Question about backup assistant.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So, I had a few questions about the program backup assistant that came on my phone. So i know that it backs up my pictures, videos, contacts and music. Supposedly. I have it set to backup only when iam connected to wifi and it seems to be doing so successfully, but whenever it backs up, it saves extra copies of my pictures and videos in another folder in my gallery. so ill have two copies of each backed up picture or video. Why is that? I thought that it saved it to my email..? My question is, if I delete those duplicate copies will it erase the backed up ones too? I don't have much experience with this app since I never used it before I had my S3.
It does the same thing with my music that isn't saved onto my Sd card. I really don't want to have useless duplicate pictures hogging up my limited storage. Can I safely delete them?
Also, if I did do a factory reset (post Jelly bean update) how exactly do I retrieve them?
If someone could help me with this but would greatly appreciate it. I am somewhat of inexperience, before my S3 I never had anything more recent than gingerbread on my phone. So I'm still learning the ins and outs of what my phone can do.
Thanks
Nick

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It's not actually creating a duplicate copy of the photos on your phone. It is just grouping them into a new album called backup assistant so that you know the photos have been backed up. Hit menu and choose to view only local photos and that album will not show.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense except that the photos are grouped in 2 separate, the "camera" folder and the " backup " folder. Even if it doesn't take up space can I safely delete them? I'm kinda OCD and I hate the clutter. Also, when u go to menu and look it doesn't give me a local option.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Backup assistant plus is not compatible for media and apps with the GS3. Only for contacts. Gonna have to use a different backup platform for your phone.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Backup assistant plus is not compatible for media and apps with the GS3. Only for contacts. Gonna have to use a different backup platform for your phone.

Not true. I actually had trouble getting it to stop backing up all my photos. I don't use it, I use Dropbox auto-upload. In the backup assistant menu you can select photos, videos, contacts as choices.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense except that the photos are grouped in 2 separate, the "camera" folder and the " backup " folder. Even if it doesn't take up space can I safely delete them? I'm kinda OCD and I hate the clutter. Also, when u go to menu and look it doesn't give me a local option.

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm running a custom rom. My wife's is stock and she does not have the local option. You can delete from that album and it will not delete from your device. It will only delete from the online backup folder.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Not true. I actually had trouble getting it to stop backing up all my photos. I don't use it, I use Dropbox auto-upload. In the backup assistant menu you can select photos, videos, contacts as choices.

Well i tried it and it didn't work. I called Verizon and the representative told me that it doesn't work on the GS3. She said I should download an app to store my pics or back them up on my sd card. Every time I tried to use it I got an error message saying "this is not supported on your device". Never worked for me, only worked for contacts but never media. I'm stock and not rooted.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Well i tried it and it didn't work. I called Verizon and the representative told me that it doesn't work on the GS3. She said I should download an app to store my pics or back them up on my sd card. Every time I tried to use it I got an error message saying "this is not supported on your device". Never worked for me, only worked for contacts but never media. I'm stock and not rooted.

Rep's don't know squat. It worked too well for me. Search posts here and you will find my posts about how to actually get it to shut off. That was when I was on stock ICS, not rooted.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't use Backup Assistant. Hell, it even backs up the phone icons. I send my pics to my Google drive, or Photobucket.
Not worried about music as I have it all on my computer.
Contacts are backed up at Google.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't use Backup Assistant. Hell, it even backs up the phone icons. I send my pics to my Google drive, or Photobucket.
Not worried about music as I have it all on my computer.
Contacts are backed up at Google.

That's why I originally decided to get rid of it. It was backing up all little images from my Touchdown email app. Was in the thousands.