iPhone to Galaxy S3? Convince me!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
My wife wants a smartphone. My wife is hugely intelligent - she is a master teacher, has her masters in education and curriculum instruction, and has a mind like a steel trap. But man, that woman cannot copy and paste, figure out how to save files to thumb drives. how to arrange columns in Excel - nothing. She has a tech blind spot a mile wide, which mystifies me. But I've been a computer nerd since the 70s, so who am I to judge. So far I have refused to buy her a smartphone, but if I do it will be an iPhone.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
My wife wants a smartphone. My wife is hugely intelligent - she is a master teacher, has her masters in education and curriculum instruction, and has a mind like a steel trap. But man, that woman cannot copy and paste, figure out how to save files to thumb drives. how to arrange columns in Excel - nothing. She has a tech blind spot a mile wide, which mystifies me. But I've been a computer nerd since the 70s, so who am I to judge. So far I have refused to buy her a smartphone, but if I do it will be an iPhone.
I think you and i have the same bride Mike! As much as an apple fan im not, i too may go that same route.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have worked with many schools over the years and 2 things I have learned.

1. Teachers are the hardest people to teach anything.

2. 90% of teachers know nothing about computers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone (like every other Apple product) is extrememly over priced. I like to say "Anything Apple can do, Droid can do better and cheaper". I was not a fan at all of the 5 compared to the S3. There was no contest when it came to typing, using and playing on the phone.

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Well, thanks everyone for your insights!!

As it turns out, we DID swap her iPhone for an S3 and she loves it! WAY more customization and it easily does the few things on the iPhone that she liked. She actually came from a Droid X so she knows what Android can do, but (since she has an iPad) I think she got caught up in the Apple hype for the phone.

She IS a teacher and IS in the 10% that know about computers and Androids (I guess I have myself to blame since she knew very little before meeting me!)

wolverine318

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

As a physics teacher

1. Those of us that have graduated with our MA in educational studies the past few years have high standards for the practice of education thanks to recent legislation and education reform. Thankfully the bad apples in education are being weeded out. 2. I guess I am in that 10% that is talented in programming in several languages and scripts. I include programming in Java for my high school physics curriculum.

Now on topic: I came from an iphone 4. I regularly jailbroke my iphone to access the same features that are standard with stock ICS. Tell your wife that android is about a generation ahead of iOS. The learning curve is not that steep going from iOS to android 4.1. Most features from iOS and associated apps can be done faster and cheaper.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
As a physics teacher

1. Those of us that have graduated with our MA in educational studies the past few years have high standards for the practice of education thanks to recent legislation and education reform. Thankfully the bad apples in education are being weeded out. 2. I guess I am in that 10% that is talented in programming in several languages and scripts. I include programming in Java for my high school physics curriculum.

Now on topic: I came from an iphone 4. I regularly jailbroke my iphone to access the same features that are standard with stock ICS. Tell your wife that android is about a generation ahead of iOS. The learning curve is not that steep going from iOS to android 4.1. Most features from iOS and associated apps can be done faster and cheaper.
Yes. There are definitely some who know their stuff and any teacher I've met that does know computers typically knows a ton. But I would still stick to my 10% :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx