Using the Verizon GS3 with an international sim card.

dajmeister

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

My girlfriend is visiting me here in England with her Verizon Galaxy S3. We just updated it to 4.1.1 via the official OTA, and were trying to use it with a Vodafone sim card that she was using previously with an English HTC Wildfire S.

The GS3 connects to the Vodafone network and will receive SMS sent to the UK number but doesn't connect to Vodafone's data network. (if we put the sim back in the wildfire S it connects to data just fine).

I was thinking I might have to enter APN settings, but on the GS3 when the Vodafone sim card is in the APN settings list is blank and there is no option to add new ones.

Any ideas?

Thanks

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Is her phone rooted? Also you said text is working fine, are voice calls working fine too?

I assume the data isn't working because the GS3 does not have the right MHz frequencies as vodaphone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Like Michael said above make sure that voda phone uses the same frequencies that youre phone is capable of (850/1900)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

DrPreeth

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought the Verizon S3 also had a quad band GSM radio.. I.e 850/900/1900/2100

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Like Michael said above make sure that voda phone uses the same frequencies that youre phone is capable of (850/1900)

Its got all the gsm and umts frequencies needed...quad band for both....check to make sure you have roaming data enabled because your roaming on usa carriers here...just a thought

dajmeister

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I did try it with data roaming turned on, but no dice. The phone says not roaming when it is connected with the Vodafone sim. We are going to goto a Vodafone store and try and get a new micro sim rather than the old one that i cut down.

James Changstein

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I travel overseas often and it would make my day if the SIII will work on a different network. I am tired of carrying two phones...

With this new 4.1.1 update, is the phone in theory supposed to work with a new SIM card? Will it have to be WCDMA network? Does it have to be unlocked by Verizon first?

Please keep us posted with your findings with Vodafone.

Cheers

dajmeister

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I talked to verizon global roaming support, and the agent said that it is unlocked out of the box and should work with another sim. But I'm pretty sure that entering the APN's is the problem, as I can't find a way to enter apns without rooting the phone.

James Changstein

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, mate.....

If it's unlocked, it should pick up the apn setting from the SIM card automatically. I have just returned from Asia where I simply popped a SIM in my unlocked Nexus 7. All the configuration was automatic, I didn't have to change the apn at all. All I did was agreeing to the user agreement via the 3g connection that came on soon after the SIM was inserted.

Maybe you can share your experience with a new SIM from Vodafone? I'd appreciate it... I am off to Asia again in 4 weeks.

Cheers,

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, im going to the Cayman islands for a few days and am going to try swaping sim cards there. Ill report back findings on Thursday.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Those here that report this working, are you getting micro SIM cards straight from these other international carriers or are you cutting them down from larger SIM cards?

Edit: oops just read above that the SIM card was cut down from a larger one. I just ordered a SIM card cutter from amazon, we will see how well that works

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

chachazlo

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

My girlfriend is visiting me here in England with her Verizon Galaxy S3. We just updated it to 4.1.1 via the official OTA, and were trying to use it with a Vodafone sim card that she was using previously with an English HTC Wildfire S.

The GS3 connects to the Vodafone network and will receive SMS sent to the UK number but doesn't connect to Vodafone's data network. (if we put the sim back in the wildfire S it connects to data just fine).

I was thinking I might have to enter APN settings, but on the GS3 when the Vodafone sim card is in the APN settings list is blank and there is no option to add new ones.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Do you also get the "Non-Verizon Sim: This sim card is not supported" constant message in the notification bar?

v1ncestah

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Do you also get the "Non-Verizon Sim: This sim card is not supported" constant message in the notification bar?

I've been in Vietnam for the past month and a week and before the 4.1.1 update my GS3 would not accept the SIM card I put in with this message in the notif. bar. Now with the update I tried it again and the my phone works with the SIM but still it says "Non-Verizon Sim: This sim card is not supported" but now im able to make calls.

DrPreeth

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been in Vietnam for the past month and a week and before the 4.1.1 update my GS3 would not accept the SIM card I put in with this message in the notif. bar. Now with the update I tried it again and the my phone works with the SIM but still it says "Non-Verizon Sim: This sim card is not supported" but now im able to make calls.
Are you getting data access?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar