differece i dont want to pay. so if i switch the apn, can i get data to work on tmobile.

lagerburger

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Here are my experiences roaming using Samsung Phone roaming with another SIM around Asia Pacific (APAC). Summary: It works fine for both voice and data. I only have an issue with not being able to see which network I am roaming on.

I recently upgraded from iPhone to Samsung S3 4G (model GT-I9305T) with Jelly Bean 4.1.1. I have not rooted it. [I wish they'd chosen a better name as this mean something else in Australia] I got the Samsung in Australia (AU) as an upgrade to Australian mobile account I still have an use when in AU. However, I live in Singapore (SG). I am able to get HSPA and 3G data fine in SG with my SG SIM card (post-paid). I am able to roam around APAC (Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, ...) with my SG SIM card in my Samsung phone getting voice and 3G data ok.

LTE roaming is an issue due to the disgusting mess of different frequency spectrums used in different regions. I knew about the LTE roaming issue before I got the phone. SingTel in SG operates 2 frequencies for LTE. One is common with AU so I can at least enjoy LTE in SG and AU. So no surprise there.

I have not tried using SIM cards from countries other than SG. But given it works with SG SIM card, then I expect it will work with others too.

What I am struggling with is determining which network I am on, and being able to select the roaming network of my choice with Android JB. When I go to Settings->Wireless and networks->Mobile Netowrks->Network Operators, every entry says either SingTel (UMTS), or SingTel (GERAN), or SingTel (LTE). In SG we have SingTel, M1, Starhub mobile operators. The 3 real SingTel entries say "current network" or "available network", but all the others say "forbidden network". I expect the forbidden state for other networks as no roaming between operators within SG. But I would expect the names to be M1 (UTMS), ... Why they are not I am still trying to solve. Anyone know of a fix?

Similarly when I go overseas and roam, all the entries are SingTel (UTMS), SingTel (GERAN), ... I can select anyone available and roaming works fine for Voice and Data. But for some reason Android does not display the correct network name. I have downloaded several apps for monitoring mobile and WiFi network signals. All say SingTel network. Even when I am roaming and definitely not on a SingTel network, it still says SingTel. Anyone know of a fix?

I am still getting use to Android even after 3-4 months. Perhaps I am missing some simple setting hidden somewhere.

Aznmr6

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
This worked great when I was in Hong Kong using a verizon s3. I was already root before I arrived. I was connected to Cmhk. Thanks Madison.

WRX13

May 22, 2013
Visit site
For those who got this to work, are you getting 3g speeds? I have an AT&T SIM in my Verizon GS3 and I can only get Edge data speeds. This process worked to some extent for me, because before this I could get no data with the AT&T SIM. But I want 3g/4g! I appreciate any advice.

No, I actually can't wait until I get to a wifi spot. I'll be in London and Dublin for 4 days each and just as I do when I travel in the US, I plan to use my phone for reviews and directions of places I find along the way. I find it invaluable to have access to reviews and suggestions for restaurants and other business while I am on the go--if I didn't have my smartphone with me, I wouldn't have seen the Lagunitas and Bear Republic breweries on my trip to California.

WRX13

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Confirming this worked in England and Ireland with O2 and Three as my carriers respectively. My speed tests were horrible, 2-3 mb/s at best and .5-1mb/s on average, though actual-use speeds felt like solid 3G.

When I click on "Click to AutoSet APNs", I get the following message: Sorry, no suitable apn info for your sim card, operator is 311480.

I'm not sure what that means. Will it change when I put in the third party sim card (I'm on Verizon and in the US right now)?

Yes, this is because you still have the Verizon SIM in the phone. I'm not quite sure why it does this, but any time I tried to set the APN with my Verizon SIM, I got this as well. Once you put in a non-Verizon SIM there should be no issues.

Leigh Reed II

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Here is the way you do it it works!!!!
*Join Date: Aug 2006Location: Nord RomaniaAge: 32Posts: 109*Member: 323481*Status:*OfflineThanks Meter: 14Unlock Verizon Galaxy S3 i535 as World GSM Phone - simplified method1.You need to root your phone if you want to have data conections if not skip this step.How to root instructions you have here:*[GUIDE] For beginners - Root Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-i535/d2vzw - xda-developers2.From Google Play store install the following apps if you do not have them: APN Manager Pro (81 Square), Phone Info (sc@taiwan), Titanium Backup Pro.*3 Turn off phone, pull out battery and put in micro SIM from your foreign country.4. Use Phone Info app to change preferred network type "Global" or "Gsm only" (click on Device Information and scroll down to the first box to change). Some have reported that other choices were needed for their providers, so you may have to experiment.5. Reboot phone. You should have the SIM card working for phone calls.6. In Titanium Backup Pro, go to Backup/Restore, find and ?long select? APN Manager Pro, and then select ?Convert to system app?.7. Open APN Manager Pro, select Insert APN, and input the data needed from your desired service provider.*8. Reboot phone. You should have the SIM card working for phone and data.9. Remove notification*"NON-VERIZON SIM" :*Using Titanium Backup, delete(uninstall) or freeze an app called Setup wizard 1.0 (its icon is a red check mark with a magic wand) and that should remove the notification10. Enjoy.*

shirokuma777

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Code:
Well, I was ill today, so I stayed inside the hotel and managed to get data working.  Here ya go:

1)  ROOT THE PHONE
First, I rooted the phone (as well as gave it an unlocked bootloader), which I've never done before...  I did it using this xda guide... and followed every step.  I chose the ClockWork recovery mod.
It wasn't bad if you read over the steps, familiarize oneself with the video, and read through the steps again.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2046439

Download Titanium Backup Pro via Google Play store
Download HiAPN Global via Google Play store

2) Use Titanium Backup Pro to turn HiAPN Global into a system app
-- you do this by going to the Backup/Restore tab, and LONG HOLD on "HiAPN Global", and then choose "Convert to system app"

3) Open up HiAPN Global, and choose "Click to AutoSet APNs"
-- here, you're possibly done!

Note:
-- HiAPN will ask you if you want to blow away the other APNs in the list... it recommends blowing away the old list... a couple of comments here.
I don't think it matters either way, 'cause I tried both ways... it, in my case figures out the information (I guess) from the Entel servers, and writes the APN entries into the list.  If you choose the option to blow away the APN entries prior to writing the new ones, it will delete all of the Verizon settings.  You can get the Verizon settings back by choosing the menu option (the only menu option in the APN Settings screen) called "Reset to default."  I've tested this, and it brings back the Verizon settings.  You can also, like I did, choose to backup the APN settings using HiAPN or other APN programs which will store a private backup of those settings just in case.
-- I've also tried using the APN settings found in "Offline SIM APN Database Pro", as well as "Tweakker" (which I was able to install via Aptoide, 'cause Google Play says it is incompatible), and then entered the APN settings in via APN Manager Pro (after having converted it to a System App)... well, all I can say is that I don't think this is necessary to manually enter the data if HiAPN works for you... it just magically finds the correct settings from the operator, and BTW, they weren't exactly the same (but very similar) as the others I had found using the other apps.  Though, the other settings had worked, I suspect the most correct settings will be through HiAPN.

I'm currently able to use data in Santiago using Entel.

Thanks (not!) Verizon...[/QUOTE]

I originally tried with APN Manager Pro.  My SIM wasn't working.  After I switched to HiAPN, it worked!

Thanks for your post. You saved me much grief!

pherdie

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Im from the philippines and i received a GS3 from verizon as a gift. I get the constant notification that the sim is a non verizon sim card. i open the notifications tab and tap and hold on the notification to get the app info the i hit clear the data to get the message/notification off.

Regarding getting data to work, you need to manually enter the apn settings. you need to change the network mode in settings (i think its set by default to Global) i change dmine to GSM/UMTS. after that i am able to add apn settings then when i go back to Global mode, the APN is still there and its selected. You just probably need to get the APN settings from the carrier or maybe google it. Hope this helps.

Now i just need to get my sms to work properly when replying to international format numbers then im all set

MelanieKM

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon S3 I just picked up from the US and am in Asia now, everything worked on it except for the data.. however what I did was google the SIM card user I have and found their APN details. Thus you go to settings, more settings, mobile networks, access point names, and then click the bottom left button and click to add new. Viola. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech